By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which company is going to win holidays in the US? EDIT: Poll added

Which company is going to sell the most hardware?

Sony 49 45.37%

Nintendo 56 51.85%

Microsoft 3 2.78%

Total:108

Sony has a marketing deal with objectively the biggest game releasing this year. RDR2 is going to be the most successful 3rd party deal this generation. Another big game from Sony is Spiderman releasing September 7th. Sony is ensuring this game will have long legs and mindshare during the holidays by releasing 2 movies in this universe alongside: Venom (13 Oct), Spiderverse (7 Dec).

Nintendo is dependent on Smash Bros, unannounced megatons (Pokemon?) and the possibility of Labo being successful. From 3rd parties a portable GTA V could also be very succesful.

Which company is going to dominate the holidays in your opinion? 

EDIT: I'm talking about hardware sales.

Last edited by PEEPer0nni - on 12 April 2018

Around the Network

I think it's too early to tell, but my bet is either Sony or Nintendo.

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Way too early to tell. E3 hasn't even happened yet and all 3 will definitely have some more games to reveal that will be released in Q3/Q4.

CGI-Quality said:
If Sony has the marketing to Black Ops IIII, I imagine that it'll be them. If Nintendo releases Smash, however, it'll throw a wrench in there.

Do you think BO4 is going to sell better than RDR2? And yeah, Smash is confirmed for 2018 and probably coming out in September along with the online service. 

Eh, I’d say let’s wait to predict this until after E3. Cause that’ll be when we know most of the holiday releases/plans/marketing rights etc.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Around the Network

Eh, no idea. Come back to me around the middle of June.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

My bet is on Switch. This is the year that the flood of games and word of mouth will begin paying off for Switch and PS4 is seeing a decline. PS4 numbers will still be high but not high enough to reach last year numbers or beat the next Switch increase. LABO is the wild card here. I’m curious if it will hit like Nintendo is marketing it to. Depends on if it can capture the curiosity of mainstream media, which is sometimes unpredictable. Going into the holdiay, Switch will have Smash, Switch will have Pokemon, Switch might have Animal Crossing, Switch will likely have a slew of 3rd party titles we have yet to see announced, this isn’t talking about Fire Emblem, Wolfenstein, Yoshi, or any other number of titles we know are coming. This will be the year the Switch becomes real to everyone.

Yes I know RDR2 and Spider-Man are going to be big, but keep in mind too that the price drops of last holiday really pushed the envelope on PS4 adoption. It’s more likely most people going to play these games already have a PS4. Now predicting how much each of those titles will sell is going to be fun too.

Last edited by zygote - on 11 April 2018

Well lets take a look at Q4 sales last year.

PS4-2.96 million
XBO-2.78 million
NSW-2.57 million

It was a very close and competitive holiday quarter last year and i expect it to be this year as well.

Overall i think Switch will be up YOY (1st) while PS4 (2nd) & XBO (3rd) will be slightly down.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

What exactly is the question being asked?
Platform software sales? 1st party dev/pub sales? Console sales?

I'd say let's wait until E3. We'll know all plans for the rest of the year from all 3 companies + third parties.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won