By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gen 1 had the worst Pokémon, in my opinion

SecondWar said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

A lot of people like to praise generation 1 for having great Pokémon designs, and while I really like some of the designs (such as Lapras, Bulbasaur and Eevee), I think it was overall the worst generation in that regard. Not only design-wise, but they also made some decisions (due to hardware issues or simply lack of identity) that don't fit anymore with what the series has become. Here are some examples:

1. Ekans is just a snake. No more, no less. Its name is also just "snake" backwards.
  2. Nidoran Male and Female are two different species. I guess the Game Boy couldn't handle sprite differences based on gender.
  3. Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed. Both Nidoran, Nidorino, and Nidoking can. That's still true in newer games, despite it making absolutely no sense at all.
  4. Dugtrio is the laziest Pokémon ever created. It literally is three Digletts together, not a single new feature added to it. I can understand Magneton being three Magnemites together because that's what magnets do, but moles don't do that as far as I'm concerned.
  5. Psyduck and Golduck are pure Water-types, despite Psyduck literally being an amalgamation of "Psychic" and "Duck". 
  6. A lot of Pokémon are literally wearing clothes. It's not like they have clothes-like aspects, they're clearly using human clothes. Jynx, Hitmonchan, Mr. Mime, Machoke and Machamp all wear human clothes.
  7. Kadabra and Alakazam are holding spoons all the time. Kanto must have a pretty big spoon factory. It's not like the spoons are part of the Pokémon either, they're clearly just holding them.
  8. Graveler evolving into Golem makes no sense. Graveler is a living rock. Golem is a reptile "stuck" inside a rock.
  9. Seel is just a seal. They just changed a letter.
  10. Dewgong is just a Dugong. They just changed two letters.
  11. Muk is just a larger Grimer. And they're both just boring piles of mud.
  12. Krabby is just a Crab. Its name in Japanese is literally "Crab". The only inspiration for its design is a crab.
  13. Electrode is a terrible evolution. It would have been much more interesting to go from Voltorb (a Poké Ball), to a Great Ball and then to an Ultra Ball. Instead, they just flipped it around and gave it a mouth.
  14. Mr. Mime and Jynx look too much like humans. It's weird to even call them Pokémon.
  15. Venomoth is just a regular moth. So creative.
  16. Exeggcute is a bunch of eggs. Just eggs with faces.
  17. Kangaskhan is born with a baby in its pouch. I guess they didn't think that through.
  18. Goldeen is just a goldfish. There's absolutely nothing interesting about it.
  19. Dragonair and Dragonite don't even look remotely similar. Why are they part of the same evolutionary family?

For your evolution differences, Metapod looks nothing like Butterfree but it still works. Plus Dragonite does resemble Dragonair, but has a colour change and arms and legs. Still the same serpent shape though.

That's because Metapod is cocoon. Cocoons are supposed to look completely different from the final form. Dragonair and Graveler are not cocoons. Btw, Dragonair and Dragonite are completely different. Dragonair is a serpent, Dragonite is a chubby dinosaur with some tiny wings. They have completely different color schemes too.

B O I

Around the Network

I haven't kept us with the last few gens of Pokemon but every now and then I see an image of some weird ass looking thing and I find out later that it's actually a Pokemon. I like the simplistic designs so in my eyes they've just gotten worse since gen 1.

Gen 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 4 > Gen 7 > Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 5

Gen 1 might be the least creative, but gen 5 had way more boring and forgettable Pokémon.

The first Pokemon was the best Pokemon game imo.

Last edited by AlfredoTurkey - on 22 May 2018

I don't have a lot of experience with Pokémon, but from what I've seen, gen 2 is the worst by far. Gen 1 might be boring and have some questionable gameplay design choice, but overall, its Pokémon design is fairly solid.

Around the Network

Gen 6 and Gen 7 had such good Pokemon...because there were less and there was more emphasis on quality rather than quantity. It shouldn't come to surprise at all that the Pokemon felt more memorable as a result. They could afford to go this route since there was already 500+ Pokemon in the dex, so adding another 100 Pokemon wasn't exactly necessary, and they could be more careful and clever with design. Gen 1 couldn't, it needed the quantity as the first title in the series.

There are about as many good Pokemon in Gen 7 as Gen 1, because Gen 1 had so many. And I'd say at least 40 of the Gen 1 Pokemon had good design.

It's kind of unfair to make these comparisons unless you condense the sample size of Gen 1...and you can't.

Flilix said:

Gen 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 4 > Gen 7 > Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 5

Gen 1 might be the least creative, but gen 5 had way more boring and forgettable Pokémon.

Switch 4 and 1 and you have my ranking. 

Gen 2 still sucks the most money wisr

Ka-pi96 said:
Barkley said:
It's because you're not blinded by nostalgia.

Fixed that for you.

A lot of the gen 1/2 mons really are just incredibly uninspired and boring. Take off the nostalgia goggles and you can see that.

you have to take into account that the OP was -5 years old when Gen one was a thing, by the time he was old enough to walk/talk/post on the internet, the concept of a pokemon which must make allowances to be male/female do not make sense to him because when he was born the Nintendo DS and PSP were on the Horizon, the concept of a game being limited by a 4mhz processor is hard to take into account when you have something close to a portable PS2 available by the time he can talk.

This makes me feel old to say, but I must now understand why people would sigh and roll their heads when classic films are criticized by people on youtube in 2018

@OP though, you say the region must be full of spoons for all those Kadabra/Alakazam I'm fairly sure in Gen 1 only a Gym leader has more than one Kadabra and most certainly an Alakazam, perhaps if you did find the Kadabra in the wild and defeated it they simply would pick up the spoon of their fallen friend to focus their powers on you... (also they just wanted something to look like Uri Geller as without the spoons he would just look like an anteater, easy to add those in 8bit hardware to convey that the pokemon has psychic power ties)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Yikes. I obviously don't mean all Pokemon 4 and after look bad. I just don't like the majority of the designs. Only people online would assume I mean that LITERALLY every Pokemon after gen 3 has a poor design lol.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.