By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Weekly, 5th May 2018, Software

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said:

The only other Wii U ports are Pokken & Bayonetta.

Pokken has already outsold the lifetime sales of the original version and still showing solid legs.

At the last presentation, Nintendo showed that Bayonetta is ~33% above the original in the same time frame.

In other words both are following a similar trajectory as Mario Kart.

I know this. But these games sold poorly so these spikes are all relative, they aren't big at all. And given how many of these are re-purchased, I still don't find this a legitimate case for some huge new market (frankly I think most people who get a switch only care about new games, except for Mario Kart). 

You say they are following a similar trajectory to mario kart but you are purposely being selective. For Pokken for instance you just said the games legs are "solid". Yes, an ambiguous, meaningless, descriptor. I love those! And for Bayonetta, one of the worst selling exclusives, you used a big stat to make it seem significant. Again, because of percentages being relative, it's not.  You want to know the difference? Mario kart will actually continue to sell. Current percentages for Mario Kart compared to other ports will probably only continue to grow in difference in favor of MK, and by this holiday, and the next, until we get a MK9. 

Your post would make sense if I was saying the ports weren't selling significantly well for just that, a port. I didn't say that though. Or if I just flat out said they were selling badly. Didn't say that either. 

Well of course they are relative, isnt that the whole point of Delphins post, comparing the sales of ports to their original versions? You said this has been happening consistently with every port except for MK8 but the other 2 ports are following the same trend as MK8, which is selling more than original versions in shorter time frames.

You're also going to call me out for saying "solid" when you are making statements like this, "probably half the sales or more are repurchasers". I would like to see the data you used to come to that conclusion.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Jranation said:
6 Switch games + Labo in top 10! Amazing!

Yep, and the highest third party Switch title is #26. And the highest third party Switch title without Mario on the cover is #33. Switch owners love Nintendo games and pretty much shun everything else at retail.

Are you trying to say that third party games are selling bad on the Switch? Obviously if it was they would have stopped supporting the Switch. 

 

And obviously its not going to sell as much as the top tier Nintendo franchise. If you think it will then LMAO! You got some high level of confidence! 



Pocky Lover Boy! 

zorg1000 said:

Well of course they are relative, isnt that the whole point of Delphins post, comparing the sales of ports to their original versions? You said this has been happening consistently with every port except for MK8 but the other 2 ports are following the same trend as MK8, which is selling more than original versions in shorter time frames.

You're also going to call me out for saying "solid" when you are making statements like this, "probably half the sales or more are repurchasers". I would like to see the data you used to come to that conclusion.

@bolded Sure, but you're trying to make an argument against my reply by bringing up a trend, but my point doesn't go against your point either. They aren't mutually exclusive. I know that all these ports will sell moderately better than their predecessors (could have sworn I wrote that in my OG comment but I guess I didn't lol), my point was literally just that the sales difference won't be so significant that the same old tired point for the ports existence would be instantly validated. 

There is no data on it, so the whole "your point works against" you thing isn't really working for you, lol. You can't criticize someone for being ambiguous when there is literally no reference to go on. Especially when it's well known people rebuy games as ports all the time. Whereas, I very much can criticize just saying something has "solid legs" as a way of trying to make it look as if a thrown egg will have the same  trajectory as a bullet. 

I think the problem is we aren't even disagreeing but you really want the improved sales to mean we do have to disagree. Look, these ports sell really well for what they are, and all you can really ask for is for them to sell better than the incredibly lackluster sales of their original editions. I think though it's more than obvious I'm not talking about that, though.



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Any reason you don't post these under Latest Charts? Anywho, Tropical Freeze only opened slightly better than it did on Wii U despite 3x the install base (though also $10 pricier), but maybe it'll have significantly better legs this time.

This has been happening pretty consistently with every Switch port except Mario Kart. It's one of the reasons I hate the "ports count as part of a lineup because people haven't played them before!" argument, considering probably half the sales or more are previous owners. Yes yes blah blah blah i disagree alchemist you're a disgusting sack of shit blah blah blah

Anyhoo, the Switch is doing incredibly strong in terms of software. PS4's numbas seem incredibly boring but i'm sure someone will do the math and find that it's the raining champ including digital

That argument doesn't need to be made, ports are part of the line-up period.

