Forums - Gaming Discussion - The defining factor to discerning and understanding Bloodbornes story is binary.

I am a..

Cosmic horror fan. Understood BB's story. 6 66.67%
 
Not a cosmic horror fan. ... 1 11.11%
 
Cosmic horror fan. Didn't... 0 0.00%
 
Not a cosmic horror fan. ... 2 22.22%
 
I had someone explain the story to me. 0 0.00%
 
Other/comments/middle america... 0 0.00%
 
Total:9

I finally understand why there is such a controversy over bloodbornes story. Either you've read Cosmic horror prior to playing Bloodborne, Particularly HPL's Chtulhu mythos or something that has taken inspiration from the work.

 

Or..

 

You haven't.

 

After reflecting on BB's story and trying to pinpoint where it picked up for me for Hiku in their thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=235744&page=1#28 I realized everything about the story that and my love for it relies on me having a love for Cosmic horror prior to playing the game. I have to wonder is it even possible to discern Bloodbornes narrative if you aren't familiar with Lovecraft lore and the terminology...

So my question and the point of this thread is to ask you, did you discern bloodbornes story with or without prior cosmic horror knowledge or at all?

Lets poll this. 



 

China Numba wan!!

Around the Network

Haven't read Lovecraft before but I understand BB. Though the game has made me want to pick up the books.



Bloodborne dun fucked it up in the story department as far as I am concerned: I have not read the aforementioned novels, but I should not need to: Demon's Souls and Dark Souls presented an engaging story without any prior knowledge of anything, Bloodborne fails to do so for me.

I have finished the game, but doubt that I'll be returning to it upon - if, I ever read those works.



Xen said:
Bloodborne dun fucked it up in the story department as far as I am concerned: I have not read the aforementioned novels, but I should not need to: Demon's Souls and Dark Souls presented an engaging story without any prior knowledge of anything, Bloodborne fails to do so for me.

I have finished the game, but doubt that I'll be returning to it upon - if, I ever read those works.

See I am the opposite.  I invested heavily into beaying and learning the mythos surrounding Bloodborne.  Hell I beat the game 7 times connecting the dots.  However, I have NEVER read any of the fiction novels that inspired it.

 

I will say this though, I was so captivated by the depth of the plot, that I did do a little research towards lovecraft after the fact.  I did not need to do that to understand everything, but it did deepen my overall understanding of it all.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

In the end it just not matter that much, even if you are clueless after finishing the game it's still so fucking worth it xD



Around the Network

I would say that familiarity with Berserk would also be a big plus to more closely relate to the story in Bloodborne.

In my case Bloodborne was my introduction to some of HPL mythos. Ever since finishing it I was curious to get some audiobooks and definitely started appreciating more the cosmic horror genre.

So I guess it can go both ways.



setsunatenshi said:
I would say that familiarity with Berserk would also be a big plus to more closely relate to the story in Bloodborne.

In my case Bloodborne was my introduction to some of HPL mythos. Ever since finishing it I was curious to get some audiobooks and definitely started appreciating more the cosmic horror genre.

So I guess it can go both ways.

I can see how bloodborne would spark that llve, yeah. Didn't think of it working im the other direction tbh, I guess I'm fixating on the terminology more than anything on reflection yet I forget people could still pick up the story through extra attentiveness without having the terms and imagery used evoke a wider understanding of lovecraft and Cosmic horror lore. It does seem a lot of people out there say BB  little or no story which is so wrong it pains, haha.



 

China Numba wan!!

BraLoD said:
In the end it just not matter that much, even if you are clueless after finishing the game it's still so fucking worth it xD

Indeed. Everyone can enjoy fireworks without having knowledge of how they work. 



 

China Numba wan!!

I haven't. 

But I understood a fair portion of the story without it, though far from all .



Xen said:
Bloodborne dun fucked it up in the story department as far as I am concerned: I have not read the aforementioned novels, but I should not need to: Demon's Souls and Dark Souls presented an engaging story without any prior knowledge of anything, Bloodborne fails to do so for me.

I have finished the game, but doubt that I'll be returning to it upon - if, I ever read those works.

Yet for me BB evoked a story and world greater than the others and did it with subtlety and awe. The thread though is not adressing whether it does or not though bit rather how much you benifet (or not) from a knowledge of cosmic horror lore when playing BB. 

Perhaps you're right though and their should have been more done to help fresh people into it, on the devs side but I can't think of anything that wouldn't detract from the awe of it all. 



 

China Numba wan!!