By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

Mar1217 said:
Knew some people would jump out their guns while reading this.

Some people have forgot that we're getting core games as always (SSB,Fire Emblem,Yoshi,Metroid,Octopath Traveler,etc ...) nothing as changed there guys. Trying to be all inclusive has always been a strategy for Nintendo to sell their hardware, heck the Switch itself is a result of this mentality.

Jumping the gun is a staple in the gaming community today. Everyone loves to overreact to things they don't know the full details of. We are still indeed getting core games it's just that Nintendo is big enough especially after merging their handheld and console teams) to handle other avenues of selling the Switch.

This is nothing but good news for Nintendo. They are still developing their bread and butter traditional software but also exploring new ways to sell the device. The length people are going to spin this into something negative is astonishing.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 08 May 2018

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Mar1217 said:
Knew some people would jump out their guns while reading this.

Some people have forgot that we're getting core games as always (SSB,Fire Emblem,Yoshi,Metroid,Octopath Traveler,etc ...) nothing as changed there guys. Trying to be all inclusive has always been a strategy for Nintendo to sell their hardware, heck the Switch itself is a result of this mentality.

Jumping the gun is a staple in rhe gaming community today. Everyone loves to overreact to things rhey don't know the full details of. We are still indeed getting core games it's just that Nintendo is big enough especially after merging their handheld and console teams) to handle other avenues of selling the Switch.

This is nothing but good news for Nintendo. They are still developing their bread and butter traditional software but also exploring new ways to sell the device. The length people are going to spin this into something negative is astonishing.

No, its just that some have Nintendos best interest at heart and others have gamers best interest at heart.

KLXVER said:
Ljink96 said:

Jumping the gun is a staple in rhe gaming community today. Everyone loves to overreact to things rhey don't know the full details of. We are still indeed getting core games it's just that Nintendo is big enough especially after merging their handheld and console teams) to handle other avenues of selling the Switch.

No, its just that some have Nintendos best interest at heart and others have gamers best interest at heart.

What?  We're still getting the best 1st and 3rd party support Nintendo has seen in years! We're getting what core gamers want. Nintendo is again, more than big enough to handle exploring other avenues of selling the Switch. We're going to get software that was previously only exclusive to Nintendo handhelds i.e. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc. I don't see why people are reaching so hard to make this a negative topic when we know nothing about the details of what Kimishima said. It's silly to be quite honest.

It is possible to understand the desires that Nintendo has as well as understand what gamers want from Nintendo...I be on of them people. And again we don't even know what this means, and it more than likely won't be forced upon their users. We just need to stop overreacting.

The Wii U era was an era where it would have been okay to be concerned about Nintendo...this however is not an era where I'd be concerned about Nintendo. PS4 entices the casual market as does Xbox One, they'd be silly not to at least try.

Ljink96 said:
KLXVER said:

What?  We're still getting the best 1st and 3rd party support Nintendo has seen in years! We're getting what core gamers want. Nintendo is again, more than big enough to handle exploring other avenues of selling the Switch. We're going to get software that was previously only exclusive to Nintendo handhelds i.e. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc. I don't see why people are reaching so hard to make this a negative topic when we know nothing about the details of what Kimishima said. It's silly to be quite honest.

It is possible to understand the desires that Nintendo has as well as understand what gamers want from Nintendo...I be on of them people. And again we don't even know what this means, and it more than likely won't be forced upon their users. We just need to stop overreacting.

I don't think we need to stop overreacting. We need to because people keep defending everything they do. Its getting silly at this point.

KLXVER said:
Ljink96 said:

I don't think we need to stop overreacting. We need to because people keep defending everything they do. Its getting silly at this point.

Defending what? We don't . know . what . this. means.  What is so negative about what has been said that compels you to feel so strongly about this? Every company says this, every game company wants more consumers on their platform. What could possibly happen to cause gamers to be concerned about Switch and their hardcore games?

Kimishima didn't say "We're halting all development of Smash Bros, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Zeldas Sequel, etc. To focus on Wii Sports Switch". Why the backlash over such a vague comment? Please fill me in so maybe I can see your point because as of now your point holds no merit.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
KLXVER said:

Defending what? We don't . know . what . this. means.  What is so negative about what has been said that compels you to feel so strongly about this? Every company says this, every game company wants more consumers on their platform. What could possibly happen to cause gamers to be concerned about Switch and their hardcore games?

Kimishima didn't say "We're halting all development of Smash Bros, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Zeldas Sequel, etc. To focus on Wii Sports Switch". Why the backlash over such a vague comment? Please fill me in so maybe I can see your point because as of now your point hold no merit.

Why do they feel like they have to appeal to everyone in the world? If people don't like video games, then let them. Look at the best selling games on the Switch and WiiU. Great games for both longtime gamers and newcomers. If they keep focusing on that, then they will be fine, but they always need to try and create the next craze. It worked with the Wii because of Wii Sports and the simplicity of the Wiimote. 

They marketed the Switch for young adults, gave us great games, made a killing and now they want to focus on something else? Why? Why the hell isn't that good enough? Now many of us have to wait months and months for Nintendo to try and get people who don't want it to begin with. Its annoying. I have bought like 3 games for the Switch this year and all 3 are older indie games... 

While they keep pursuing the people who don't care, the people who got the Switch in 2017 are starting to go elsewhere. They don't get that. Its just "Heres a new Kirby that looks the same as the last one. That's like getting a new Zelda, right? So now we have the fans covered for a few months. Lets have a cardboard party and play some tennis for a few months!"

