By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: "MHW can't be done on Switch." But might make a Switch specific MH game. (Rumor)

HintHRO said:
Mnementh said:

Again, you lose out in a sidetrack. WiiU could do MonHun ported form 3DS in 1080p60. There is nothing in Double Cross that seems to up the challenge in any way. The decision to have double cross on Switch in 30fps is no testament to hardware limitations. It's a decision from Capcom, probably to keep the port cheap.

''WiiU could do MonHun ported form 3DS in 1080p60.''

MonHun 3DS on Wii U was 30fps.

''It's a decision from Capcom, probably to keep the port cheap.''

:')  Is that why Street Fighter 2 port is 60fps?

Making a game 60fps doesn't add anything to the cost, lmao. The things Switch owners come up with to justify last gen performance is hilarious. 

Eh, I see you're right. I remember from back then, that was said MH3GHD was 1080p60. Seemingly it has an odd framerate above 30 (I read 38 or so).

But again, it more shows how lazy was Capcom. MH3GHD is in no way a graphic marvel or pushing technology. If you compare with BOTW, you can see the WiiU is capable of more.

But don't get me wrong: saying it is an lazy port with no real effort on Capcoms side is not saying they are in the wrong. It is an obvious profit-maximizing strategy. WiiU didn't sell enough to justify more than the test-port and 3DS just were the main platform for MonHun back then.

But you're implying the Switch cannot do more. It can as some other games show. Capcom just decided it wasn't worth the effort.

For the question if it is possible to port MHW... well, that's more difficult. I think it is possible, if you throw effort at it, like Wolfenstein. As Capcom seems to look for the most effortless buck they can make, I don't think it will happen. Either way, if they bring an original MonHun to Switch, I'm fine with that. Hope they do though, Capcoms support for Switch is not very good.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
HintHRO said:

''WiiU could do MonHun ported form 3DS in 1080p60.''

MonHun 3DS on Wii U was 30fps.

''It's a decision from Capcom, probably to keep the port cheap.''

:')  Is that why Street Fighter 2 port is 60fps?

Making a game 60fps doesn't add anything to the cost, lmao. The things Switch owners come up with to justify last gen performance is hilarious. 

Eh, I see you're right. I remember from back then, that was said MH3GHD was 1080p60. Seemingly it has an odd framerate above 30 (I read 38 or so).

But again, it more shows how lazy was Capcom. MH3GHD is in no way a graphic marvel or pushing technology. If you compare with BOTW, you can see the WiiU is capable of more.

But don't get me wrong: saying it is an lazy port with no real effort on Capcoms side is not saying they are in the wrong. It is an obvious profit-maximizing strategy. WiiU didn't sell enough to justify more than the test-port and 3DS just were the main platform for MonHun back then.

But you're implying the Switch cannot do more. It can as some other games show. Capcom just decided it wasn't worth the effort.

For the question if it is possible to port MHW... well, that's more difficult. I think it is possible, if you throw effort at it, like Wolfenstein. As Capcom seems to look for the most effortless buck they can make, I don't think it will happen. Either way, if they bring an original MonHun to Switch, I'm fine with that. Hope they do though, Capcoms support for Switch is not very good.

I will believe the Switch can do more when I see it. Blaming third party for being lazy is a weak excuse when you consider the quality titles they put on other consoles. Capcom for example had an outstanding E3 and RE7 and MHW are games I most enjoyed this year. Saying Capcom is lazy is a bizarre statement if you ask me. I would forgive the lack of hardware power if Switch had a way more interesting software line up, but even with last gen technology Nintendo isn't able to keep up with the others.

Azuren said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Can you give me examples and figures for "all the success stories" on Switch from big 3rd party publishers?

Probably referencing games that sell faster on Switch, like Disgaea 5.

Fact of the matter, though, is with the maybe exception of Mario/Rabbids, all of top 10 best selling Switch games are Nintendo first party. Coming in at 11 is Skyrim with less than 1m units sold since launch, and the next (and last that I can't find) Nintendo IP is Fire Emblem Warriors at number 15. It's not a stretch at all to suggest that Switch fans care less about 3rd party games, but this isn't including digital downloads so your mileage may vary.

Eh, that Nintendo dominates the charts is because most 3rd-party games aren't released on Switch in the first place. For games that are released, the sales are around the level of the Xbox One: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8833537

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

HintHRO said:
Mnementh said:

I will believe the Switch can do more when I see it. Blaming third party for being lazy is a weak excuse when you consider the quality titles they put on other consoles. Capcom for example had an outstanding E3 and RE7 and MHW are games I most enjoyed this year. Saying Capcom is lazy is a bizarre statement if you ask me. I would forgive the lack of hardware power if Switch had a way more interesting software line up, but even with last gen technology Nintendo isn't able to keep up with the others.

