By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Where do we go from here?

VGPolyglot said:
Machina said:
A nice sentiment VGP, but I don't think it'd change anything. Plenty of us have already let him know how we feel but he seems decided on not returning. In hindsight we should've created a curator/buffer between the community and Talon, but I didn't realise he was feeling disenchanted with the community until it was too late :(

Ah, I see. To be honest, I was almost sure that this was going to happen sooner or later, this was something that was going on ever since he came back to be honest, it was really more of a matter of when rather than if, there were many instances of him having issues with the way users provided feedback (vivster, NATO, bananaking21, Rol, me, Ganoncrotch, etc.). As for this site/community, I'm wondering why we even bother staying, why remain on a site where the owner does jackshit when there are other forums that have ones who actually do a ton? With Talon gone and updates being much slower again I'm mainly staying for nostalgic/sentimental reasons and also because I've put my entire game collection on here so it'd be a huge pain having to re-add it elsewhere.

However, while things may be bleak, maybe all hope isn't lost, it may be possible that he'd be willing to have a curator/filter or such in order to prevent something like this, in fact I believe that Versus, Ryuu and I were originally brought on-board to do that essentially (as back then he was getting overwhelmed with all of the conflicting feedback and requests and wanted something more cohesive/organized). I don't know if he'd be willing to talk to me, and to be honest I am not really in a position to become the curator myself, but maybe he would be convinced by the idea.

I cant speak for others, but the reason i stay here and participate in this forum is:

1)The numbers.Accurate or not, me likes it.

2)But most of all, the discussion.It dosent matter(that much) if the site dosent get game changing updates every year.As long as it functions, and as long as there are awesome users who i can discuss things with, I am more than satisfied.After all, thats the main function of a forum:The excitment of sharing the ideas and discussion with like minded people.people that share your hobby.

This is not meant as a critique, and Im sorry if it sounds a bit harsh, but if you come to a forum because you want new tools, to see it have a new logo every year, or to make friendships with 90% of the users and have that friendship last until the end of times, then you came to the wrong place.



My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
TalonMan said: 

So - rather than continue to waste my time putting up with this garbage, I just feel like maybe it's time for a change in scenery (so to speak). It sucks that I've allowed a few shitty, smelly apples ruin it for the bunch, but that's just what happens sometimes. We're all human after all, and sometimes we need to make decisions that are in the best interest of ourselves - even if that means hurting everybody else in the process...  :(

Have you considered doing this on a smaller scale? It sounds like burnout was also a problem for you, maybe if you did this on a more limited basis it would avoid the same traps that happened last time? I understand if you don't want to do that, but I guess it's a suggestion. 



Yup, it seems a select few users managed to drive Talon away, not gonna' get into the who what why when or where of it all, but that's how it is. Maybe one day he'll come back, riding towards us on his gallant steed, shooting lines of code out of his fingertips to solve our forum problems... but until then all we can do is carry on doing what we're doing with the site and forums in their current state.

To quote Dr. Ian Malcolm; Life, uh, finds a way.



Nautilus said:
VGPolyglot said:

Ah, I see. To be honest, I was almost sure that this was going to happen sooner or later, this was something that was going on ever since he came back to be honest, it was really more of a matter of when rather than if, there were many instances of him having issues with the way users provided feedback (vivster, NATO, bananaking21, Rol, me, Ganoncrotch, etc.). As for this site/community, I'm wondering why we even bother staying, why remain on a site where the owner does jackshit when there are other forums that have ones who actually do a ton? With Talon gone and updates being much slower again I'm mainly staying for nostalgic/sentimental reasons and also because I've put my entire game collection on here so it'd be a huge pain having to re-add it elsewhere.

