By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 18): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - April 30 - May 6, 2018 (Golden Week)

Megiddo said:
RolStoppable said:

The definitions of "good" and "not good" can greatly vary, so assigning actual numbers to which constitutes what would be a good start. How many units would each Labo kit have to sell in Japan by the end of 2018 to be considered good? Others are free to answer that question as well.

Twice the initial shipment. ~800k combined or ~600k for Variety and ~200k for Robot

This would be two-thirds of your worldwide prediction for variety and 40% of worldwide for robot. Aren't you moving goalposts?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
So, on the Switch, what Nintendo 1st party title has failed to clear 1 million? You don't think DKTF will fail to clear it do you? the DS/GBA had a ton of retail games to compete for consumer wallets. The Switch, thus far, does not.

Thats a pretty rediculous stipulation, you are talking about enthusiasts so why would having increased competition be relevent?

You are saying a Nintendo game is guaranteed to pass 1 million simply by being a Nintendo game well guess what? Literally ever Nintendo system ever has had a bunch of Nintendo games fail to hit 1 million and Switch will be no different.

If Labo sells 1 million it will be because the idea appealed to 1 million people, not because Nintendo made it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

@Mnementh No, because my prediction wasn't for it to sell "good". I predicted less than good sales. Middling, sub-par, mediocre.

zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

How many titles sell over a million? Pretty much every single Nintendo first-party game on the Switch.

If it's Nintendo then it's going to sell on the Switch. Hell, just look at 1-2 Switch for proof of that concept. Are you saying that Labo was not fiscally ambitious nor an attempt to grow the userbase of the Switch? If the only goal of Labo was to sell to Nintendo enthusiasts then I guess the mission was accomplished.

Nintendo enthusiasts dont bring sales to a million otherwise Fossil Fighters, pre-3DS Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Metroid Zero Mission/Hunters, Kirby Canvas/Rainbow Curse, Xenoblade 1 & X, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, DK Jungle Climber, Star Fox Command/Zero, Codename STEAM, etc would have all cleared 1 million.

Not to mention, in addition, games like Chibi-Robo, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, and Earthbound from way back.

Of course, he's talking about the Switch, but I agree from your recent post, saying that not every Nintendo game will reach a million just because.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 10 May 2018

Kai_Mao said:
zorg1000 said:

Nintendo enthusiasts dont bring sales to a million otherwise Fossil Fighters, pre-3DS Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Metroid Zero Mission/Hunters, Kirby Canvas/Rainbow Curse, Xenoblade 1 & X, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, DK Jungle Climber, Star Fox Command/Zero, Codename STEAM, etc would have all cleared 1 million.

Not to mention, in addition, games like Chibi-Robo, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, and Earthbound from way back.

Yep, like i said in my next post literally every Nintendo device ever has had a bunch of Nintendo games sell less than 1 million so pretending like a game will sell 1 million simply by being developed/published by Nintendo is just nonsense.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
So, on the Switch, what Nintendo 1st party title has failed to clear 1 million? You don't think DKTF will fail to clear it do you? the DS/GBA had a ton of retail games to compete for consumer wallets. The Switch, thus far, does not.

Because on WiiU Nintendo First party titles had not a ton of retail games as competition, Nintendo games sold record numbers on WiiU. Oh, wait...

That so far the titles on Switch gain success, does not mean a very expensive product including physical items that have to be assembled first and targets a significantly smaller group has to sell the same.

And yes, it is about not being a flop. Because you and others say these sales are disappointing, which is just another word for flop.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Disappointing is not another word for flop. Underperforming is not a word for flop. A "flop" happens when you fail. In the investment sense (all video games are investments), it's when a venture fails to exceed the amount of capital invested in it. I put it in bold and caps and even put a little graphical ASCII chart to show you that it's not a binary flop/good conditional. At this point, I'm spent.

Hiku said:

Labo sold around 200k in Japan in two weeks?
I wouldn't say that's bad. Not everything they release has to be on the same scale as something else sales wise. More variety is always good. I usually rather have 10 different games that sell 200k each than one game that sells 2M. (As long as they're profitable enough.)
Considering the rather simplistic software involved with Labo, and the nature of the cardboard and who it's mainly geared towards, I had no particular sales expectations. But 200k in two weeks, I know many games that would love to have numbers like that.

3 weeks, which included Golden Week.

@ Megiddo

Definitely agree. It's not a flop. But, considering it's taken 3 weeks to sell ~50% of its first shipment, it's definitely not doing as well as Nintendo expected. Especially after the big ad push for it. 

Megiddo said: At this point, I'm spent.

Understandable, as there are no longer any straws left to grasp

thismeintiel said:
Hiku said:

Labo sold around 200k in Japan in two weeks?
I wouldn't say that's bad. Not everything they release has to be on the same scale as something else sales wise. More variety is always good. I usually rather have 10 different games that sell 200k each than one game that sells 2M. (As long as they're profitable enough.)
Considering the rather simplistic software involved with Labo, and the nature of the cardboard and who it's mainly geared towards, I had no particular sales expectations. But 200k in two weeks, I know many games that would love to have numbers like that.

3 weeks, which included Golden Week.

@ Megiddo

Definitely agree. It's not a flop. But, considering it's taken 3 weeks to sell ~50% of its first shipment, it's definitely not doing as well as Nintendo expected. Especially after the big ad push for it. 

Thank you for your insight on what nintendo expects

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.