Kaneman! said:
I don't know man, the following are all worse for me:
- the garbage pokemon
- the ice cream
- the sword
- the keys
- the heart fish

I'm sure I forgot some.

I don't see why a garbage pokémon would be any worse than a sludge pokémon. I don't see why an ice cream pokémon would be any worse than an egg pokémon. I don't see why a possessed sword would be any worse than a living pokéball (not even a possessed pokéball, just a pokéball that somehow lives). I don't see why a keychain pokémon would be any worse than a magnet pokémon. I don't see why a heart fish pokémon would be any worse than a regular crab.

For the record, what the Pokemon is isn't so much the issue as the execution. Aegislash may be a possessed sword which sounds silly, but the execution of the design is incredible:

Compare to this atrocity on the other hand:

Around the Network

I don't mind Pokemon looking like animals because in their universe they're supposed to be animals. Them being simplistic works to me. I prefer the animal Pokemon than the rest.

As for Pokemon with clothes and household items I never liked them. Especially those Pokemon with dresses or karate outfits. In my head I just imagine they found them before they evolved or something. Like Kadabra species are so interested in spoons they take them before evolving and Machamp admire wrestling so much they steal the belts lol.

As for worst Pokemon that goes to Gen 5. The only ones I liked were Oshawatt, Zebrstrika, Krookidile, Galvantula and Volcarona. Just throw the Unova region away.

HandofPrometheus said:
I don't mind Pokemon looking like animals because in their universe they're supposed to be animals. Them being simplistic works to me. I prefer the animal Pokemon than the rest.

Animal Pokémon are also my favourites. My problem is when they look just like the real-world animal but drawn in a cute style, with no original aspects at all. Does that make sense? :S

B O I

HyrulianScrolls said:

All this gen 6 bashing sucks! How can anyone love this franchise and not think these are amazing designs:

I was just going through a list of gen 6 pokes and these were the ones I choose. God I love Pyroar. Sad they butchered Fenniken though...

HandofPrometheus said:
HyrulianScrolls said:

All this gen 6 bashing sucks! How can anyone love this franchise and not think these are amazing designs:

I was just going through a list of gen 6 pokes and these were the ones I choose. God I love Pyroar. Sad they butchered Fenniken though...

Seriously, Delphox is probably my worst disappointment in the Pokémon series. Fennekin had so much potential ;-;

B O I

Around the Network

I agree about these, but I think simplicity is precisely why people like it so much and also the reason that Pokemon was at its peak in popularity during gen 1 and gen 2.

I am also surprised by the gen 5 bashing, and the gen 7 praise in here. Can you look at this list and honestly say you don't like any of the pokemon in it. 

Now to gen 7, we have Palossand and Mimikyu for really crappy designs and the ultra beasts all suck, they look like badly designed cool Digimon. Oh and Necrozma talk about bland and uninspired.

HandofPrometheus said:

Braixen is still really good, but yeah Delphox is pretty bad. No clue what they were thinking there. Forgot to include that one on my gen 6 bad list. 

Kirin_gaming said:

I agree about these, but I think simplicity is precisely why people like it so much and also the reason that Pokemon was at its peak in popularity during gen 1 and gen 2.

I am also surprised by the gen 5 bashing, and the gen 7 praise in here. Can you look at this list and honestly say you don't like any of the pokemon in it. 

Now to gen 7, we have Palossand and Mimikyu for really crappy designs and the ultra beasts all suck, they look like badly designed cool Digimon. Oh and Necrozma talk about bland and uninspired.

Yeah, the gen 7 praise is a bit surprising to me. I mean it's fine I guess, but very middle of the pack design wise, imo. Lots of throwaway ones, almost as many as the good ones. And I can't stand the Ultra Beasts designs, worst thing they've ever done in terms of the Pokemon themselves. Hope they stay in gen 7 and never see the light of day again in the future. 

Satoshi Tajiri had more concepts to choose from but they were voted out:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-manga-reveals-some-weird-unused-gen-i-mons/1100-6459053/

LuccaCardoso1 said:

A lot of people like to praise generation 1 for having great Pokémon designs, and while I really like some of the designs (such as Lapras, Bulbasaur and Eevee), I think it was overall the worst generation in that regard. Not only design-wise, but they also made some decisions (due to hardware issues or simply lack of identity) that don't fit anymore with what the series has become. Here are some examples:

1. Ekans is just a snake. No more, no less. Its name is also just "snake" backwards.
  2. Nidoran Male and Female are two different species. I guess the Game Boy couldn't handle sprite differences based on gender.
  3. Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed. Both Nidoran, Nidorino, and Nidoking can. That's still true in newer games, despite it making absolutely no sense at all.
  4. Dugtrio is the laziest Pokémon ever created. It literally is three Digletts together, not a single new feature added to it. I can understand Magneton being three Magnemites together because that's what magnets do, but moles don't do that as far as I'm concerned.
  5. Psyduck and Golduck are pure Water-types, despite Psyduck literally being an amalgamation of "Psychic" and "Duck". 
  6. A lot of Pokémon are literally wearing clothes. It's not like they have clothes-like aspects, they're clearly using human clothes. Jynx, Hitmonchan, Mr. Mime, Machoke and Machamp all wear human clothes.
  7. Kadabra and Alakazam are holding spoons all the time. Kanto must have a pretty big spoon factory. It's not like the spoons are part of the Pokémon either, they're clearly just holding them.
  8. Graveler evolving into Golem makes no sense. Graveler is a living rock. Golem is a reptile "stuck" inside a rock.
  9. Seel is just a seal. They just changed a letter.
  10. Dewgong is just a Dugong. They just changed two letters.
  11. Muk is just a larger Grimer. And they're both just boring piles of mud.
  12. Krabby is just a Crab. Its name in Japanese is literally "Crab". The only inspiration for its design is a crab.
  13. Electrode is a terrible evolution. It would have been much more interesting to go from Voltorb (a Poké Ball), to a Great Ball and then to an Ultra Ball. Instead, they just flipped it around and gave it a mouth.
  14. Mr. Mime and Jynx look too much like humans. It's weird to even call them Pokémon.
  15. Venomoth is just a regular moth. So creative.
  16. Exeggcute is a bunch of eggs. Just eggs with faces.
  17. Kangaskhan is born with a baby in its pouch. I guess they didn't think that through.
  18. Goldeen is just a goldfish. There's absolutely nothing interesting about it.
  19. Dragonair and Dragonite don't even look remotely similar. Why are they part of the same evolutionary family?

Maybe st Pokemon are just twists on animals, and Gen 1 is obviously going to be the most basic part of this concept. Personally, the animal ones are the best. It gets stupid with Mr Mime, Jynx and Voltorb/Electrode, but there's Pokemon like this in every Gen.

Other than that some of your logic is a bit off.

Nidorina/Nidoqueen has confused me as well, but I think it's how the breeding system works in game. If they did, I don't think they'd ever produce male Nidoran, which would make less sense. Had they been introduced Gen 4 or later, Nidoran would have been a single Pokemon.

Kadabra and Alakazam seem to get the spoons when they evolve, so looks like they are a part of them.

For your evolution differences, Metapod looks nothing like Butterfree but it still works. Plus Dragonite does resemble Dragonair, but has a colour change and arms and legs. Still the same serpent shape though.