By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony refuses to fix out of warranty PS4 without paying a $99 service fee.

A 1 yeah warranty is the same as it is on the Xbox One and the Switch. Complaining about having to pay to get an out of warranty console fixed is silly.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

My PS4 still works from launch. Got the YLOD on the original fat PS3 twice though out of warranty. Paid the money both times. The PS3 still works and we use it occasionally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

well i always buy the extra protection plan, i havent needed it yet this generation thankfully. but you can protect it through psn in the store buying the extended warranty, so the option is there. i cant blame sony on this.

Bring it to a repair shop, or use USB wireless controllers.

Also, how old is the PS4?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Cerebralbore101 said:

Just trying to be honest. First time wasn't their fault. But a console simply shouldn't break in under three years. That is silly. Maybe I'm one of the unlucky few. Maybe most PS4's keep working well into their teens like the PS2 did. But having this experience makes me want to not even bother with a PS5. 

Many consoles can break in under three years, specialy depending on how much you play and how you care for it, even a PC can easily break in under three years, Id say a PC is even more probe to break. Also the PS4 is out of its warranty they are gona charge to repair it, its how it goes. 

Around the Network

I once got an Ylod on my PS3, but I think the PS4, and the pro are rather durable. But mine got plenty of breathing space.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I hope you change your title because it's click bait title, you should add " if my warranty are expired " or " If i am breaking my warranty ".

Nintendo has service fees too, so that whole ultimatum you gave makes no sense. Every company charges service fees, but most people don't take care of their shit.

Ganoncrotch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Wired. 

Damn. Even replacing a simple bluetooth antenna fix needs you to solder over 20 microscopic pins? I think I'll just try to hunt down a wired secondary controller, and then sell it for $150, with the defect intact. Thanks for all your help. :D

Edit: Also I can see how just one of those little pins melting from overheating would cause an issue. This whole thing is my old roomate's fault for sure. Now if only I could get money from his jobless butt. Oh well. That would be like getting water from  a stone. Dude hasn't had a real job for longer than three months in several years. Glad I no longer live with him. 

Yeah look the wired pads from Amazon would turn it back into a functional console at the very least for watching stuff on , just gotta watch out for people running passed in front of you.

And yeah heat on solder points weakens them, you could try opening it up yourself and seeing if you could physically put something into the case to press the bluetooth chip down into the PCB but it could be tough, to open a Ps4 you need to slide open the side panel on the left side and use I think it's a Torx 8 to remove the screws to take off the right side. but it's not an easy job because on a base PS4 you need to also remove the heatsink from the board which could lead to other issues if there is any extra damage been done by the original overheating issue which your mate caused.

Good luck sorting it though.

I can't remember which size it is but they are security torx.  Without removing the heatsink about all I think you can get to is the power supply, the hard drive and the disc drive.  I was lucky enough to get to take mine apart when I bought the GF a physical copy of GOW only to find out her 2 year old had fed the drive a little plastic star that prevented discs from being read.

It saddens me to see how many people here are so eager to let companies get away with not fixing stuff not broken by user-fault 'fairly shortly' after getting the product. I'd personally expect a console should last at least 3-4 years and probably more, and I think if the product happens to break during its expected lifetime, the manufacturer should absolutely be required to fix or replace it for free, warranty or not. That's actually the legislation we have here in Finland, although 'expected lifetime' can be shorter than you'd think. And just for the record, I'm talking about the general attitude here without any relation to this case.