Oh, I agree not everything is possible on Switch, or at least it takes much more effort. But BOTW and Wolfenstein show that a lot more than that is possible. It is as always a question of how much resources you apply to an project. This is what I mean with the lazy ports of Capcom. Capcom made cheap ports with low effort. Bethesda was obviously willing to do a bit more.

John2290 said:

Bethesda and other western studios need to learn in this regard because if games like this can work this well then there should be no excuse for buggy messes like Fallout 4 no matter how dynamic or vast the game is.

The sheer amount of quests, NPCs, locations, etc on those games dwarfs games like MHW, and thus, it's inevitable many bugs and issues arise. It's just a matter of volume.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Azuren said:

Probably referencing games that sell faster on Switch, like Disgaea 5.

Fact of the matter, though, is with the maybe exception of Mario/Rabbids, all of top 10 best selling Switch games are Nintendo first party. Coming in at 11 is Skyrim with less than 1m units sold since launch, and the next (and last that I can't find) Nintendo IP is Fire Emblem Warriors at number 15. It's not a stretch at all to suggest that Switch fans care less about 3rd party games, but this isn't including digital downloads so your mileage may vary.

Eh, that Nintendo dominates the charts is because most 3rd-party games aren't released on Switch in the first place. For games that are released, the sales are around the level of the Xbox One: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8833537

I'm not taking about 3rd parties selling better on one platform over another. I'm saying that Switch owners don't care as much about third party as they do first party, which is clearly observable in sales figures.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
Mnementh said:

I'm not taking about 3rd parties selling better on one platform over another. I'm saying that Switch owners don't care as much about third party as they do first party, which is clearly observable in sales figures.

Again, as most great selling 3rd-parties aren't even released on Switch they can't sell. You can only compare multiplats, and in this area Switch keeps level with XB1.

For first party the same can be said. I think everyone agrees that many Nintendo titles are of high quality. While Sony can deliver some titles of high quality, they overall lag behind. Microsoft can't deliver first party content to match the other two. So again: non-existant titles can't sell.

To show this difference, let's take a look at the highest selling new first-party offerings 2017:

Nintendo Sony Microsoft
Super Mario Odyssey: 7.7M Horizon: Zero Dawn: 4.5M Forza Motorsport 7: 1.1M
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 6.3M Gran Turismo Sport: 2.8M  
Breath of the Wild: 6.0M Uncharted: Lost Legacy: 1.8M  
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: 5.3M MLB: The Show: 1.1M  
Splatoon 2: 4.1M    

As you can see it is obvious why people on Switch prefer first party offerings to third party offerings: third party games mostly miss the Switch, while first party content is excellent. For the other consoles it is the other way round. If Sony and Microsoft start to create more desirable first party content, you'll see also gamers on their platforms will start to get more of this content.

Mnementh said:
Azuren said:

Again, as most great selling 3rd-parties aren't even released on Switch they can't sell. You can only compare multiplats, and in this area Switch keeps level with XB1.

For first party the same can be said. I think everyone agrees that many Nintendo titles are of high quality. While Sony can deliver some titles of high quality, they overall lag behind. Microsoft can't deliver first party content to match the other two. So again: non-existant titles can't sell.

To show this difference, let's take a look at the highest selling new first-party offerings 2017:

Nintendo Sony Microsoft

As you can see it is obvious why people on Switch prefer first party offerings to third party offerings: third party games mostly miss the Switch, while first party content is excellent. For the other consoles it is the other way round. If Sony and Microsoft start to create more desirable first party content, you'll see also gamers on their platforms will start to get more of this content.

And again, I'm not talking about other platforms and the third party titles available on them. You can keep spinning, but you're in the mud with no traction. Switch owners, at this point in time, don't care as much about third party as they do first party.

Azuren said:
Mnementh said:

Nintendo Sony Microsoft

And again, I'm not talking about other platforms and the third party titles available on them. You can keep spinning, but you're in the mud with no traction. Switch owners, at this point in time, don't care as much about third party as they do first party.

Sorry, you're not even reading my argument. What you say is basically like this: "Mario games don't sell on PS4. Proof: zero sales. So obviously PS4-gamers don't care about Mario games."

This is your argument. Because unreleased software isn't selling you conclude the Switch gamers don't care for said unreleased software. This is ridiculous.

Mnementh said:
Azuren said:

Sorry, you're not even reading my argument. What you say is basically like this: "Mario games don't sell on PS4. Proof: zero sales. So obviously PS4-gamers don't care about Mario games."

This is your argument. Because unreleased software isn't selling you conclude the Switch gamers don't care for said unreleased software. This is ridiculous.

Good third party games exist on Switch, so your analysis of my argument is more than a little moot. And the fact that not one of those games breaks the top ten is pretty telling.