By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony refuses to fix out of warranty PS4 without paying a $99 service fee.

I remember back in the PS2 days when they would try to deny the DRE issues that were cropping up world wide. It took the fucking legal system to FORCE them to fix their own defective consoles.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
I remember back in the PS2 days when they would try to deny the DRE issues that were cropping up world wide. It took the fucking legal system to FORCE them to fix their own defective consoles.

I remember when my NES would flash the red power light on and off while I was trying to play a game.

Not sure how it relates to this thread but figured we were remembering old consoles breaking?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Your console is 3 years old and you are complaining about paying for it to be fixed? Gosh... Sorry I can't sympathize with you one bit, in fact I'm almost laughing at the situation. You can buy extended warranties from the store at purchase, if you don't, that's on you. The service fee is justified, Sony isn't a charity.

Sounds to me like this could still easily be your fault from the overheating. When they fixed it last time, they probably just swapped out the obviously malfunctioning part that kept it from playing. Maybe there was a deeper issue that was missed last time. I can't say for certain, but you can't exactly pin this on the console being defective.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/11/08/ps4s-playstation-protection-plan-pricing-revealed-extend-your-warranty-by-2-years-for-49-99-or-59-99/

Either way, this is what warranties are for. You should have bought an extended warranty for an extra 50 bucks.

This is another reason I like Nintendo more than Sony. Nintendo's consoles are generally more stable than Sony's. Sony is trying to put expensive and unreliable technology on the market so people get slightly better graphics quality. If you care about graphics, well there's one of your tradeoffs right there.

MasterThief said:

heres is the deal. if your PS4 is broken and its under warranty. they will fix it for free

if its not. they will charge you. if thats the case and they are asking for 99. thats more than fair. a used PS4 is like 180 or 200.

am pretty sure the other console makers will ask a similar price. 

This. The premise of the thread is wrong.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
I remember when ! ....

My original PS1 had this fault where it wouldn't read disc properly, the only way to make it work was to put the disc in and then turn it upside down (not a joke worked perfectly after). I played on that thing like that for ages before my family gave in and bought a new one. Good times.

Hmm, pie.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

If you put any console with a fan at the back of it in an area with no venting then it'll break.

Simple

The console will break if you do this, so that is why Bandorr is saying it sounds like you do not understand the difference between a manufacturing fault and doing something like putting the system into water, one of those is never the fault of the manufacturer unless the product is a pair of speedos

His question about controllers....

Does it connect to other DS4's? Have you tried borrowing a friends and connecting that, would the price of a new DS4 not be cheaper than sending it back if it's just your controller that is broken and not the system.

Regarding not wanting to buy a PS5 because your mate broke your PS4 for you.... Have no idea what to say to that. If someone drove your car into a wall would it put you off that brand of vehicle?

I get what you are saying here. Yes, absolutely the first time it broke was my roommate's fault. I don't fault Sony for that at all. 

Yeah, I tried connecting it to my new DS4 from my PS4 Pro. It didn't work. I re-initialized the system. That didn't work either. I rebuilt the database via safe mode. All these things were suggestions from the Playstation support team. But nothing worked. They walked me through every single part of trying to solve the issue. 

I get your point about driving it into a wall. For all I know, the overheating issue caused by my roommate, could have somehow effected this new issue. I shouldn't be crapping all over Sony, when none of it might even be their fault.

So maybe I should just pony up the cash and sell it like I planned once it is fixed? How much does an OG model PS4 with 1TB go for used these days? 

So, there was a paid employee, spending time to try and help you fix an out of warranty issue without cost for you, and you complain about their service because that they don't want to physically fix your console for free?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Ganoncrotch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It only recognizes it in safe mode. Otherwise it fails to recognize it at all. So it's either both USB ports being faulty, or a broken antenna like you said. But how much do those cost to replace? I found some on amazon for under $10. So Sony wants $99 for a fix that would cost maybe $20-$30 for parts and labor. Hopefully I can find a repair shop that will service it for less than what Sony wants. 

Just taking a look there...

https://youtu.be/cTD3jjo1crM?t=10m37s

That's not an easy fix at all... I would be surprised if it would cost you sub 100 to get it repaired even in a local store unless you happen to have any mates who know someone close by that can do it cheaper for you, it really isn't an easy fix (and that is if my hunch is right, I could be a million miles off here, could be something else entirely)

My vote would be a wired controller for the system if it is your backup....

wait....

it recognizes it in safe mode?

Wired or Wirelessly?

Wired. 

Damn. Even replacing a simple bluetooth antenna fix needs you to solder over 20 microscopic pins? I think I'll just try to hunt down a wired secondary controller, and then sell it for $150, with the defect intact. Thanks for all your help. :D

Edit: Also I can see how just one of those little pins melting from overheating would cause an issue. This whole thing is my old roomate's fault for sure. Now if only I could get money from his jobless butt. Oh well. That would be like getting water from  a stone. Dude hasn't had a real job for longer than three months in several years. Glad I no longer live with him. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Just taking a look there...

https://youtu.be/cTD3jjo1crM?t=10m37s

That's not an easy fix at all... I would be surprised if it would cost you sub 100 to get it repaired even in a local store unless you happen to have any mates who know someone close by that can do it cheaper for you, it really isn't an easy fix (and that is if my hunch is right, I could be a million miles off here, could be something else entirely)

My vote would be a wired controller for the system if it is your backup....

wait....

it recognizes it in safe mode?

Wired or Wirelessly?

Wired. 

Damn. Even replacing a simple bluetooth antenna fix needs you to solder over 20 microscopic pins? I think I'll just try to hunt down a wired secondary controller, and then sell it for $150, with the defect intact. Thanks for all your help. :D

Edit: Also I can see how just one of those little pins melting from overheating would cause an issue. This whole thing is my old roomate's fault for sure. Now if only I could get money from his jobless butt. Oh well. That would be like getting water from  a stone. Dude hasn't had a real job for longer than three months in several years. Glad I no longer live with him. 

Yeah look the wired pads from Amazon would turn it back into a functional console at the very least for watching stuff on , just gotta watch out for people running passed in front of you.

And yeah heat on solder points weakens them, you could try opening it up yourself and seeing if you could physically put something into the case to press the bluetooth chip down into the PCB but it could be tough, to open a Ps4 you need to slide open the side panel on the left side and use I think it's a Torx 8 to remove the screws to take off the right side. but it's not an easy job because on a base PS4 you need to also remove the heatsink from the board which could lead to other issues if there is any extra damage been done by the original overheating issue which your mate caused.

Good luck sorting it though.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Underserved entitlement, it's out of warranty, pay up. Electronics break down, some last forever, my PS4 is still going from 2013 and have had GPU's break down in under two years, guess I better give up PC gaming.