By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games should be made "EXCLUSIVE" for one platform again

Owning a PC, PS4, and a Switch, I play multiplats on PC, and leave the exclusives to console. I don't see a reason for exclusive games. As everyone is saying, the consoles are similar, and it isn't a hassle getting a game up and running on another console. It's not a good idea money-wise to leave millions of potential customers out from buying your game.

Around the Network

Sadly we live in a world when even when a game only exists on a single console for a good reason (The company paid for it and would not exist without it, hello Bayonetta 2 and 3) that people riot.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
Sadly we live in a world when even when a game only exists on a single console for a good reason (The company paid for it and would not exist without it, hello Bayonetta 2 and 3) that people riot.

It's a shame we exist in a world where games that exist due to people funding said games, are able to make their way to multiple platforms, thus making more money. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

3rd party exclusivity is bad for everyone involved.

Some gamers get excluded from playing a game they might want to play.
Only option would be to buy all the systems.

3rd party developers are losing tons of money by disregarding potential customers on other platforms.
Fanbase cannot evolve further, which will hurt potential sales of every sequel.

Leaving out a single platform could be beneficial for a developer, but making it exclusive for one definitely isn't.

shikamaru317 said:
No thank you. Everybody deserves the right to be able to play great games.

You are able to play all games. Or does anyone locks you out as soon as you've reached a certain number of hardware? What are one most recent greatest games btw?

Everything in moderation. Especially when it comes quantity.

It was more well balanced once. Today it feels all so... mainstreamlined.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

It's cool for for platform owners, not as cool for developers. With the cost of game development today, I don't blame devs for wanting a bigger market to sell to. And, technically, this benefits us all more since it ensures that more developers stay afloat and make more money.

Being 3rd party exclusive can be beneficial if you are targeting a specific audience. I have always held the understanding that simply bringing your game to more consoles does not magically make a game sell more. It is exposure to given fanbase within the userbase.

There is little reason to bring niche japanese titles to xbox, the time and effort becomes less and less worth it. If ps4 has 70% market share and is historically the place to be for japanese games, then staying just on them is more profitable. The people who are into that sort of thing probably own a ps4, so the minute number of sales made on xbox would have eventually been made on ps4. They did not access some magical new market.

Now what upsets this is breaking of said tradition. The more those types of games become less synonymous with PlayStation only, the larger the base for xbox will become. Yet that takes years to break.

Square Enix approach of this puzzles me for this reason. FFXIII sold 6to1 on ps3/360. U have to think, at least part of those 360 sales would have been made on ps3 if not given the option of 360 which really begs the question was it worth it. With each of the XIII sequels we saw that gap widen.

Then they give us all these remakes. KH, FFX, FFXII, etc. All back to being console exclusive to PlayStation. They basically acknowledge the return on xbox versions was not worth the venture. Yet....FFXV is multiplat also again. They recognize the nostalgia gor the series almost entirely rests in PlayStation but they want it to eventually divy up more evenly so their fate isn't so closely tied to them...that's my take.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I kinda agree and I kinda don’t - let me explain. Today’s consoles aren’t all that similar so if a dev must make the same game for all four (PC included), then someone is going to suffer optimized wise. I was the victim of this constantly during gen 7. I made the Xbox my main console (I owned all 4) and in many cases, I had to play games that I knew could be better graphically, online, and generally all around. EA was a big culprit of this. Everyone who didn’t own a ps2 got that version - regardless of your console preference. Sometimes we were thrown a bone and a dev would optimize our version (Ubisoft - Rainbow Six 3, Ghost Recon 1 & 2 (2 was a different campaign on the Xbox simply due to its strength over the ps2 and GC)), but even that wasn’t across the board as Rainbow Six Lockdown was a drastic step down in quality due to making the same game for everyone.

When EA and Activision wake up and look at Switch numbers and port over Battlefield and Call of Duty - do you think they’ll make optimized versions for everyone else? Don’t hold your breath.

Nobody should be bother by this because a game that is exclusive to a system makes no difference to us because we are able to play it on whatever system it's made for. Just go out and buy it. Simple.

And if anybody chooses to not buy a game because it's on a platform that you do not prefer to own then clearly that game isn't that important to you.

Meh. Exclusive deals still exist anyways. The more people can buy third party games the better. It also encourages the creation of more new ips since it's less risky even if just a little.

Console owners like nintendo and sony already have their own studios anyways. So there you have fuel for console wars and dick measuring contests. Wanting 3rd parties to be exclusive just for the chance of higher quality sounds petty to me.