By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft CEO Says Next Console Generation Will Be The Last

How do you feel about cloud-based gaming?

I love it 7 22.58%

I hate it 24 77.42%

Total:31

They are probably right as much as people don't want to admit it. PS5/XB2/Switch 2 will be in a lot of ways the last real traditional game generation.

And even during that gen we are going to start to see better streaming services and a shift towards more and more digital purchases.

By the time PS6/XB3/Switch 3 would be ready IMO 5G high speed wireless will be available everywhere in the world and game streaming will start to really take off.

Around the Network

They would like that, because a cloud console would mean people finally don't own their own games anymore.

As much as I don't like it we can not stop progression. Although I will probably leave console gaming if it becomes streaming based instead of hardware based. Its like replacing (SA) CD's/Vinyl for streamed mp3 sure the latter has a few merits. But I prefer (SA)CD and vinyl over streaming. The same way I prefer Ultra HD Blu Ray over Netflix. Hopefully pc gaming will remain hardware based or I might leave gaming for what it is all together.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

brandon1546 said:
A lot of people assume that subscription plans = bad for consumers. It is entirely true that could be the case. At the same time, it could go the other way. There are a lot of costs that a subscription plan eliminates:

The cost of producing the physical media
The cost of the retailer (Walmart, Best Buy, etc) getting their cut
The cost of used game retailers making money buying/selling used games
The cost of lost sales due to piracy

So potentially the video game developers can make a lot more money, while also passing along some of the above savings to the consumer. It is then the retailers who really lose. I am not saying this is how it will go, but this is how it could go. Again, it absolutely could go the other way and be a negative, but it might not. Most people view Netflix as a good deal and as being pro-consumer.

1) Your dreaming... they will just pocket what they save. You ll end up paying as much.

2) And it ll hurt "walmart, best buy, ect".... why do you care if they make a bit of profit from selling games? more going to the developer isnt nessarily a better alternative.

3) "cost of used game retailers makeing money buying/selling used games" = this isnt a good thing for the consumer (which I assume we all are on this forum)

4) Piracy is waaaay blown out of proportion, they make up numbers and lie, to hide failours, rather than admit they made a lousy game.

also you forgot the costs of running a streaming service:

Upkeep/maintaince of haveing millions of servers that need to be constantly looked after, cleaned, cooled (this is expensive) and the electisitcy bill (this is expensive) and last but not least, the cost of streaming that much data (this is HUUUUUUUUUGE).

^when a console maker ships you a physical peice of hardware that runs games, they pass all these things onto the consumer (its a small thing when its 1 user, paying for it).
And they skip the streaming data amount (because its rendered on the hardware instead).

People think that game streaming is "free" and they make more cuts.
LMAO, its expensive to run such a service, and there is no free lunch.... you as the consumer will pay for it (and get a worse experiance, hello input lag).

JRPGfan said:

There will always be people that dislike the fact that as you push a button, it takes 1-2sec before a action happends on the screen.

This isnt limited by download or upload speed, so just getting faster speeds wont improve it.

Nowhere near that number.

Check this article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-playstation-nows-ps4-game-performance-analysed

Around the Network

MS announced they are working on Scarlet... so last MS console confirmed by UBI?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Signalstar said:
PS Now and RE 7 Cloud Version prove that machine power and specs don't matter if you have a capable enough internet connection. All you need is a screen, a controller, and internet. Why require an expensive console?

And if you've ever tried to use PSnow, you would laugh at the concept of that being the norm.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Because OnLive worked so well?

Nah cloud based is a pipedream, if nothing else there is no magic to make inputlag go away.

My problem with streaming is that it would require servers to stay up and running for every single game that I want to be able to play, and I know for certain eventually they will shut down support for the games that I love. If I can't own a copy in some way that is stored within my house under my control, I'm not down with it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Azuren said:
Signalstar said:
PS Now and RE 7 Cloud Version prove that machine power and specs don't matter if you have a capable enough internet connection. All you need is a screen, a controller, and internet. Why require an expensive console?

And if you've ever tried to use PSnow, you would laugh at the concept of that being the norm.

I did use PS Now to play Asura's Wrath on my PS4. I have no idea why I had such a desire to play that game after all these years for the first time but I did. There were times went the picture was muddy but for the most part the game worked fine. I hardly could tell the difference between streaming a game and playing it natively. Once people get used to it and it becomes the norm the majority of players won't mind the trade off in visual fidelity, slight input lag, to convenience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.