By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Roseanne got cancelled

Chris Hu said:
Azuren said:

While I know Roseanne legitimately thought that thanks to the content of her tweets, posting a link to the single least reputable leftist organization (it even rhymes with Fox, ffs) isn't going to sway anyone to your side.

Do some basic research and you will find out she has a long history of racists tweets.  Plus on top of all that its a well known fact that she has a long history of mental problems.

Do some basic reading and you will find that I in no way disagreed, I only pointed out that linking someone to Vox to prove your point is almost worse than linking them to Fox.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
Insidb said:

I highly doubt ABC wanted the lead actress on their hit show to ruin it, and they probably are looking for any avenue to recapture the audience and advertising.

It took them a bit too long to take action on it.

I think they might have been fine with all those offensive tweets till they feared it would influence their income.

First you have to look at any tweets Roseann made when the show first aired.  This would be the time frame where ABC and Roseann probably had some type of agreement.  If she made a bunch of racist comments between that time frame then you can label them as being slow.  Also, we do not know if this was not the first time ABC actually had conversations with Roseann about her tweets.  This could have been the third offense and termination was the next option.  

Immersiveunreality said:
Insidb said:

I highly doubt ABC wanted the lead actress on their hit show to ruin it, and they probably are looking for any avenue to recapture the audience and advertising.

It took them a bit too long to take action on it.

I think they might have been fine with all those offensive tweets till they feared it would influence their income.

Two words: cash money.

Machiavellian said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

You should probably look up the planet of the apes movie. It's a bunch of white people who are dressed up as highly evolved primates who more closely represent humans than their ancestors. You definitely can't tell that the person is African American by looks. She's mostly white ancestry. 

This would then make Roseann statement even more clear and pointed if I were to go by your statement.  White person dressed up as a monkey, I am not sure if your statement makes it sound any better for Roseann but instead seems to make it more pointed that she did know of the ancestry of the person she was trashing.

Isn't it common consensus at this point in time, aside from religion, that Homo sapiens eventually evolved from apes/monkeys/chimps/etc, and that the cradle of all human life originated in Africa? Wouldn't that then mean every single human being is some part black, and some portion primate? Meaning anyone who referred to anybody else as an ape would be a racist based solely on political correctness as it is understood by some, but technically would be biologically correct?

EricHiggin said:
Machiavellian said:

This would then make Roseann statement even more clear and pointed if I were to go by your statement.  White person dressed up as a monkey, I am not sure if your statement makes it sound any better for Roseann but instead seems to make it more pointed that she did know of the ancestry of the person she was trashing.

Isn't it common consensus at this point in time, aside from religion, that Homo sapiens eventually evolved from apes/monkeys/chimps/etc, and that the cradle of all human life originated in Africa? Wouldn't that then mean every single human being is some part black, and some portion primate? Meaning anyone who referred to anybody else as an ape would be a racist based solely on political correctness as it is understood by some, but technically would be biologically correct?

If you go by history, and how calling blacks monkeys, apes, hell you even have cartoons and other material that show examples of this all the time.  So no, it was not stated as anything but a slur to dehumanize a race.  Hell back in the day, they had so called scientist try to portray blacks as a sub human species so they could make their case for enslavement.  Basically what you are saying is garbage.  The whole meaning of calling another race an animal is to make then appear to be subhuman and thus progragate hate for that group.  Its to make them look less then human so when you do inhuman things to them you can state they do not have human status.  Read up on this stuff so that you can understand why this is not a trivial matter.

Around the Network

What bothers me is how television networks feel the need to do something so drastic like this. Now, I certainly don't know the whole story, but my initial reaction is that what Roseanne did was probably on her own accord, unaffiliated with ABC. Sure, ABC can cancel the show, that's their right, but at that point I wouldn't put the blame entirely on Roseanne Barr.

It seemed a bit extreme to cancel the show, but you can't just fire roseanne from the roseanne show. It's not freaking roseanne at that point. I don't know how hard it is for celebrities to keep their traps shut.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Never thought she was racist. Actually i thought she was a immgrant or at least had immigrant roots.

fuallmofus said:
Never thought she was racist. Actually i thought she was a immgrant or at least had immigrant roots.

People can be both immigrant and racist.

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

2 things.

1. We didn't evolve from apes or monkeys.  Apes and monkeys share a common ancestor with us.  From that common ancestor came apes, monkeys and humans.  Science classes in the mid to late 20th century did a really botched job on that whole evolution thing.

2. Black is merely a pigmentation selection based on natural selection for handling the climate nearer the equator.  Early humans were of lighter skin tones because we had thicker hair all over.  The darker tones came later as we lost hair and those with darker tones were better able to cope in warmer climates.

True,move whatever skincolour to colder regions and they would turn white in far future and vice versa.