By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Where do we go from here?

VAMatt said:
CGI-Quality said:

ioi - owner
TalonMan - Site Admin (has many keys to apply fixes)
TruckoSaurus - Site Admin (has many keys to apply fixes)
Machina - Site Admin (has many keys to apply  fixes)

That's who keeps the site functioning. Then we have other staff (myself and The Mod Team), the Writer Team, and the GameDB Team. All of those offer some type of additional function to keep things going.

Thanks for the info, and for the work you do here, CGI.  

You're welcome.

Around the Network

Well thanks for explaining Talon.

The issue is a common one sadly. A lot of people aren't technical enough so they throw out abuse. This is no different than on my own site.

They say things like this is fucked it isn't working.

I say that is an open ended statement

What isn't working, what system are you using, send me a print screen, describe the error.

In the end I have learned to accept that 90% of the world are dumbasses who need to be talked to like children to get something half decent out of them to rectify the problem.

Saying all that people on a gaming site should be a bit more intelligent that the common person using an iphone. Those people need to work on their delivery lol.

Just came across this thread. To address a few points:

1. I am the creator and owner of the site. I still have overall control and check in from time to time but I also have a number of other projects that I manage so have essentially handed over day to day control to Craig (Machina) who is in charge of VGChartz now. Without him the site simply wouldn't be where it is today.
  2. TalonMan is an old friend who helped me back in 2008/2009 to massively grow and develop VGChartz from the basic site that I had created back then to have the amount of functionality we have now. We then removed a number of features when the site was further redeveloped and Talon kindly offered (due to his love of the community) to put his time and effort into adding some of those old features back in, along with a bunch of new ones at the same time as giving the site a general overhaul. Due to the fact that we have had 5-6 different people over the last 13 years work on various bits of code for different parts of the site it has become very complicated and disjointed and the fact that my original code was never built with this amount of functionality in mind (or things like mobile versions of the site) means that a lot of it has to be re-written which is extremely time consuming.
  3. Trucks is another programmer who has worked hard over the last couple of years to implement numerous fixes and improvements and took the lead on developing the mobile version of the site. Again, most of the work he does is voluntary and for his love of the site and the community.
When I set VGChartz up one of the key principles that the forums were built on was that of constructive, respectful discourse. I haven't been reading every post on every thread but the fact that there are a few members on here who seem to be making a nuisance of themselves is not something I am happy with.

Machina, Talon and Trucks all deserve the full respect of anybody who uses this site - the fact that it exists is down to the hard work that they all put in and the last thing any of them deserve is to be driven away by the bad attitude of certain members.
Last edited by ioi - on 14 June 2018

I don't think anyone is denying the work various people put into the site, but in the same breath I also don't think that certain things should go without being addressed when it comes to helping a place to grow or be maintained, as stated in a post which I'm not going to say started off this whole thing but started off ^ this appearing here.

While there is as much respect as possible shown to all members on here if it at a point becomes a case of a one way street where a lack of respect one way would come with threat of moderation but on the other hand referring to portions of the community as "morons or lower class of people" just can't be terms that someone throws out without a thought that it's actually a personal insult referring to people as a "lower class" because they raise issues with site functionality. (again the old "it wasn't directed at someone" can be said here but it's clear the reason for this upset, or at least this escalation in it.) But yeah been here many years for literally thousands of posts over the last 6 years https://i.imgur.com/6KPjtJo.png since this kicked off I've gotten a number of pms which I'm quite grateful for but yeah I'm not sure my attitude in general has ever been referred to as bad or volatile towards others as I think that isn't the sort of attitude in general which creates an open and productive site/forum/community and I personally wouldn't take it online to others if I felt that way.

As someone who isn't an old friend of the site owner unlike the person I upset, all I can say is welcome back to VGC ioi hope all is well with you and yours.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Huge thanks to you, Talon, for everything you've done for the site, and obviously thanks to everyone else who keeps the site running. A big reason why I returned to VGChartz on a more regular basis was the re-implementation of many of these features, and I'm very grateful for the time you've put in.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
I don't think anyone is denying the work various people put into the site, but in the same breath I also don't think that certain things should go without being addressed when it comes to helping a place to grow or be maintained, as stated in a post which I'm not going to say started off this whole thing but started off ^ this appearing here.

While there is as much respect as possible shown to all members on here if it at a point becomes a case of a one way street where a lack of respect one way would come with threat of moderation but on the other hand referring to portions of the community as "morons or lower class of people" just can't be terms that someone throws out without a thought that it's actually a personal insult referring to people as a "lower class" because they raise issues with site functionality. (again the old "it wasn't directed at someone" can be said here but it's clear the reason for this upset, or at least this escalation in it.) But yeah been here many years for literally thousands of posts over the last 6 years https://i.imgur.com/6KPjtJo.png since this kicked off I've gotten a number of pms which I'm quite grateful for but yeah I'm not sure my attitude in general has ever been referred to as bad or volatile towards others as I think that isn't the sort of attitude in general which creates an open and productive site/forum/community and I personally wouldn't take it online to others if I felt that way.

As someone who isn't an old friend of the site owner unlike the person I upset, all I can say is welcome back to VGC ioi hope all is well with you and yours.

