By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The elephant in the room. Smash is Nintendo's only big game this year.

Is one big game for an entire year acceptable?

Yes. 1 1.52%

No. 30 45.45%

It isn't the only big game this year. 35 53.03%

Total:66
Cerebralbore101 said:
melbye said:
Considered not doing this cause i don't want to start a war, but i feel it's necessary. PS4's second year from November 2014 through November 2015:
LittleBigPlanet 3
Helldivers
Bloodborne
God of War III Remastered
Journey
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Driveclub Bikes
Beyond: Two Souls

How many games by the definition you have given to the Switch-games would you call big? So Bloodborne and nothing else.

Yep. Sony didn't really have much for 2015 either. But the difference is that Sony regularly gets brand new 3rd party games released on their system. So much so, that they don't need to practically single handily support their entire library, in the same way that Nintendo does. 

I mean, look at all the new 3rd party AAA titles for PS4's 2015. There's a lot of them. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps4&cat=0&year=2015&numrev=1&sort=0&letter=&search=

Oh nice! All those games I played on my PC, and Bloodborne.

Thank you again Sony.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

No field battles. Dumbed down capturing mechanics. Sure, it'll sell, but mostly to kids/casuals. 

Yes, but it will sell at least 5 million and will move hardware. Therefore a big gun, although it might not for you. See, I don't like Jump&Runs and therefore Mario Odyssey is not for me, but still I recognize it as a big game. However you dice it, Pokemon is a big deal.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

VGPolyglot said:
JRPGfan said:
If you dont want a dumbed down pokemon.... or a mostly port like Smash game (Im not a smash fan either).
Yeah Id be dissapointed if I was a switch owner about 2018.

But you're not a Switch owner, and I assume it's because the titles don't interest you anyway. But yeah, this year is lacking, I thought 2017 was supposed to be a smaller year so that we could have a great 2018? Now we're supposed to delay that to 2019? I guess Nintendo still haven't fully adjusted to HD gaming if they're still having to delay titles like Fire Emblem and Yoshi.

It's probably more the teams that have mostly developed 3DS titles. HD titles take longer to make now, whether they are big budget titles or not.

Fire Emblem might have taken longer to develop since there's a lot to cover, the SRPG gameplay, the character models, the mechanics, the voice overs, the dialogue, the graphics, etc.

As for Yoshi, who knows. Its similar to that of DKC: TF and Yoshi's Woolly World in terms of delays.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Seriously? People legitimately think the Let's Go games will be good? The gameplay in those makes me cringe.

I would never recognize FIFA as a good game, still it goes on and sells over ten million each year. Good or bad is irrelevant for considering what a big game is. You haven't titled your thead 'Smash is the only good game this year'.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

melbye said:
Considered not doing this cause i don't want to start a war, but i feel it's necessary. PS4's second year from November 2014 through November 2015:
LittleBigPlanet 3
Helldivers
Bloodborne
God of War III Remastered
Journey
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Driveclub Bikes
Beyond: Two Souls

How many games by the definition you have given to the Switch-games would you call big? So Bloodborne and nothing else.

You were even kind enough not to mention PS4's first year, which really compounded with this second year.

Around the Network

Shaunodon said: 

Thank you again Sony.

If Nintendo got every single 3rd party AAA game, like this, then this thread wouldn't exist. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Shaunodon said: 

Thank you again Sony.

If Nintendo got every single 3rd party AAA game, like this, then this thread wouldn't exist. 

But the title clearly states "Nintendo's only big game", not "Switch's only big game", so this is a first-party themed thread.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Shaunodon said: 

Thank you again Sony.

And what do you want them to compromise for that.
Change the whole concept of the Switch so it's just a home console?
Instead of funding more unique titles like Octopath Traveler, spend money making special DLC deals for Call of Duty and Destiny?

If you want a PS4 that badly, go buy one.

I'll spend more money on games for my Switch this year then I did last year. so I have zero problem with what Nintendo releases this year beacuse next year we will see several AAA games from Nintendo.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

But the title clearly states "Nintendo's only big game", not "Switch's only big game", so this is a first-party themed thread.

Right, but if Switch had the kind of 3rd party support that PS4 gets, then I never would have made this thread. Why? Because as long as a bevy of new, quality, AAA games, comes out every year I'm good. But Nintendo just doesn't have that this year IMO. Even if you throw in Octopath, No More Heroes 3 and Valkyria 4, I've still only got four new (not a port, not DLC, not a late release) games for Switch this year. 

Shaunodon said: 
Cerebralbore101 said: 

And what do you want them to compromise for that.
Change the whole concept of the Switch so it's just a home console?
Instead of funding more unique titles like Octopath Traveler, spend money making special DLC deals for Call of Duty and Destiny?

If you want a PS4 that badly, go buy one.

No, I like the Switch hardware just how it is. I just expect a moderately sized amount of new, quality games for it. Just four or five good, and new things a year that I couldn't have played anywhere else. 

Already have a PS4. 

Edit: Except, I do wish Switch had a better battery life. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 24 June 2018