However, while things may be bleak, maybe all hope isn't lost, it may be possible that he'd be willing to have a curator/filter or such in order to prevent something like this, in fact I believe that Versus, Ryuu and I were originally brought on-board to do that essentially (as back then he was getting overwhelmed with all of the conflicting feedback and requests and wanted something more cohesive/organized). I don't know if he'd be willing to talk to me, and to be honest I am not really in a position to become the curator myself, but maybe he would be convinced by the idea.

I cant speak for others, but the reason i stay here and participate in this forum is:

1)The numbers.Accurate or not, me likes it.

2)But most of all, the discussion.It dosent matter(that much) if the site dosent get game changing updates every year.As long as it functions, and as long as there are awesome users who i can discuss things with, I am more than satisfied.After all, thats the main function of a forum:The excitment of sharing the ideas and discussion with like minded people.people that share your hobby.

This is not meant as a critique, and Im sorry if it sounds a bit harsh, but if you come to a forum because you want new tools, to see it have a new logo every year, or to make friendships with 90% of the users and have that friendship last until the end of times, then you came to the wrong place.

A leads to B, though. If the site continues to get changes and updates, it will drive people to come here and as a result there will be better discussion. Yes, I also came to the realization that most people here are not really looking for close friendships, that has been a very painful and hurtful process for me.



... I type my comment out and Talon posts in here. Am I Jesus?!



Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

... I type my comment out and Talon posts in here. Am I Jesus?!

YES!



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

VGPolyglot said:
TalonMan said: 

So - rather than continue to waste my time putting up with this garbage, I just feel like maybe it's time for a change in scenery (so to speak). It sucks that I've allowed a few shitty, smelly apples ruin it for the bunch, but that's just what happens sometimes. We're all human after all, and sometimes we need to make decisions that are in the best interest of ourselves - even if that means hurting everybody else in the process...  :(

Have you considered doing this on a smaller scale? It sounds like burnout was also a problem for you, maybe if you did this on a more limited basis it would avoid the same traps that happened last time? I understand if you don't want to do that, but I guess it's a suggestion. 

I honestly don't do "small scale" - I'm either in, or I'm out. That's always been the way I operate (for better, or worse)...   

...besides - would you really want "limited" type work? I know you think something is better than nothing, but that doesn't apply to this particular website and I don't think very much would get accomplished with my working at a smaller scale. Besides (and Trucks can attest to this), this site requires serious effort just to implement even the smallest of things. There are probably a dozen different coding styles deployed across the website, and it requires some significant change in gears just trying to understand how certain things work and inter-connect before you can even add a single line of code!!

It's a mess, frankly and you absolutely need to be committed if you're going to be able sustain functioning updates.



COKTOE said:
Bristow9091 said:

... I type my comment out and Talon posts in here. Am I Jesus?!

YES!

Y'know, I always thought so, ever since that one time I walked on water... just thought it was a fluke.



TalonMan said:
VGPolyglot said:

Have you considered doing this on a smaller scale? It sounds like burnout was also a problem for you, maybe if you did this on a more limited basis it would avoid the same traps that happened last time? I understand if you don't want to do that, but I guess it's a suggestion. 

I honestly don't do "small scale" - I'm either in, or I'm out. That's always been the way I operate (for better, or worse)...   

...besides - would you really want "limited" type work? I know you think something is better than nothing, but that doesn't apply to this particular website and I don't think very much would get accomplished with my working at a smaller scale. Besides (and Trucks can attest to this), this site requires serious effort just to implement even the smallest of things. There are probably a dozen different coding styles deployed across the website, and it requires some significant change in gears just trying to understand how certain things work and inter-connect before you can even add a single line of code!!

It's a mess, frankly and you absolutely need to be committed if you're going to be able sustain functioning updates.

I see. Well, I wish you the best, I don't know if you'll ever change your mind but I want you to know that there are no hard feelings either way.



Things sure have changed since I left the site forever. I had some idea of what was going on, but obviously missed a lot. Whatever you decide to do Talon, you're the man, You have done much for this site, and will be missed. Farewell for now.



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."