By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 21): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - May 21-27, 2018

zygote said:
Kerotan said:

If Sony were bothered by the Switch and ps4 sales gap in Japan they'd have given it a much needed price cut last holiday in Japan. Instead they kept the high price point knowing that monster Hunter would sustain sales for the first half of this year regardless so more profit. You have to remember the ps4 is still up 200k yoy. It will be a good few months before it's back to even. 

If Sony want strong holiday sales to keep the overall 2018 sales good then they will give it a long over due price cut sometime later this year. That plus kh3 will do the job. 

Yeah there are a lot of factors.  It will be interesting to watch how it happens sale for sale. I know subtle decisions can make huge differences in the short term. From the rumors Sony wants to stretch the PS4 lifespan just a little more before releasing the PS5 but it wouldn't surprise me if they got it out the door next Fall, hopefully with backwards compatibility.

As a ps4 owner I hope not. So many games that look and play so good. I don't need new hardware for another 30 months at least. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
jonathanalis said:
I wanna see how the pokemon lets go announcement will influence the next week switch sales

Probably minimally, i dont think announcements of games releasing 6 months later does anything for hardware sales.

I think the PS4 got a boost from Monster Hunter World last year didn't it? I might be thinking of holidays though...

Shaqazooloo0 said:
zorg1000 said:

Probably minimally, i dont think announcements of games releasing 6 months later does anything for hardware sales.

I think the PS4 got a boost from Monster Hunter World last year didn't it? I might be thinking of holidays though...

I just looked it up, it was up by 5k in Japan the week MHW was announced and no new games released that week so maybe you're right.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Decent opening for Dark Souls, especially since it's a remaster. Donkey Kong, I believe, has already passed the lifetime sales of the Wii U version? Just barely. Detroit: Become Human didn't open so hot for a brand new AAA game, but I didn't expect it to appeal to Japanese audiences that much tbh.

p0isonparadise said:
Eagle367 said:

You have no idea. Four things make the Japanese go crazy insane: 

Dragon quest

Monster Hunter

Splatoon

Pokémonand Pokémon by far is the biggest one of them all.

Which reminds me when is dragon quest 11 for switch coming? Also ps4 is in it's golden years where it sells the most. Just look at the rest of the world. It's selling better than ever everywhere else. I'm Al; fairness it's unfair to compare a new console to one in the prime of it's life. But people do it. I get why switch sells more in Japan as PS4 does in eurEur but there's really no harm in comparing them. It's what this site is about. And it's fun

You're forgetting Animal Crossing. New Leaf has sold more than any Pokemon. Monster Hunter, or Dragon Quest game in the 8th gen. 

Yeah I forgot Animal Crossing. But Yokai watch is done for. It was all the craze in japan for a while

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also