By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The elephant in the room. Smash is Nintendo's only big game this year.

Is one big game for an entire year acceptable?

Yes. 1 1.52%

No. 30 45.45%

It isn't the only big game this year. 35 53.03%

Total:66
OTBWY said:
"This game doesn't interest me, therefore it doesn't count".

The thread feels that way.

Around the Network

It's crazy that you think Pokemon let's go will actually be a bad game. No mainline Pokemon title has actually been bad, it's a remake, and feedback has been positive. It will review like a normal Pokemon game.

games Nintendo has for 2018:

Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu & Eevee
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Super Mario Party
Mario Tennis Aces
Kirby Star Allies
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Sushi Striker
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

and if you count DLC:
Splatoon 2 - Octo Expansion
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Expansion Pass
continued Splatoon 2 additional content
continued Mario Tennis Aces additional content

not to mention several big AAA games from third parties:
Bayonetta 1 + 2
Bayonetta 3
Octopath Traveler
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes

i think they have plenty

I'm not sure which 2018 titles I'll get myself, definitely Smash, but outside of that I am not too sure. I want the Xenoblade 2 expansion as that is surprisingly getting a retail release, but that's all I can really think of first-party wise unless I end up picking up a game that already came out later on (like Mario Tennis Aces).

Edit: Oh and if ports count, I got Bayonetta 2, and may end up getting Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker eventually.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 24 June 2018

Yerm said:

games Nintendo has for 2018:

Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu & Eevee
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Super Mario Party
Mario Tennis Aces
Kirby Star Allies
DKC: Tropical Freeze
Sushi Striker
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

and if you count DLC:
Splatoon 2 - Octo Expansion
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Expansion Pass
continued Splatoon 2 additional content
continued Mario Tennis Aces additional content

not to mention several big AAA games from third parties:
Bayonetta 1 + 2
Bayonetta 3
Octopath Traveler
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes

i think they have plenty

Bayonetta 3 isn't coming this year. 

Ports, B-list titles, and DLC does not a great year make. 

Mario Party has never been good IMO. 

Not sure if Travis Strikes Again will be good or not, but if it was, that would be a real relief. After losing Fire Emblem, I feel like I deserve some other game to make up for it

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 24 June 2018

Around the Network

Considered not doing this cause i don't want to start a war, but i feel it's necessary. PS4's second year from November 2014 through November 2015:
LittleBigPlanet 3
Helldivers
Bloodborne
God of War III Remastered
Journey
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Driveclub Bikes
Beyond: Two Souls

How many games by the definition you have given to the Switch-games would you call big? So Bloodborne and nothing else.

Much agreed with the OP. Nintendo dropped the ball, and as a Wii U owner who was looking for an excuse to buy a Switch, it simply never emerged in this E3. I'll wait until Metroid or other big titles emerge and I'm kind of worried that after the amazing first year (though not for me, as aside from Odyssey there's very little on Switch I haven't already played on Wii U) Nintendo has lost pace and focus already. I hope they prove me wrong in coming months because right now Smash is simply not enough.

melbye said:
Considered not doing this cause i don't want to start a war, but i feel it's necessary. PS4's second year from November 2014 through November 2015:
LittleBigPlanet 3
Helldivers
Bloodborne
God of War III Remastered
Journey
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Driveclub Bikes
Beyond: Two Souls

How many games by the definition you have given to the Switch-games would you call big? So Bloodborne and nothing else.

Yep. Sony didn't really have much for 2015 either. But the difference is that Sony regularly gets brand new 3rd party games released on their system. So much so, that they don't need to practically single handily support their entire library, in the same way that Nintendo does. 

I mean, look at all the new 3rd party AAA titles for PS4's 2015. There's a lot of them. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps4&cat=0&year=2015&numrev=1&sort=0&letter=&search=

Here is how 2018 has panned out for me in terms of games I played/am planning to play:

January: Nothing
February: Bayonetta 1 + 2
March: Kirby
April: Nothing
May: DK Country; Hyrule Warriors; PixelJunk Monsters
June: YS VIII, Hollow Knight, Mario Tennis Aces, Wolfenstein II, Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
July: Captain Toad, Octopath Traveller
August: Monster Hunter Generationations Ultimate
September: Dragon Ball FighterZ, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna
October: Starlink: Battle for Atlas
November: Pokemon Let's Go
December: Smash Bros.
No Date 2018: TWEWY, Tales of Vesperia

So far the year is packed for me. Would I like more games from Nintendo's big ace franchise? Sure I would. However, I don't find myself lacking things to play on my Switch. I think much of the OPs disappointment here can be traced to the E3 Direct, I very much doubt there would be this much negativity if Nintendo teased more announcements beyond 2018 (which is what pretty much every other publisher did this year). This why I think Nintendo should change its E3 strategy.

Smash Bros., Pokemon Let's Go, and Super Mario Party are the three big games left for this year. So no, Smash is not the only one. They have those three to go along with Octopath Traveler and countless 3rd party games to back them up and fill in the gaps.
I think this year is just fine.