By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One is the best console if you don't care about exclusive new games - The Verge

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Xen said:

Yes, it plays X360 and original Xbox games, all of them! Except... it doesn't. 

The PS4 library, even on its own, eclipses what the XBO can offer with the limited amount of bc titles: and the sales show that very clearly. Also, gotta love the logic of "SoTC gets praise on PS4, PS4 doesn't have anything else", at the same time as "I will get a XBO to play Xbox 360 games I have not played prior". That is rock solid logic indeed - especially when one can get a cheap X360 which plays a lot more Xbox BC titles than the XBO does, and has its own library to boot.

It is "rock solid logic".  Older generations have better a better game library.  That is why PS4 kind of sucks. 

And getting a XB1 is not really about price so much as simplicity and features.  One console that plays everything would be the ideal.  One console that plays 3 generations worth of games is pretty good, especially when it upscales old games.

But... the thing is... it doesn't play anything near to "everything".

Around the Network

PS fans (which also includes me) it's okay for people to feel differently than you. As long as you're enjoying your console, that's all that matters.

Me? I bought a PS4 in 2014. A few months later I bought an Xbox One. I currently have a whopping FIVE (okay, four. I gave one to my cousin) Xbones and two PS4s (including a Pro with a PSVR). My personal preference is XBO but that's just me. No need to justify. Let XBO players be happy. On paper, you guys have every advantage. Be satisfied with that.

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:

PS fans (which also includes me) it's okay for people to feel differently than you. As long as you're enjoying your console, that's all that matters.

Me? I bought a PS4 in 2014. A few months later I bought an Xbox One. I currently have a whopping FIVE (okay, four. I gave one to my cousin) Xbones and two PS4s (including a Pro with a PSVR). My personal preference is XBO but that's just me. No need to justify. Let XBO players be happy. On paper, you guys have every advantage. Be satisfied with that.

Could you link the video with the 5 Xbox Ones? I want to watch it again.

⚠️

An eye on this, I’ll keep...

VGPolyglot said:
d21lewis said:

https://youtu.be/ndU_TV4bX28

I gave my oldest one to my cousin. He quit gaming before the PS2 released. I was hoping we could play together like old times but he just isn't a gamer anymore. 

Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network
Xen said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It is "rock solid logic".  Older generations have better a better game library.  That is why PS4 kind of sucks. 

And getting a XB1 is not really about price so much as simplicity and features.  One console that plays everything would be the ideal.  One console that plays 3 generations worth of games is pretty good, especially when it upscales old games.

I am expecting them to expand the BC library.  If they don't then I'll probably just get a XBox360.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
jardesonbarbosa said:

I love the trend of people trying to justify their Xbox One X purchases. Yes, there are no exclusive games. Yes, God of War, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted 4, Mario Kart 8 and most of the critically aclaimed games released in the last couple of years? You can't play that on Xbox One, but you can play Red Dead Redemption in 4K!!!!1

I don't want to be a hater, but this makes absolutely no sense. What's the point of having the best HARDWARE if you severely lacking in the software?

It's not severely lacking in software. Many of the marquee "AAA" games are available on both PS4 and XOne. Grand Theft Auto, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Call of Duty, Madden, Battlefront, Battlefield, Shadow of Mordor, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, etc. PS4 has more noteworthy exclusive games, sure, but let's not pretend the Xbox ecosystem is barren.

And maybe people really want to play those high-profile games in 4K, and maybe they like having three generations of Xbox titles playable on one platform.

I just think we should be a little more accommodating to folks who genuinely prefer Xbox. Being in a minority doesn't make them wrong.

But those games are also on PS4. That's the question. PS4 has all of those games and more. And it will always have more, because for some reason some third party developers prefer PS4 and because Sony has more studios. I think it's fair that some people want to stick with the Xbox One for the "best version" of those high profile third party games and games from years ago, but why pretend the Xbox One is the best console when it all comes down to games at the end of the day and there are some experiences you just can't have with Xbox? I just want them to start making amazing games and stop reliying on EA and Activision, because I don't want EA and Activision anymore, not even for free.

d21lewis said:
VGPolyglot said:

https://youtu.be/ndU_TV4bX28

I gave my oldest one to my cousin. He quit gaming before the PS2 released. I was hoping we could play together like old times but he just isn't a gamer anymore. 

Well, I guess it's time to take it back, and buy another Xbox One for good measure!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Xen said:

I am expecting them to expand the BC library.  If they don't then I'll probably just get a XBox360.

I bet they will expand it indeed, but I wouldn't expect it to encompass the sleeper hits and the more niche games, exactly the things I like my X360 for (which I only got last year...).

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I actually agree. Almost everything is better on Xbox (compared to PS4) except the most important thing: the games.

The UI is better, the controller is better, the online subscription package is better, the BC is far better. But games trump all, and that's why Xbox One is inferior to PS4.

UI and controller is very subjective and I wholeheartedly disagree. The X1 UI terribly cluttered and the X1 controller just feels cheap on the buttons and triggers and has way lesss functionality.

Tbh the only thing that XBox IS better at is really BC.