By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnw1104 said:
Man we as a community can really be condescending and elitist lol

This is fine so long as they don't abandon "core gamers" or w/e. The Wii essentially did that from the start, and the Switch seems to clearly be a product of that learned lesson. With the games they've announced and continued 3rd party ports to the system, there's not much to be worried about yet.

No it didn't. The whole "abandonment" issue is largely a myth. Sure, Nintendo's methods were misguided at times, but they still made their core games, more core games than the "Blue Ocean" type software. 

Yeah, Wii had Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Super Paper Mario, AND Fire Emblem during its first year alongside Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and also party games like Warioware and Mario Party 8, and some more unique creative titles like Endless Ocean/Eternal Blue and Excite Truck, as well as the original incarnation of the EShop and Virtual console. All in year 1. Yet people still try to perpetuate the “Wii had no games for gamers” myth.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

You know what after thinking about it let them have one last crack. After all Japanese understand baseball.

Strike 1 - 1 2 Switch

Strike 2 - Labo

Strike 3 - Whatever it will be

CASUALS OUT!

Neither of those games are casual games.

Casual games are games built for short play sessions at least once a day - often multiple times a day - over long periods of time (ideally many months, or even years). Examples are Brain Age, Fire Emblem Heroes, and Animal Crossing.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The title/article phrased it way differently than Nintendo phrased it. Nintendo ALWAYS targets this audience now, they just do it in conjunction with core games. Nintendo has put out core games, now Nintendo will put out some casual games in addition to the core games already confirmed for this year (Fire Emblem, Smash, maybe Pokemon, etc). This partially applies to Labo as well.

Also, this is for games like 2D Mario and Animal Crossing as well. Not all of these types of games are going to be like Labo/1-2 Switch.

contestgamer said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Well, yeah. Hard work is important, but not to the extent that your suggesting. Nintendo should be demanding the best from their staff, but they should also treat them like actual humans who need to eat and sleep. There should be a balance, don't moddy cuddle your developers, but don't abuse them like a Korean animation studio. 

Why? I dont understand your issue with this. You can only squeeze out the maximum amount of juice with the maximum amount of pressure applied. Squeeze these developers hard and they will deliver.

You have no idea about labor efficiency. Stop talking of humans as slaves.

Out of curiosity, what is your profession?

Hiku said:
alejollorente10 said:

I can not copy and paste it here but look at the answer to question number 5.

Thank you.

"In this second year, the initiatives we are planning come  from  our  recognition  that  we  also  have to challenge ourselves to delivering Nintendo Switch into the hands of consumers who have never played a Nintendo platform before, and to those have played before, but not recently."

@GProgrammer
None of these are necessarily "non-gamers" as the topic title suggests.
There are gamers who have never played on a Nintendo platform, or haven't in a long time.

Ya that could technically mean people who have only owned PS/XB consoles and retro gamers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Cobretti2 said:

I live in a city of 4 million people yet I am to see anyone carry a switch and playing it, or even sitting at a park bench/bus/tram/train stoop or a food court playing one.

all i see everyday is people on their phones on facebook or playing casual games. this is the reality.

Why cross a tightrope that is about to snap in the hope of striking rich when you can cross a 10 lane freeway and guarantee yourself gold?

Well for starters, it's probably just your area, so it'll vary. Also, the Switch is only just a year old, so it'll take time to start seeing people carry it out of the house be a regular occurrence in most areas. Nintendo simply needs to continue provide compelling software that you not only want to take with you, but is also unique from smartphones. 

I'll take it a step further i haven't seen a 3DS in months and when I did the person looked more like a gamer than a casual person killing time. There is millions of them here. The casuals have simply moved on. There is nothing wrong with that though. Just make games for gamers and those who have time will carry around their switch.

I honestly wonder how they are planning to move. The announced games and online service is aimed to more dedicated userbase.

Aside of Labo and 1-2 Switch I don't know what they have to achive this.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Cobretti2 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Well for starters, it's probably just your area, so it'll vary. Also, the Switch is only just a year old, so it'll take time to start seeing people carry it out of the house be a regular occurrence in most areas. Nintendo simply needs to continue provide compelling software that you not only want to take with you, but is also unique from smartphones. 

I'll take it a step further i haven't seen a 3DS in months and when I did the person looked more like a gamer than a casual person killing time. There is millions of them here. The casuals have simply moved on. There is nothing wrong with that though. Just make games for gamers and those who have time will carry around their switch.

In the 3DS' case, it more has to do with it not being a very appealing system to casuals together, being seen as more for children. The Switch is more appealing to a broader audience.

contestgamer said:
MasonADC said:

You seriously are not against that? There health is not as important as you getting the game? We can all wait as long as we need. 

This is a very small group of people in absolute terms that we're talking about. Few thousand. Millions play their games. Those millions are more important than the well being of a few thousand. Lets look at a 30 year stretch. We can have 10 Zelda games if they work them 50% more or we can have 6 if they dont. Nobody knows if theyre going to be alive 30 years from now - that's a 4 game swing that people might miss out on in their lives over just a 30 year stretch. These developers need to be maximized. 

Your math is severely off here.  The millions' health are not at stake.  Gotta put the value behind the numbers first, so if we had to compare the value of those millions' entertainment vs the thousands' livelihood....lets see...carry the 2, divide by the numerator, cancel out the denominator, raise the escalator, reach for the masturbator...yes I've got it.  The value of 1 of the millions' entertainment in this equation is approximately .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%  to 1 of the thousands' livelihood, and keep in mind there's  a decimal Googol margin of error.

Lube Me Up

GoOnKid said:
contestgamer said:

Why? I dont understand your issue with this. You can only squeeze out the maximum amount of juice with the maximum amount of pressure applied. Squeeze these developers hard and they will deliver.

You have no idea about labor efficiency. Stop talking of humans as slaves.

Out of curiosity, what is your profession?

Considering the way he thinks of developers, I think that slave owner might be his profession.