As they should. Gaming first devices do not live in some magical bubble where other products don't exsist. Consoles and Handhelds need to offer the same depth as any product, or they will cease to exsist in the long run. Hopefully they will be opening it up to more apps, and expanding the functionallity, so it can compete other tablets and set top boxes. If they do it right a Kid with a Switch shouldn't need an Amazon Fire TV or an iPad, because Switch should fulfil both roles.

That is probably wishful thinking though. There idea of reaching for the casual audience will probably be piles of shovelware, and more LABO nonsense.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
As they should. Gaming first devices do not live in some magical bubble where other products don't exsist. Consoles and Handhelds need to offer the same depth as any product, or they will cease to exsist in the long run. Hopefully they will be opening it up to more apps, and expanding the functionallity, so it can compete other tablets and set top boxes. If they do it right a Kid with a Switch shouldn't need an Amazon Fire TV or an iPad, because Switch should fulfil both roles.

That is probably wishful thinking though. There idea of reaching for the casual audience will probably be piles of shovelware, and more LABO nonsense.

That is their problem. They are so busy trying to appeal to everyone that they cant focus on anyone.

KLXVER said:
Ljink96 said:

Kimishima didn't say "We're halting all development of Smash Bros, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Zeldas Sequel, etc. To focus on Wii Sports Switch". Why the backlash over such a vague comment? Please fill me in so maybe I can see your point because as of now your point hold no merit.

Why do they feel like they have to appeal to everyone in the world? If people don't like video games, then let them. Look at the best selling games on the Switch and WiiU. Great games for both longtime gamers and newcomers. If they keep focusing on that, then they will be fine, but they always need to try and create the next craze. It worked with the Wii because of Wii Sports and the simplicity of the Wiimote. 

They marketed the Switch for young adults, gave us great games, made a killing and now they want to focus on something else? Why? Why the hell isn't that good enough? Now many of us have to wait months and months for Nintendo to try and get people who don't want it to begin with. Its annoying. I have bought like 3 games for the Switch this year and all 3 are older indie games... 

While they keep pursuing the people who don't care, the people who got the Switch in 2017 are starting to go elsewhere. They don't get that. Its just "Heres a new Kirby that looks the same as the last one. That's like getting a new Zelda, right? So now we have the fans covered for a few months. Lets have a cardboard party and play some tennis for a few months!"

Again...how many times do I have to say this. We don't know the extent of what this will entail. Nintendo is focusing on those games that sold on Wii U and Switch, what are you on about? Did you not recall the list of games I listed coming to Switch off the top of my head? The software is coming, Nintendo knows that's the core of their business, they've admitted that several times and it shows. 

The Switch is still being marketed to young adults...so...again, don't know where you're going that. Things like this didn't start development after they saw the success of Switch, these ideas were most likely in development alongside the Switch. So they're not "focusing" on something else as you explain it, they're still developing the software they're known for. I don't know what you're looking for here. We're still getting all the software we got on Wii U...and more. Switch software sales are about to surpass Wii U software sales already and the bulk of that comes from Nintendo's own software. 

Focusing on one market for any game company is not good enough. It's silly to think that way. Be satisfied only with your hardcore fans. That's dumb. You want to entice new customers to your device, business, etc. If you become so self centered and entitled, it ruins the community as a whole. We're not "Waiting months and months" for new games because of Nintendo's will to expand to other demographics. We're waiting because good games take time to make. PS4 and Xbone didn't have anywhere near the quality of titles that Switch has gotten in its first year, let that stand for something

And well, that's your choice for buying 3 indie games among Bayonetta, Kirby, DKC: TF, etc. Other people obviously are buying those games. And that's okay because maybe those games appeal to somebody else and doesn't appeal to you...that happens...sometimes... . And again...we don't work at Nintendo, we don't know their software development timelines or if they're setting aside games to work on games for those who haven't played in some time. If anything, they are well staffed to focus on all of said software at once. I don't think you quite understand that. Nintendo is a huge company with many branching subsidiaries and other 1st party studios...we're going to get core games from them. The games I've mentioned earlier. 

Nintendo keeps pursuing gamers of all walks of life because they do care about the joy of a good game. They may not hit the mark all the time but their intentions are good. Switch owners in 2017 aren't already going "elsewhere" what are you talking about? Switch sales are only increasing, software sales are increasing, Nintendo profits are increasing, revenues are increasing... Switch is growing. I think that Nintendo does get it, as a company who has been making some of the best 1st party exclusives for decades, I think they understand it better than anyone else. You want games to come out so fast but that's not ideal, it's not practical, and it's not sustainable. It takes time to make good software, which is why it took a couple of years before PS4 and Xbox One even began to get new, well done software. While arguably it took Switch very little time to do that. 

It takes time to make a new Zelda, so of course you need smaller games to fill the gaps. That's what a smart game developer would do. And it's working to Nintendo's plan. Tons of games are released on the eshop each month and act as stop gaps for Nintendo's bigger titles. This allows for indie titles to sell as well as 3rd party software apart from Nintendo's 1st party games. You have to make a release schedule that makes sense, you can't just say "Oh, I want all the best AAA Nintendo games released in 2 months", that's silly. Let Nintendo do their job, if they aren't doing their job well, the market will be sure to let them know. A few disgruntled consumers aren't going to change their course of development. Unlike Nintendo's competitors they try to branch out and try different things, and of course it doesn't always work out but fortune favors the bold and that's been Nintendo's mantra since the Famicom days where then president Yamauchi threw all their funds into the Famicom, not knowing if it would be a success or not. This is Nintendo's DNA, what makes them who they are. And sometimes we suffer for it and should be concerned, however the era of Switch is not really an era of Nintendo that I'd be concerned about.

tl:dr: Quit overreacting, good software takes time to make, Nintendo is more than capable of developing all types of software simultaneously and appealing to different demographics.

It looks like they want to expand their player base, not abandon the existing one.