By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: "MHW can't be done on Switch." But might make a Switch specific MH game. (Rumor)

ARamdomGamer said:
I find it hilarious that a couple of people here think that Monster Hunter of all things, wouldn't sell well on the Switch.

Did someone say that?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

You should worry less about Monster Hunter on Switch, and maybe worry about the average at best interest for Monster Hunter World in Japan.

What guarantee is there for Capcom that Monster Hunter will be a worldwide sensation a second, third time around?
I saw it all over social media and Twitch for the weeks following release, I had one friend who played it every day for like a month. Since then I haven't seen him or hardly anyone playing it, don't really see any buzz for it.
Week-to-week it's struggling to outsell games like Horizon: Zero Dawn (which came out almost a year earlier) on the same system.

Is it possible that maybe Japanese and Western gamers just have different taste?

it sold 3 million in japan alone so not sure it was that big WW to begin with.

quickrick said:
Nautilus said:

Little about the rest?Really?Have you been knowlingly ignoring all the success stories of third party games on the Switch?Both from big publishers and indies?

I agree about indies, but big publishers, not really. do we even know have one game that has crossed 1 million? even by those standard 1 million is ok and not a success story.

Skyrim probably already passed 1 million units sold.Bomberman R too, and if it didnt, its close enough.Other than that, Bethesda has said time and time again that they were really satisfied with Skyrim and Doom sales on the Switch, and Wolf II probably wont be much different in terms of success.Not only that, but they also said that they have more games in store for the system.EA was also really satisfied with FIFA 2018 sales(if we believe VGC numbers, its also getting close to 1 million, if not reached it already), so satisfied that they are bring FIFA 19 over too.Then there is NBA 2K series which while I dont exactly remember them saying anything, they are bring NBA 2K19 so I guess the first game was deemed profitable.And I mean, 1 million is a big number anyway you see it, and considering the Switch smaller install base, I cant see it not being considered a success.Its just that we dont have many examples of big AAA games on the Switch, but that will probably be fixed over time.

Then you have titles that are comming in the near future that I believe will be successful, like DB Fighters Z and Tales of Vesperia remastered, and even games that have a chance of having its biggest sales on the Switch, like Starlink(Due to the Starfox content).Thats all the games I can think on top of my head, but while Switch third party sales wont come close to PS4s, saying that Switch owners care little about games that are not Nintendo related is simply a lie.As long as the game is good and the publisher/developer has put enough work for the port/game to work, there will be interest.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
ryuzaki57 said:

There is no 3DS in this debate. It's Switch vs PS4/X1. How can the 20m Switch owners, who've proven multiple times that they care about 1st party games and little about the rest, be a better potential than the 120m PS4/X1 audience which buys millions of 3rd party games every month? 

Little about the rest?Really?Have you been knowlingly ignoring all the success stories of third party games on the Switch?Both from big publishers and indies?

Can you give me examples and figures for "all the success stories" on Switch from big 3rd party publishers?

ryuzaki57 said:
Nautilus said:

Can you give me examples and figures for "all the success stories" on Switch from big 3rd party publishers?

Probably referencing games that sell faster on Switch, like Disgaea 5.

Fact of the matter, though, is with the maybe exception of Mario/Rabbids, all of top 10 best selling Switch games are Nintendo first party. Coming in at 11 is Skyrim with less than 1m units sold since launch, and the next (and last that I can't find) Nintendo IP is Fire Emblem Warriors at number 15. It's not a stretch at all to suggest that Switch fans care less about 3rd party games, but this isn't including digital downloads so your mileage may vary.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
This is a constant towards Nintendo systems and has gotten a bit old over the years. The Wii was popular yet had to go through this same situation. Now the Switch as well.

They know they could cut it down and still sell very well on the switch. Just like when they put games on other handhelds.

It's not like the gaming community keeps asking Nintendo to release hardware a generation behind the rest of the industry in power. And so long as they do, reasonable people will point out that not every game in the current generation will be capable of running on that lower power Nintendo platform.

As for cutting the game down to run on Switch, base PS4 can barely keep the game above 20fps. While I know it isn't a clear indicator of ability, the base PS4 has three times the flops as a docked Switch. It's not happening.

Last edited by Azuren - on 30 June 2018

ryuzaki57 said:
Nautilus said:

You are a writer and you are not familiar with them?Makes me wonder if you have some sort of bias towards Nintendo.Hmmmmmmm....

Anyway, here is a previous post I wrote:

"Skyrim probably already passed 1 million units sold.Bomberman R too, and if it didnt, its close enough.Other than that, Bethesda has said time and time again that they were really satisfied with Skyrim and Doom sales on the Switch, and Wolf II probably wont be much different in terms of success.Not only that, but they also said that they have more games in store for the system.EA was also really satisfied with FIFA 2018 sales(if we believe VGC numbers, its also getting close to 1 million, if its not there already), so satisfied that they are bringing FIFA 19 over too.Then there is NBA 2K series which while I dont exactly remember them saying anything, they are bring NBA 2K19 so I guess the first game was deemed profitable.And I mean, 1 million is a big number however you see it, and considering the Switch smaller install base, I cant see it not being considered a success.Its just that we dont have many examples of big AAA games on the Switch, but that will probably be fixed over time."

As for other success stories, there is the first Overcooked which sold 500k some months ago.Hollow Knight that just announced that it sold 250k in two weeks.Blossom Tales that sold 10 times, if Im not mistaken, more in the Switch compared to all other versions combined, Gold Story which was a big success according to the developers, though I dont remember if they have given an exact number.There is also Image & Form games which sell the most on Nintendo systems.The same with Yatch Club with its game Shovel Knight.Shinen with Fast RMX, and so on.

So yeah, many success stories.Though considering your tendencies towards Nintendo, you will probably say these numbers are too "small" to be considered a success, and they are mostly just indies and not big games and so on.Im not denying that Nintendo games do the heavy lifting in terms of software, Im just contesting the absurd claim that gamers that own a Switch care for little else other than Nintendo developed games.As the number of Switch sold increases, so will the software, both first party and third party.But even then, considering the install base and the numbers, many developers are already going out of their way to say that they are extremely happy with the performance of their games on the system.So if those are not success stories, I dont know what they are.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

This is exactly what I said and people here got upset, saying the Switch can handle it. lol

Mnementh said:
HintHRO said:

Is that why Fortnite on Switch is 30fps and on PC/X1 60fps? Is that why PC gamers are able to play with eachother with such enormous variety in hardware/performance? 

Again, you lose out in a sidetrack. WiiU could do MonHun ported form 3DS in 1080p60. There is nothing in Double Cross that seems to up the challenge in any way. The decision to have double cross on Switch in 30fps is no testament to hardware limitations. It's a decision from Capcom, probably to keep the port cheap.

''WiiU could do MonHun ported form 3DS in 1080p60.''

MonHun 3DS on Wii U was 30fps.

''It's a decision from Capcom, probably to keep the port cheap.''

:')  Is that why Street Fighter 2 port is 60fps?

Making a game 60fps doesn't add anything to the cost, lmao. The things Switch owners come up with to justify last gen performance is hilarious. 

Shaunodon said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Sounds like a waste of time and resources. Why make a MH for the 20m Switches when the 120m PS4/X1 userbase has just showed you that they were ready to buy more and more expensive MH, with record-breaking digital ratio?

Because they know there's a demand and userbase almost as large on the Switch/3DS, and they won't have to bust their balls or budget having to make the game pretty for them. Why would they limit their sales potential?

More importantly: They brought MHW to XB1, which is a platform that probably sells less MonHun than Switch would.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]