By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft CEO Says Next Console Generation Will Be The Last

How do you feel about cloud-based gaming?

I love it 7 22.58%

I hate it 24 77.42%

Total:31

They always say this. No, next will be VR takeover and maybe one or two other types of quirky new gameplay options. VR tech will keep advancing and becoming more accessible for at least the next two or three generations.

Around the Network

PS Now and RE 7 Cloud Version prove that machine power and specs don't matter if you have a capable enough internet connection. All you need is a screen, a controller, and internet. Why require an expensive console?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Can they please just stop this nonsense. Every damn generation is the last one to these people.

I guess if they keep saying that (it's been said, how many times now?) they're bound to be right sooner or later.

Signalstar said:
PS Now and RE 7 Cloud Version prove that machine power and specs don't matter if you have a capable enough internet connection. All you need is a screen, a controller, and internet. Why require an expensive console?

I have a crazy fast internet connection and PS Now still lags. It's playable, but so much worse than owning the game either physically or digitally.

Around the Network

As long as I have a need to upgrade my PC, there will likely still be a need to upgrade my consoles.
Streaming video games doesn't do it for me due to the added latency and all that.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Assuming the next console generation is 2020, the "next" console generation would be due around 2027. By then, with the roll out of ultra low latency 5G, Ubisoft may well be right. I'm sure that the game developers "want" them to be right.

CaptainExplosion said:
brandon1546 said:
Assuming the next console generation is 2020, the "next" console generation would be due around 2027. By then, with the roll out of ultra low latency 5G, Ubisoft may well be right. I'm sure that the game developers "want" them to be right.

But they'll likely be wrong. Technology at that caliber can't possibly be affordable even by then (inflation's a bitch).

Not to mention it is still high latency anyway.

CaptainExplosion said:
Pemalite said:

Not to mention it is still high latency anyway.

Besides, there will still be new technologies on the way that we could implement into gaming consoles. The future isn't written in stone.

Oh for sure, there is a big focus on Ray Tracing at the moment... And A.I.
Next gen will likely see the biggest leap on the CPU side.

I do think next gen will be a little longer than this console generation though, mostly because we will probably be stuck at 10nm/7nm for a fairly long time.

zygote said:

They always say this. No, next will be VR takeover and maybe one or two other types of quirky new gameplay options. VR tech will keep advancing and becoming more accessible for at least the next two or three generations.

Oh boy... some people just can't get the message. Let me put it like this: The PS Vita and the Wii U are more popular than PS VR. VR as a contraption in your head will NEVER work. VR may have potencial with hologram projectors, but spare me the screen on my face. We are very far from any VR takeover until those projectors can be made affordable.