By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: Red Dead Redemption 2 Will Have Some Sort Of Timed PlayStation Exclusivity

Not a big fan of these deals, hated it when MS did it and though I game on PS, I still don't like it.

Also seems like a waste of money when Sony leading so much, but I guess it just pushes that agenda of being at the forefront of the gen, and I'm sure it'll help sell a few more consoles... so perhaps its not.

Anyway I am expecting MS to counter with some 3rd party games or purchases as they dont have the studios right now.... I think this E3 could be the most interesting and for all the wrong reasons.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

1. Yes they did, maybe you just weren’t looking for them, or are looking at these articles in a different light.

2. There will obviously be more articles now because we’ve had a longer time to get tired of these stupid deals, and also these deals have sunk to an even lower level with what Sony and Activision did for Destiny.

On topic, they’re already locking single player content behind a $20 “Special Edition”. This added on makes it enough for me to say fuck it and wait for a used copy to show up somewhere, can’t support this 1-2 combo of shit.

1. Links, please.  Something from Kotaku specifically would also be nice.

2.  If they wanted them to stop, they should have nipped in the bud from the start.  Not remain silent or barely speak, and then talk about it, now, when it has already been established as a marketing tactic. And sunk even lower?  MS always had timed exclusivity on DLC for certain games.  How is Sony doing the same thing them sinking even lower?

Timed exclusive DLC sucks.

Timed exclusive day one content that should have been in your $60 purchase is worse. Timed exclusive content inside of premium DLC is also an extra shitty step. 

Laaaaaame. At least they're going with the biggest audience, it could be worse. But lame.

twintail said:

Welcome to 2017 Kotaku. Old news.

2016 even https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/10/20/red-dead-redemption-2-playstation-and-rockstar-games-announce-partnership/

I think it'd be interesting to have valid stats on what % of Xbone owners also own PS4. (higher than the reverse, clearly)
In that light, exclusives or semi-exclusives like this aren't really excluding those players from the game, just influencing which platform they choose to play on.
Online multiplayer is probably most impactful for this, and most likely to sway future choices even for games without exclusive status.
(if they shift to using one platform for multiplayer, they will tend to so for all games, and will tend to drop online subscription for platform they rarely need/use online)

Around the Network

Oh no, Xbox One owners will have to wait a little longer for DLC that only a quarter of them will even pay for to begin with! The horror!

John2290 said:
Manlytears said:

Year 1-2, i would call it a strong move, fit for the moment you want become the number 1 console, but, due to current playstation advantage,  it fells unecessary. For real, ps4 is making more than 2:1 on xbox life time sales and it's selling almost 3:1 along the year, this is "overkill bully" toward xbox if true, but... you can bet your money Xbox would do the same is they get the chance.

Xbox started this last gen and it has come back to bite them royally. I pity the xbox gamers.

Sony did it with PS2 before Microsoft ever did. And before Sony, Sega and Nintendo did the same thing. Before THEM, Atari was doing it. It's nothing new.

I would rather play on PS, because I have a Pro. But, if this timed exclusivity is anything more than cosmetics, I'll wait until the exclusive period is over and buy the game used, for Xbone.

I'm willing to bet PS also agree's that they wish these exclusivity deals would stop. It's just not easy to get everyone to buy a PS4 that's all.

Trying to hate Rockstar is like trying to hate oxygen.

thismeintiel said:
Interesting how these types of articles were not popping up left and right last gen, when MS was starting this trend. Now, all of a sudden that Sony has started doing it, it's horrible and can't be tolerated. Oh, but we'll throw in a quick line about MS, just so we can say we mentioned it.

It doesn't really matter who started it, it's a stupid practice that needs to be put down immediately.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian