By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 21): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - May 21-27, 2018

Oh cool. We got some Famitsu digital numbers for April as well.

Dead by Daylight: 76,577
Far Cry5: 33,338
PawaPro 2018 (PS4): 32,339
Mad Max: 28, 432
Super Robot X (PS4): 21,963
God of War: 16,636
Cities Skyline: 14,032
MHW: 11,428
Kirby Star Allies: 9,913
Meta Max XENO (PS4): 8,982

Taken from http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/10691

That digital ratio for Cities Skylines is pretty crazy. It sold 20k retail in April per Famitsu so that's more than 40% copies sold digitally.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 30 May 2018

Around the Network

Ps4 software sales are excellent this week. Gg detroit

rodea_sky_soldier said:
YAY!!!!

Next Week:
Switch Hardware --> 1 million+ YTD
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild --> 1 million+ at retail

Can't wait to celebrate next week!  Congrats BotW!

For this week, good Switch sales and it may get a big bump in the coming weeks when more games releases.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

TruckOSaurus said:
zorg1000 said:

Context is key.

As of week 7

PS4-558k

NSW-405k

As of week 21

PS4-880k

NSW-987k

Monster Hunter gave PS4 a really nice start to the year, peaking with a 153k lead over NSW but once its effects wore off it has sold barely half as much as NSW.

This trend is not going to change and actually get worse in PS4 favor as Switch has big guns releasing later this year along with Nintendo platforms traditionally getting much larger holiday boosts.

I think there's miscommunication here (or maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand). You're talking about the Switch topping the PS4 for 2018 (as in units sold in 2018), CosmicSex is talking about the Switch topping the PS4's LTD sales in 2018. I don't think anybody expects the PS4 to have better yearly sales than the Switch in Japan.

I was referring to, "It is still shockingly close to Switch YTD"

Im saying those numbers look close at a glance but when you look at how sales have been trending for the last few months and how the rest of the year is likely to play out, they really dont mean anything.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dreadful numbers all over the charts. Now that the 3DS is out of the picture, between the PS4 lack of appeal in Japan and the lack of new games to push the Switch, this has the excitement of a snail race. At least next week BotW Switch will hit a million units sold at retail, which is great, and even if it's far less remarkable the Switch itself will pass the 1 million mark on YTD.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Glad fans voted with their wallets on Persona, the way they've handled those games has been really poor.

What was wrong with them? I haven't followed them at all. I know that these look like half of the Persona 4 Dancing Vita. 

TruckOSaurus said:
zorg1000 said:

Context is key.

As of week 7

PS4-558k

NSW-405k

As of week 21

PS4-880k

NSW-987k

Monster Hunter gave PS4 a really nice start to the year, peaking with a 153k lead over NSW but once its effects wore off it has sold barely half as much as NSW.

This trend is not going to change and actually get worse in PS4 favor as Switch has big guns releasing later this year along with Nintendo platforms traditionally getting much larger holiday boosts.

I think there's miscommunication here (or maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand). You're talking about the Switch topping the PS4 for 2018 (as in units sold in 2018), CosmicSex is talking about the Switch topping the PS4's LTD sales in 2018. I don't think anybody expects the PS4 to have better yearly sales than the Switch in Japan.

This. I assume that Switch will overtake PS4 in Japan in 2019.

CosmicSex said:
Mar1217 said:

Why the need to feel attacked ?

And also, with the good stuff coming this summer + SSB/Pokémon Let's Go/FE, etc ... I definitely think it can. Nintendo always has the majority of their sales during the Holiday season, I can't fanthom why people keep forgetting this ...

I don't feel attacked.  I know exactly how I feel thank you very much.  I feel like you guys are being hilarious and overt in your dismissal of the PS4.  If it is doing 17k a week it is more than a little life left.  I'm sure that Swith will do great with Smash and Pokemon but I still don't think it can catch the PS4 this year. 

You have no idea. Four things make the Japanese go crazy insane: 

Dragon quest

Monster Hunter

Splatoon

Pokémonand Pokémon by far is the biggest one of them all.

Which reminds me when is dragon quest 11 for switch coming? Also ps4 is in it's golden years where it sells the most. Just look at the rest of the world. It's selling better than ever everywhere else. I'm Al; fairness it's unfair to compare a new console to one in the prime of it's life. But people do it. I get why switch sells more in Japan as PS4 does in eurEur but there's really no harm in comparing them. It's what this site is about. And it's fun

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

TruckOSaurus said:
zorg1000 said:

Context is key.

As of week 7

PS4-558k

NSW-405k

As of week 21

PS4-880k

NSW-987k

Nope. I think he means the switch can still cross PS4 ltd in 2018. With Pokémon you never know it might do it as early as December. Besides it's clearly gonna do it before the fiscal year is over aka march 2019. So either one way or another, I think the switch will cross the ltd of PS4 I'm 2018. My humble opinion. The difference is easy enough for switch to cross I think especially in the holidays

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

CosmicSex said:
TruckOSaurus said:

This. I assume that Switch will overtake PS4 in Japan in 2019.

I get what you were saying but you also mentioned that the YTD numbers were pretty close and i was just showing that looking at YTD numbers doesnt tell the full story.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.