I don't want to have the same conversation across multiple threads but as I pointed out the other one there is a massive difference between providing constructive criticism and being rude / obnoxious.

VGChartz has always been different to other sites in that we make an effort to engage with the community. Most big gaming sites wouldn't have the directors, developers etc speaking directly on the forums and asking for feedback or suggestions. VGChartz is free to use (although the supporter program helps to ensure that staff get something back in reward for the work they put in) and is run mainly by volunteers - most of the functionality that you have is here because of their effort, passion and hard work - it isn't an entitlement but something to be thankful and appreciative of. All staff deserve your respect - you're entitled to hold a different opinion on a particular subject - but I will not tolerate anybody who picks on or is rude towards a member of the team.

Didn't realise Talon had left. I didn't always agree with the things he changed, but it's definitely sad to see him go considering how much he's improved the site. It's understandable too.

As for where we go from here... well I've been here for 4 years now and Talon only came back last year-ish? So we'll just continue as we did in those years before his return, those were pretty decent years, despite a few hiccups from the website every now and then, so nothing to worry too much about.

ioi said:

Just came across this thread. To address a few points:

1. I am the creator and owner of the site. I still have overall control and check in from time to time but I also have a number of other projects that I manage so have essentially handed over day to day control to Craig (Machina) who is in charge of VGChartz now. Without him the site simply wouldn't be where it is today.
  2. TalonMan is an old friend who helped me back in 2008/2009 to massively grow and develop VGChartz from the basic site that I had created back then to have the amount of functionality we have now. We then removed a number of features when the site was further redeveloped and Talon kindly offered (due to his love of the community) to put his time and effort into adding some of those old features back in, along with a bunch of new ones at the same time as giving the site a general overhaul. Due to the fact that we have had 5-6 different people over the last 13 years work on various bits of code for different parts of the site it has become very complicated and disjointed and the fact that my original code was never built with this amount of functionality in mind (or things like mobile versions of the site) means that a lot of it has to be re-written which is extremely time consuming.
  3. Trucks is another programmer who has worked hard over the last couple of years to implement numerous fixes and improvements and took the lead on developing the mobile version of the site. Again, most of the work he does is voluntary and for his love of the site and the community.
When I set VGChartz up one of the key principles that the forums were built on was that of constructive, respectful discourse. I haven't been reading every post on every thread but the fact that there are a few members on here who seem to be making a nuisance of themselves is not something I am happy with.

Machina, Talon and Trucks all deserve the full respect of anybody who uses this site - the fact that it exists is down to the hard work that they all put in and the last thing any of them deserve is to be driven away by the bad attitude of certain members.

Woah, I was not expecting to see you here!! If I am to be completely honest, I thought we'd never see from you again, and it really made me question/worry about the site's future with you not being here and thus it's nice to see you here right now. Is this a one-off appearance, or will we be seeing from you again in the future? In any case, I hope that you can either convince Talon to come back, or that you can find more coders who are able to help maintain and improve the site. 

I always like an analogy.

You've owned a corner shop for the last 15 years. It used to do really well but with the advent of Amazon etc it is down a lot from its peak 10 years ago. You've had to move with the times and set up some online stores as well but your little shop still has a soft spot in your heart. You have a really good manager who runs it and a strong local community who shop there - it still makes enough profit to justify keeping it open but not really enough to spend a ton of money on a refurb which it desperately needs.

An old friend contacts you who helped you set up the shop to begin with, he is passionate about it and wants to help to build it back up again. He kindly offers to come in and do some work as a favour because he doesn't want to see the shop get left behind and customers go elsewhere and knows how strong the community is. He starts work refurbishing the shop but at every step of the way people complain because the shop is closed for a couple of hours, some of the products aren't available whilst cabinets are being replaced and some things have changed because it makes more sense overall and improves another aspect of the shop. Most people are polite and understanding but some are rude and obnoxious, huff and puff, and moan to the friend because something that is important to them has changed or been temporarily removed. The friend eventually has enough and leaves halfway through.

How do you feel now as the shop owner?

ioi said:
I always like an analogy.

You've owned a corner shop for the last 15 years. It used to do really well but with the advent of Amazon etc it is down a lot from its peak 10 years ago. You've had to move with the times and set up some online stores as well but your little shop still has a soft spot in your heart. You have a really good manager who runs it and a strong local community who shop there - it still makes enough profit to justify keeping it open but not really enough to spend a ton of money on a refurb which it desperately needs.

An old friend contacts you who helped you set up the shop to begin with, he is passionate about it and wants to help to build it back up again. He kindly offers to come in and do some work as a favour because he doesn't want to see the shop get left behind and customers go elsewhere and knows how strong the community is. He starts work refurbishing the shop but at every step of the way people complain because the shop is closed for a couple of hours, some of the products aren't available whilst cabinets are being replaced and some things have changed because it makes more sense overall and improves another aspect of the shop. Most people are polite and understanding but some are rude and obnoxious, huff and puff, and moan to the friend because something that is important to them has changed or been temporarily removed. The friend eventually has enough and leaves halfway through.

How do you feel now as the shop owner?

Well, I'm not sure. I guess the only way to know is to ask you directly, how do you feel? What are the short-term and long-term plans for the site and its staff?