By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The elephant in the room. Smash is Nintendo's only big game this year.

Is one big game for an entire year acceptable?

Yes. 1 1.52%

No. 30 45.45%

It isn't the only big game this year. 35 53.03%

Total:66

How do you guys feel about Super Smash Bros. being the only big AAA Nintendo game this year? 

I thought with the failure of the Wii U, Nintendo had learned its lesson.I thought Switch was going to be a whole new Nintendo.
A Nintendo, that didn't make you wait eons for a good game. A Nintendo that didn't see horrible months long game droughts. But I guess not. 

Around the Network

PortisheadBiscuit said:

No field battles. Dumbed down capturing mechanics. Sure, it'll sell, but mostly to kids/casuals. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

No field battles. Dumbed down capturing mechanics. Sure, it'll sell, but mostly to kids/casuals. 

And that doesn't make it a "big" game? Big implies sales usually ... right?

When will you learn your lesson about being careful with how you create threads. Creating threads is like loving a woman ... you have to be gentle and careful and be meticulous and hit all the right spots .... so I'm told, at least. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Pokemon doesn't count!1!!11!!11!

It's not hardcore enough!

Around the Network

"This game doesn't interest me, therefore it doesn't count".

Seriously? People legitimately think the Let's Go games will be good? The gameplay in those makes me cringe.

Pokemon is still going to sell very well, and as a hardcore Pokemon fan, I'm buying it for nostalgia reasons and just to see Kanto in 3D and hear the music redone.  And besides, there are still trainer battles and leveling up, just no wild grinding which I don't mind for this style of game.

Don't discount Mario Party, it could be huge.

But other than those, yes it's an odd year Nintendo has had so far, which is why it's so surprising to see it still selling so well. I mean we had mostly ports for the entire year and it's selling off old ports and evergreen titles. I still say we wait until their last big online direct to see if anything is coming to fill empty months, but it is strange that Smash is really only one of a few big games for 2018. That being said, Smash and Pokemon will carry the Switch a long ways.

I think Yoshi and Fire Emblem were supposed to be 2018 but got pushed back and I think losing those 2 games has definitely hurt Switch's new game lineup. However, seeing the stiff competition that has been shown by Microsoft and Sony in 2019, I think it's best for Nintendo to save those games for 2019, and hey, they can get away with it so why not? I think 2019 will be similar to Nintendo's 2017 year. I mean, we'll potentially have:

Pikmin 4

Metroid Prime 4

Yoshi

Fire Emblem

Pokemon's Real Entry

Bayonetta 3

Retro's Project
and any other surprises like a Mario RPG, Luigi's Mansion, whatever Chrono Trigger's Director is working on for Switch etc.

2018 will suffer for the sake of 2019 being a great year, and I think that checks out fine. I've gotten/am getting my playtime in for Switch this year.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 24 June 2018

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And that doesn't make it a "big" game? Big implies sales usually ... right?

When will you learn your lesson about being careful with how you create threads. Creating threads is like loving a woman ... you have to be gentle and careful and be meticulous and hit all the right spots .... so I'm told, at least. 

I think he means games with a big budget.

Yeah, it's a bit of a letdown, especially after the Wii U-drought. But atleast early 2019 looks good, so there's that.

village boy learns to jump.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Yeah, that's another big game coming to the Switch. I know it has Pokemon Go mechanics for wild Pokemon, but that doesn't mean it isn't a big game.