Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If you were in Nintendo, how much would you invest in Metroid Prime 4 ?

How much would you invest in Metroid Prime 4 if you were in Nintendo ?

20 milions or less 26 31.71%

21-40 milions 26 31.71%

41-60 milions 8 9.76%

61-80 milions 6 7.32%

81-100 milions 1 1.22%

Over 100 milions ! 10 12.20%

Nothing, cancel the game ... 5 6.10%

Total:82

This is Metroid's time to shine; with so many franchises selling better than ever before on the Switch, this is Nintendo's chance to make it a premiere series.

But for that to happen, they need to go all in, and give it the same kind of spared-no-expense treatment that games like BOTW and Odyssey benefited from.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

The equivalent amount to make it profit after selling at least a million copies.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

IkePoR said:
Typically, I'd agree with 20m. But I think there's a chance they want to try and push Metroid to the forefront of their lineup; a more adult looking game for a more adult oriented Nintendo - so something like 50m.

I can understand your point but budget and maturity are nut necessarily linked.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

20 million or less. They don't have to go for next gen graphics, like Sony and MS do.

Lol, 20 milions or less is lowest option!?
OP probably dont know that most likly even Zelda BotW had budget of 20 milions or less.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
OP probably dont know that most likly even Zelda BotW had budget of 20 milions or less.

No.... BOTW had a much larger budget than $20m

Here's what Miyamoto said in June 2016:

"Breath of the Wild has over 100 staff, and over 300 people in the credits, spending over 5 years. Our current efforts will be helpful in the next production. The costs will be recovered by selling in large volumes, passing 2 million sales."

If we assume that Nintendo only gets $40 profit after shipping/retailer fees that's still $80m to break even.

And the 2m sales to break even may have even increased over the next 9 months until the game released.

BOTW budget was probably between $75-90m

LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Basically however much it takes to make it great, it should be a big bag of cash, a blank check within reason to be a 90%+ rated game. Budget should never be mentioned if the game fails to meet players expectations basically imo.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

garretslarrity said:
Let me start by saying I disagree with the calculations in the OP. There's no way Breath of the Wild's budget was $60M, let alone up to $96M. I'd say it was $40M max, but possibly even closer to $20M. So I expect Metroid's budget to be less than $20M.

It was Nintendo's most ambitious project so far. A big open world with a new 3D-engine and hundreds of developers involved for years... plus many non-developers (quality control, voice actors..). Their wages alone were probably already more than 30 million dollars.

Plus wage labor costs, costs for their computers, maintaining costs of the builings they used, etcetera...

I have no problems believing that the total costs without marketing were around $60M or even higher.

And it paid off. Not every Nintendo game needs that kind of budget, but I hope at least one prestige project per year gets $40M - $60M budget.

If you reason like that they should have kept the series dead to begin with.
Now they have the biggest chance to make the IP grow in popularity, it should get an adequate budget

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

No.... BOTW had a much larger budget than $20m

Here's what Miyamoto said in June 2016:

"Breath of the Wild has over 100 staff, and over 300 people in the credits, spending over 5 years. Our current efforts will be helpful in the next production. The costs will be recovered by selling in large volumes, passing 2 million sales."

If we assume that Nintendo only gets $40 profit after shipping/retailer fees that's still $80m to break even.

And the 2m sales to break even may have even increased over the next 9 months until the game released.

BOTW budget was probably between $75-90m

Yeah you are right, but again, Zelda BotW is game that was 5 years in development and in one point there were more than 300 people working on Zelda game, and Zelda BotW had huge marekting push, I mean we even had hole E3 around Zelda BotW. I dont think that any other Nintendo game is coming even close with budget to Zelda BotW.