By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony refuses to fix out of warranty PS4 without paying a $99 service fee.

well yeah of course you have to pay. It's clearly out of warranty. Why should they fix it for free?

Also $99 doesn't really sound that unrealistic. Parts + workforce + other costs such as electricity/tools/rent etc.

Around the Network

My Wii U gamepass broke randomly me day. It would not turn on and it was a few months out of warranty. Sent it to Nintendo and they fixed it free of charge.

My Wii U gamepass broke randomly me day. It would not turn on and it was a few months out of warranty. Sent it to Nintendo and they fixed it free of charge.

Random_Matt said:
Underserved entitlement, it's out of warranty, pay up. Electronics break down, some last forever, my PS4 is still going from 2013 and have had GPU's break down in under two years, guess I better give up PC gaming.

I must be getting old. I remember you used to be able to buy something and have it last for five or six years no problem. But you, and others in this thread are right. It wasn't Sony's system being defective. It was the way someone mistreated it (unbeknownst to me at the time).

Double post

Last edited by jason1637 - on 14 June 2018

Around the Network

Well it's been almost 3 yrs meaning its about 2yrs passed the warranty so you cant expect it to be fixed for free, and $99 isn't that bad.

Better than my iphone. My iphone that I took great care of suddenly stopped charging because the connection inside suddenly burnt up making it unable to charge. This is clearly a defect and a manufacturing problem as I've done nothing wrong to cause that (I never overcharge my phone either). I went to Apple to see what they can do, and they told me I'd have to buy a new phone from them because it was literally just one month passed their 1 year warranty! Yea, I had the phone for just over a year and Apple couldn't do anything for me, so lame.

Anyways, hope you can get your PS4 fixed. Is it just one particular controller that wont connect or any controller? What if you bought a new controller?

V-r0cK said:
Well it's been almost 3 yrs meaning its about 2yrs passed the warranty so you cant expect it to be fixed for free, and $99 isn't that bad.

Better than my iphone. My iphone that I took great care of suddenly stopped charging because the connection inside suddenly burnt up making it unable to charge. This is clearly a defect and a manufacturing problem as I've done nothing wrong to cause that (I never overcharge my phone either). I went to Apple to see what they can do, and they told me I'd have to buy a new phone from them because it was literally just one month passed their 1 year warranty! Yea, I had the phone for just over a year and Apple couldn't do anything for me, so lame.

Anyways, hope you can get your PS4 fixed. Is it just one particular controller that wont connect or any controller? What if you bought a new controller?

ouch, maybe time to make the change to Android if they're doing that to you, or at least in the Apple store suggest you are considering the change over and see if it helps them to think of any alternates to telling you to go away with the broken charging port phone?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
V-r0cK said:

ouch, maybe time to make the change to Android if they're doing that to you, or at least in the Apple store suggest you are considering the change over and see if it helps them to think of any alternates to telling you to go away with the broken charging port phone?

I did switch to Android and I've never been more happier :)

That's unfortunate :(

The PS4 is actually my first Sony console not to break. My PS3 just oddly stopped reading discs immediately (they fixed it), and I don't know how many PS1's and PS2's my friends and I went through lol

Seems like the PS4 is more durable finally, with my only issue being I bought the console early and so got those PS4 controllers with the shitty audio jacks. It's definitely a little odd that most consoles are only willing to cover a year or two when they're intended to work at least half a decade.

ha the 99 service isn't no guarantee they will fix it either speaking from experience