By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 21): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - May 21-27, 2018

Both DS and PS4 did worse than I expected. Switch sales increasing kind of out of nowhere is nice, however still meh overall. Really looking forward to more exciting Summer times...

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Farsala said:

COMG was pretty spot on though. It had 64+15 pts. 53,000 ¥ premium boxes don't add much to the total though. So 64 or 79 pts for a good ratio becomes 74k, right down the middle.

More specifically the 64 became 71k and the 15 became 3k.

Actually I meant the COMG Sales charts :P

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (May 21 - May 27)

01/ N [PS4] Dark Souls Remastered - 183 pt
02/ N [PS4] Persona Dancing: All-Star Triple Pack - 45 pt
03/ N [PS4] Detroit: Become Human (Normal Version) - 45 pt
04/ N [PSV] Persona Dancing: Deluxe Twin Plus - 44 pt
05/ N [PS4] Persona 5: Dancing Star Night - 25 pt
06/02 [PS4] Like the North Star (normal version) - 19 pt (-1 pt)
07/ N [NSW] Rockman Classics Collection 1 + 2 - 18 pt
08/ N [PS4] DARK SOULS TRILOGY BOX - 13 pt
09/ N [PSV] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - 12 pt
10/06 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 12 pt (+4 pt)
11/ N [PSV] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - 10 pt
12/07 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 10 pt (+2 pt)
13/05 [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 9 pt (-3 pt)
14/04 [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 - 8 pt (-6 pt)
15/ N [PS4] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - 8 pt
16/ N [PS4] Karumaruka Circle (normal version) - 8 pt
17/06 [NSW] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - 8 pt (-10 pt)
18/09 [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy - Con 01: Variety Kit - 7 pt (+1 pt)
19/ N [PSV] UNDERTALE - 6 pt
20/ R [PS4] God of War - 5 pt

Which is also pretty spot on. For PS games it is generally .4 to .5 ratio to the weekly, Nintendo games have a bit better ratio generally due to less digital sales. 183 pts would be about 90k or 73k.

Mnementh said:

Even with a few low-key new releases the PS4 stays at 17K. I think we are looking at the baseline.

Dark Souls sold originally 282K first week in Japan according to VGC-numbers. That's a fourth. If that is consistent across regions, we look at 500K worldwide for the PS4. It might be problematic to extrapolate that way though. as Xbox has relevance outside Japan and sells this too.

EDIT: Vita has halfed sales against last year, 3DS even sells only a third. They are both on their way out of the market.

Uh, PS4 had several new games so I dont think that we could call this baseline, without those releases PS4 would probably had below 15k sales, even with those releases PS4 only had 1.5k better sales compared to last week. From next week PS4 will probably be below 15k and baseline will start moving around 10k in next weeks.

It's kind of amazing that so many people bought the Triple Pack/Double Pack special editions for Persona Dancing. While the unit sales may be disappointing, they're certainly getting a ton of revenue from their core base.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

duduspace1 said:
Only positive thing is that slight Switch bump. I think the PS4 scarcity and its assumed effect on the baseline can now be well and truly laid to rest. What the PS4 is doing currently is basically what it is capable of if it barely moved with no noticeable scarcity and 3 new releases topping the SW charts. The PS4 is still up YTD though so still has some life left in it I guess.
Will be interesting to see how close to that Dark souls figures for PS4 that the switch version comes.

You guys are hilarious.  The PS4 is like year 4/5.  Give it a rest already.  It is still shockingly close to Switch YTD and the Switch will not top its sales this year.  

Around the Network

Glad fans voted with their wallets on Persona, the way they've handled those games has been really poor.

I'm not sure how P4D was released, but I'd say it's likely Sega/Atlus will make much more money due to the super expensive Double/Triple packs being heavily purchased instead of the individual games. Reminds me of anime releases over there honestly, super expensive so only the otaku will purchase them.

Mario odyssey is being beaten every week by a 15 month old zelda game, didn't think that a main mario game would ever have worse legs than a zelda game in Japan.

Breath of the Wild, one week and you'll be at one Million on Switch alone! Breath of the Wild would just need to get to 1.5 million to become the best selling Zelda game right? I hope it has the legs for it.

Donkey and Labo doing well. Donkey seems to be a possible evergreen now. Labo sticking around is a good sign.

How does the Switch version of Mega Man Legacy Collection hold up to the other releases? Does anyone have the numbers?

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 30 May 2018

Shaqazooloo0 said:

How does the Switch version of Mega Man Legacy Collection hold up to the other releases? Does anyone have the numbers?

See https://www.resetera.com/posts/8524846/