By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Weekly, 5th May 2018, Software

Megiddo said:
Mnementh said:

I don't know what is humorous about this. Non-existing software can't sell. So your argument that 3rd-party software sells worse on Switch is flawed. As I showed here, if 3rd-party software is released on Switch, it sells about as well as on XBox One.

I agree about Crash. Crash probably will do pretty well on Switch, as Rayman Legends (which sells launch aligned even in front of the PS4-version) and Sonic Forces already do. I think it is plausible that Crash sells more on Switch than on XBox One.

Games selling better on Switch than Xbox.

Rayman Legends
DB Xenoverse 2
Cartoon Network Battle Crashers
RBI Baseball
Troll and I
Has-Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
Rime
Portal Knights
Cars 3
Resident Evil: Revelations
Lego Ninjago Movie
Just Dance 2018
Sonic Forces
LA Noire
Ben 10
Attack on Titan 2

I'm not sure where you're getting data for Resident Evil Revelations. Are you pitting numbers for Revelations Collection against only Revelations 1 on X1 instead of also including Revelations 2?

Are you noticing a main theme here? LA Noire is the only western developed game that's not cartoony/kid-friendly that's above X1. And that's because most the people who have an X1 already played it on the 360 where it sold over 2.5 million copies.

So when a game is announced that isn't cartoony and/or kid-friendly then don't be shocked if there isn't a Switch version. Since PS4 and X1 have the same x86 architecture and have similar specifications the amount of effort needed to make a version for X1 when already making one for PS4 is scant. That's not the case for the Switch.

Not sure what point you're actually trying to make here - first of all you criticise the Switch for not moving much 3rd party software compared to 1st party.

When it is pointed out that the Switch fares quite well when comparing the 3rd party software that has been released you then go on to point out that we shouldn't be shocked when more ambitious multiplatform games aren't released for Switch...?

Also, defining a successful Switch release as one that outsells the XB1 version doesn't seem fair, since A) it has a much bigger install base & B) a lot of the games released on XB1 much earlier than Switch.

Your arguments are kind of all over the place and kind of smack of you wanting to be negative about Switch, but you're not quite sure how to go about it...



Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

So it's undertracked?

I personally think so.

Me too.



zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

FIFA should be outselling 1-2 Switch. There is a whole lot more value and replayability in playing the world's #1 sport on the go than a tech demo that gets old after not much time at all. Doom should have done way better considering all the care that went into the port and the lack of similar games on the system.

Doom falls into one of the categories i just listed, it released 1.5 years after the PS4/XBO/PC versions. The amount of care doesnt really matter when the fanbase already owns the game.

So you think the majority of Switch owners have already played Doom on PS4/XBO/PC?

Funny how being years-old ports don't matter if it's Mario Kart or Donkey Kong yet it somehow matters for third party games.



Biggerboat1 said:
Megiddo said:

Games selling better on Switch than Xbox.

Rayman Legends
DB Xenoverse 2
Cartoon Network Battle Crashers
RBI Baseball
Troll and I
Has-Been Heroes
Lego City Undercover
Rime
Portal Knights
Cars 3
Resident Evil: Revelations
Lego Ninjago Movie
Just Dance 2018
Sonic Forces
LA Noire
Ben 10
Attack on Titan 2

I'm not sure where you're getting data for Resident Evil Revelations. Are you pitting numbers for Revelations Collection against only Revelations 1 on X1 instead of also including Revelations 2?

Are you noticing a main theme here? LA Noire is the only western developed game that's not cartoony/kid-friendly that's above X1. And that's because most the people who have an X1 already played it on the 360 where it sold over 2.5 million copies.

So when a game is announced that isn't cartoony and/or kid-friendly then don't be shocked if there isn't a Switch version. Since PS4 and X1 have the same x86 architecture and have similar specifications the amount of effort needed to make a version for X1 when already making one for PS4 is scant. That's not the case for the Switch.

Not sure what point you're actually trying to make here - first of all you criticise the Switch for not moving much 3rd party software compared to 1st party.

When it is pointed out that the Switch fares quite well when comparing the 3rd party software that has been released you then go on to point out that we shouldn't be shocked when more ambitious multiplatform games aren't released for Switch...?

