By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft CEO Says Next Console Generation Will Be The Last

How do you feel about cloud-based gaming?

I love it 7 22.58%

I hate it 24 77.42%

Total:31

I've lived along enough to realize that technology always advances. With that in mind, I wouldn't mind if next generation was Ubisoft's last.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

Cloud gaming will be the future no doubt but physical hardware will still be here but will be slowly less attractive and more expensive. Cloud will be super cheaper and gain mass attraction far more then consoles and today's PC. But again it will not replace real hardware it's just it will compliment each other like how Smartphones and dedicated gaming compliment each other.

He's talking out of his ass. Some of the publishers want traditional home consoles to die off so they can move completely to digital only gaming.

CaptainExplosion said:
Signalstar said:
PS Now and RE 7 Cloud Version prove that machine power and specs don't matter if you have a capable enough internet connection. All you need is a screen, a controller, and internet. Why require an expensive console?

Because in most places we're not able to stay connected to the internet, not even to play a poorly thought out version of Resident Evil 7.

Well no doubt it will be fix for the future . Heck in "near" future most of the US region will be connected with new fiber optic and all regular cable will super cheap and no more people that is not connected. I bet what Ubisoft CEO trying to say is "in the future ". 

Resident Evil 7 streamed to Switch is happening now, so it begins

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
HollyGamer said:
Cloud gaming will be the future no doubt but physical hardware will still be here but will be slowly less attractive and more expensive. Cloud will be super cheaper and gain mass attraction far more then consoles and today's PC. But again it will not replace real hardware it's just it will compliment each other like how Smartphones and dedicated gaming compliment each other.

You forgot to mention the problem of not everyone having internet connections, which is what we'd need practically everywhere for cloud gaming to work.

That's why the keywords that he forgot to mention is "In the Future " 

What he meant to say is...

"We at Ubisoft HOPE this is the last hardware generation."

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

No... local processing power will always be better... no matter what the internet infrastructure is... just a example, all the vanilla ps4, all of them together have over 130 exaflops of processing power... 130 000 petaflops... the biggest supercomputer today has 125 petaflops and uses over 15 000 kw of electricity... we would need over 1000 of these just so everyone could play a ps4 game at the same time... since ps4 has 1.8 teraflops and xbox one x has 6 and next gen will have over 10 teraflops... the math doesn't add up... yes, not everyone plays at the same time and this back of a napkin math... but it's just to show... it's much easier to say than done...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Of course. They want Cloud gaming to become the only way to game, as do all the other publishers.

At least with digital games, you had them on your HDD/SSD, and physical you had in your hand, but with Cloud gaming, no one owns anything and it'll be always online based. That's the ultimate nightmare, and it's the paradise the big companies are wanting, cause it gives them 100% uncontested control of everything.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

shikamaru317 said:
Eh, I don't think the internet infrastructure will be ready for streaming only within the next 10 years. There are currently 20m+ Americans in rural areas who have no access to high-speed internet other than satellite internet, and probably another 20m with satellite internet (which doesn't work with streaming because of the high latency), which makes 40m Americans who aren't equipped for game streaming. And the situation is worse in many other countries.

That's why he hinted that  " after the next gen consoles  " (which also doubtful). PS5 and Xbox 2 might take longer the PS4 and Xbox One gen (more then 10 years )  like how PS4 and Xbox One longer then PS3 and Xbox 360. 

Overall he just stating the obvious and it's not a rocket science , but his time prediction is to early. My prediction it will take another 3 consoles generation to make cloud gaming relevant.