Forums - Movies Discussion - Roseanne got cancelled

Chris Hu said:
shikamaru317 said:

It had nothing to do with ratings, that was just ABC's excuse for cancelling it because they didn't agree with his political opinions. It was the 2nd highest rated comedy on ABC the season they cancelled it, only a few hundred thousand viewers behind Modern Family.

For being a pretty shitty laugh track show it actually lasted a lot longer then it should have.  Most of them should be cancelled within three seasons. 

That's because there have been very few good multi-camera laugh track sitcoms since the early 2000's, the studios lost their touch after that. Last Man Standing and this Roseanne reboot were largely the exception to the rule. Also Raising Hope was good, and those 3 are pretty much the only good sitcoms since the early 2000's. 

Around the Network

I love the take that ABC is too politically correct because they cancelled a project centered around a woman who promotes wacky conspiracy theories on Twitter and says black people look like monkeys. If we can't say black people look like monkeys anymore, what are we as a nation!?!?!

For real, Roseanne is nuts. Like, actually nuts. She's struggled with mental illness for a while and so I don't think this is all 100% her fault. It's a liability to the network to have one of their stars saying such terrible things though.

The most interesting part of this to me, is that President Trump bragged about the show's ratings and attributing its success to being about "us" (the Trump base).

He singled out a mentally ill conspiracy theorist and basically told the world, "that's what we're all about."

shikamaru317 said:
Chris Hu said:

For being a pretty shitty laugh track show it actually lasted a lot longer then it should have.  Most of them should be cancelled within three seasons. 

That's because there have been very few good multi-camera laugh track sitcoms since the early 2000's, the studios lost their touch after that. Last Man Standing and this Roseanne reboot were largely the exception to the rule. Also Raising Hope was good, and those 3 are pretty much the only good sitcoms since the early 2000's. 

I guess you don't watch much television lets see It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Fresh Off the Boat, The Mick, Modern Family and Atlanta are all much better shows then the three you mentioned. 

shikamaru317 said:
Chris Hu said:

They probably would pick up that garbage laugh track show it would fit right in with all the new garbage laugh track shows that they have replacing actual good shows that they cancelled (The Mick, The Last Man on Earth, Brooklyn Nine-Nine).

I love them both personally, I have always loved sitcoms, ever since growing up in the 90's and early 2000's watching great sitcoms like Seinfeld, Friends, the original Roseanne, Boy Meets World, Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Everybody Loves Raymond,The King of Queens, and Yes Dear. 

My childhood in a nutshell sans Yes, Dear though. Never could get into that one

Chris Hu said:
shikamaru317 said:

I guess you don't watch much television lets see It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Fresh Off the Boat, The Mick, Modern Family and Atlanta are all much better shows then the three you mentioned. 

I've tried watching some of those and didn't like the ones I did try. Modern Family in particular is far too left wing for me to ever like it. 

Around the Network

Welp, if you know you're prone to say racist things, try not to speak in public.
At least if you're a public figure. Keep that talk between you and your friends on Facetime.

TruckOSaurus said: 
You can't expect someone who holds a position of influence to keep his/her job after tweeting crazy/demeaning things without any regards to whether they are true of not. Right?

I have no idea who you may be referring to, sir...

Last edited by Hiku - on 29 May 2018

PortisheadBiscuit said:
shikamaru317 said:

I love them both personally, I have always loved sitcoms, ever since growing up in the 90's and early 2000's watching great sitcoms like Seinfeld, Friends, the original Roseanne, Boy Meets World, Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Everybody Loves Raymond,The King of Queens, and Yes Dear. 

My childhood in a nutshell sans Yes, Dear though. Never could get into that one

Yeah, we grew up in the golden age of the sitcom imo, so many good sitcoms back then. Earlier decades had good sitcoms as well of course, many of which I've watched, but not as many as we had in the 90's for sure. Sadly nowadays there are barely any good sitcoms, and the few that are good get cancelled too early. I've lost like 4 sitcoms I liked in the last few years, though at least one of them has been revived now (Last Man Standing).

I watched 2 episodes and seeing the cast really old was kinda depressing tbh, Still wish it wasn't canceled though.

shikamaru317 said:
Chris Hu said:

I've tried watching some of those and didn't like the ones I did try. Modern Family in particular is far too left wing for me to ever like it. 

So just because it has two main characters that are gay its far too left wing for your liking, yeah that is a pretty dumb reason for not watching a good show. 

Chris Hu said:
shikamaru317 said:

So just because it has two main characters that are gay its far too left wing for your liking, yeah that is a pretty dumb reason for not watching a good show. 

When did I say that? That is one of the reasons, but far from the only one. It's a shaky, single cam show, which makes me sick. One of it's producers is anti-Christian.

Why would I watch a show that I don't like when there are plenty of shows I can watch that I do like, both current and old?