Jranation said:
Megiddo said:

Yep, and the highest third party Switch title is #26. And the highest third party Switch title without Mario on the cover is #33. Switch owners love Nintendo games and pretty much shun everything else at retail.

Are you trying to say that third party games are selling bad on the Switch? Obviously if it was they would have stopped supporting the Switch. 

 

And obviously its not going to sell as much as the top tier Nintendo franchise. If you think it will then LMAO! You got some high level of confidence! 

The argument of Megiddo is flawed in it's core: if 3rd-party games aren't released on Switch in the first place, they can't sell. Megiddo claims the highest 3rd-party title for Switch is placed only #26. But let's take a look which 3rd-party titles are placed higher on other platforms: PUBG, Yakuza 6, Powerful Pro Baseball, Star Wars Battlefront II, Crash Bandicoot, Call of Duty: WWII, Monster Hunter World, Grand Theft Auto V, FIFA 18, Far Cry 5. Of all these titles only FIFA is released on Switch (Crash will be released later on Switch). Yes, FIFA sells pretty bad, but even for Xbox One FIFA charts way lower at #62. So, Megiddos argument is basically: look how all the unreleased games aren't selling. Bad Switch!



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

I mean, first party titles make up only ~10% of Nintendo Switch software available at retail. So if your argument is that there aren't any third-party games on the system it's a rather humorous one. @Mnementh

Crash should be interesting. How well do you expect it to do on the Switch? It's a platformer with a cartoonish look and is family friendly, so it hits pretty much all the checks for the Nintendo fanbase.



Megiddo said:

I mean, first party titles make up only ~10% of Nintendo Switch software available at retail. So if your argument is that there aren't any third-party games on the system it's a rather humorous one. @Mnementh

Crash should be interesting. How well do you expect it to do on the Switch? It's a platformer with a cartoonish look and is family friendly, so it hits pretty much all the checks for the Nintendo fanbase.

I don't know what is humorous about this. Non-existing software can't sell. So your argument that 3rd-party software sells worse on Switch is flawed. As I showed here, if 3rd-party software is released on Switch, it sells about as well as on XBox One.

I agree about Crash. Crash probably will do pretty well on Switch, as Rayman Legends (which sells launch aligned even in front of the PS4-version) and Sonic Forces already do. I think it is plausible that Crash sells more on Switch than on XBox One.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Bayonetta, DK and Labo aren't showing up on Switch's page...



1doesnotsimply

Mnementh said:
Megiddo said:

I mean, first party titles make up only ~10% of Nintendo Switch software available at retail. So if your argument is that there aren't any third-party games on the system it's a rather humorous one. @Mnementh

Crash should be interesting. How well do you expect it to do on the Switch? It's a platformer with a cartoonish look and is family friendly, so it hits pretty much all the checks for the Nintendo fanbase.

I don't know what is humorous about this. Non-existing software can't sell. So your argument that 3rd-party software sells worse on Switch is flawed. As I showed here, if 3rd-party software is released on Switch, it sells about as well as on XBox One.

I agree about Crash. Crash probably will do pretty well on Switch, as Rayman Legends (which sells launch aligned even in front of the PS4-version) and Sonic Forces already do. I think it is plausible that Crash sells more on Switch than on XBox One.

Games selling better on Switch than Xbox.

Rayman Legends
DB Xenoverse 2
Cartoon Network Battle Crashers
RBI Baseball
Troll and I
Has-Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
Rime
Portal Knights
Cars 3
Resident Evil: Revelations
Lego Ninjago Movie
Just Dance 2018
Sonic Forces
LA Noire
Ben 10
Attack on Titan 2

I'm not sure where you're getting data for Resident Evil Revelations. Are you pitting numbers for Revelations Collection against only Revelations 1 on X1 instead of also including Revelations 2?

Are you noticing a main theme here? LA Noire is the only western developed game that's not cartoony/kid-friendly that's above X1. And that's because most the people who have an X1 already played it on the 360 where it sold over 2.5 million copies.

So when a game is announced that isn't cartoony and/or kid-friendly then don't be shocked if there isn't a Switch version. Since PS4 and X1 have the same x86 architecture and have similar specifications the amount of effort needed to make a version for X1 when already making one for PS4 is scant. That's not the case for the Switch.



Sorry guys, double post ^^



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909