Also, defining a successful Switch release as one that outsells the XB1 version doesn't seem fair, since A) it has a much bigger install base & B) a lot of the games released on XB1 much earlier than Switch.

Your arguments are kind of all over the place and kind of smack of you wanting to be negative about Switch, but you're not quite sure how to go about it...

I pointed out that the western developed 3rd party software that sells well on switch relative to other consoles is primarily cartoony and kid friendly. If that argument is too "all over the place" for you then I advise you to read it over and over and then process the information in that sentence in your brain until you can comprehend its meaning. It's an extremely simple argument that is well-founded by the data that has been provided in this thread. So is it that you really cannot understand data-derived simple statements and logic or are you just attempting to obfuscate and deflect by pretending to not understand?

Last edited by Megiddo - on 19 June 2018

I really think Microsoft and Nintendo should have had one big hitter in the first half of the year. The biggest tile for XBOX so far this year was Far Cry 5 and for Nintendo it was Kirby as new 1M sellers in 2018. Sony meanwhile had Monster Hunter World, God of War, Far Cry 5 and Dragonball Fighter Z.

Sonys Software output has been pretty amazing so far while Nintendo is putting all its cards on the Pokemon/Smash combination at the end of the year. What has Microsoft in store for the 2nd half of the year?



Around the Network

Microsoft has RDR2, Call of Duty, Battlefield. Maybe Forza is this year? I can't remember honestly.



Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:

Which 3rd party retail titles should be selling a similar amount as the Nintendo IP on Switch?

FIFA should be outselling 1-2 Switch. There is a whole lot more value and replayability in playing the world's #1 sport on the go than a tech demo that gets old after not much time at all. Doom should have done way better considering all the care that went into the port and the lack of similar games on the system.

Doom was ported during a heavy schedule right after Mario Odyssey, got barely any marketing cause it came out almost last minute and everybody was waiting for Skyrim which also came out in a busy schedule.

 

They are late ports, Fifa 18 was average at launch and got bad press. 1-2 Switch is selling well in japan and that's pretty much why it sold well. 



Mar1217 said:
JRPGfan said:
How high do you guys think God of War is now (in june)? around 7m?

If we go with a 40% ratio add-on to the numbers we have right now, it should be approx. around 4.8M-5M at the beginning of May.

Numbers have also largely decreased each week,by half I would say.

Right now, a more conservative estimate would be around 6M, but 7M seems plausible if it were to do better numbers in the next weeks than it is doing right now.

It went back to #1 in some countries the last few weeks.... like in the UK, alot of others its close to the top.

God of War has had better legs than most games on playstation.



Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:

Doom falls into one of the categories i just listed, it released 1.5 years after the PS4/XBO/PC versions. The amount of care doesnt really matter when the fanbase already owns the game.

So you think the majority of Switch owners have already played Doom on PS4/XBO/PC?

Funny how being years-old ports don't matter if it's Mario Kart or Donkey Kong yet it somehow matters for third party games.

Because they are 100% different situations.

Wii U exclusives were limited to the poor install base of the system meaning they could potentially sell better on a more popular system.

A game that released on a combination of PS3/360/PS4/XBO/PC is not limited to install base and if it failed on those systems than it most likely wasnt a desirable game.

If you cant see the difference between releasing on a ~13.5 million selling platform and releasing on multiple platforms that easily add up to over 100 million than i dont know what to tell you.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

JRPGfan said:
Mar1217 said:

If we go with a 40% ratio add-on to the numbers we have right now, it should be approx. around 4.8M-5M at the beginning of May.

Numbers have also largely decreased each week,by half I would say.

Right now, a more conservative estimate would be around 6M, but 7M seems plausible if it were to do better numbers in the next weeks than it is doing right now.

It went back to #1 in some countries the last few weeks.... like in the UK, alot of others its close to the top.

God of War has had better legs than most games on playstation.

In the long run, without the numbers from Uk charts, it's just as good as looking at Amazon's ranking.

I think however, some people on ResetEra do post numbers from time to time, and it usually is on level with Japan slow weeks.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909