By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PlayStation 5 Is Still A Ways Off - Jason Schreier Kotaku

Tagged games:

So when PS5 will be announce

It will be coming on 2018 1 2.70%

I believe 2019 will be a perfect year 12 32.43%

Nah it's too early 2020 is the right time 19 51.35%

F**ck that i just get PS... 5 13.51%

Total:37

There there is hope that PS4 will beat PS2 in sales 😎

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Around the Network
Nymeria said:
My guess for now is October 2020 for NA and EU, with Spring 2021 for JP and Asia. System will be $400-450 range so whatever they can make at that time for that price and not lose much money at launch is about the power leap we will get from PS4 to PS5.

Well a new console in 2020 at the price of $400 or $450 will already be outdated by the tech that will be available in the market. So both console manufacturer have to find a sweet spot between GPU generation so that they can bake their own custom solution of future tech in the old outgoing tech.. thats the only way they can hit $400. So by 2020 we will be well into Zen/navi midlife and old architecture will be really old with no new tech on horizon the console will be stuck with navi with no custom solution.. by targeting the launch by 2019 sony can use much cheaper zen/vega and as rumored they can bake in some custom navi feature. until the PS5 pro comes out with full navi gpu by 2021 to compete against xbox two! 

well this just a wishful thinking.

taus90 said:
Nymeria said:
My guess for now is October 2020 for NA and EU, with Spring 2021 for JP and Asia. System will be $400-450 range so whatever they can make at that time for that price and not lose much money at launch is about the power leap we will get from PS4 to PS5.

Well a new console in 2020 at the price of $400 or $450 will already be outdated by the tech that will be available in the market. So both console manufacturer have to find a sweet spot between GPU generation so that they can bake their own custom solution of future tech in the old outgoing tech.. thats the only way they can hit $400. So by 2020 we will be well into Zen/navi midlife and old architecture will be really old with no new tech on horizon the console will be stuck with navi with no custom solution.. by targeting the launch by 2019 sony can use much cheaper zen/vega and as rumored they can bake in some custom navi feature. until the PS5 pro comes out with full navi gpu by 2021 to compete against xbox two! 

well this just a wishful thinking.

I remember hearing the PS4 was outdated the instant it was released.  Yet, it has sold and is selling massively and making Sony a ton of money.  I don't think they will change strategy for PS5 making it very powerful or $500+ learning lessons from PS3 and PS4.

Tmfwang said:
There there is hope that PS4 will beat PS2 in sales 😎

I think it's already beating it as far as I'm aware. The question is, how long PS4's going to be on the market? PS2 was discontinued after 13 years!

I'm still calling late 2019, but we shall see.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
JRPGfan said:

For a twice as powerfull console atleast.. for 400$.
it would make MS look bad imo, there wouldnt be talk about a lacklustre upgrade, it would be all about "why the hell did I get a xbox one x?".

If in 2019 Sony releases a PS5 thats like ~12 Tflops and with a Ryzen CPU, that would be bad for xbox.

But Sony will take massive losses to do that. A 12TF console with a Ryzen CPU and at least 16GB RAM for those Sweet 4k texturez will not be cheap to make. Q4 2020 it might be possible to break even.

No they wouldn't. MAYBE ~$50 or so. But, that's Sony's strategy for all of their HW, take a small loss and make up for it in SW sales. Remember, the prices you see online for components has the profit margin for 2-3 companies priced in. If you get a card from 3rd party manufacturer, for example, that price includes not only the profit that that 3rd party manufacturer wishes to see, but also the profit AMD wants to see from the chip AND the profit the store receives. Sony buys directly from AMD, which drops the price incredibly. Manufacturers also give nice discounts when companies buy in mass bulk. And considering Some is going to need 10s of millions of these things, they can get chips for an even lower price. 

I really wouldn't mind a 2020 release since I'm in no rush to jump to the next console generation at this point. The PS4 still feels like it has a lot of momentum left, and there are a lot of big games still to come.

HollyGamer said:

1. The tech is not quiet mature, If SONY going to choose affordable tech

Okay. Lets clear up some misconceptions.

Next-Gen tech is mature, it's not overtly difficult to beat the Xbox One/Playstation 4 in regards to GPU capabilities, modern GPU's make the Xbox One/Playstation 4 look positively anemic.

HollyGamer said:

AMD is the number one choice and  Ryzen  is just barely out on the market, and the mobile version also need to have several configuration and tweek, even they will have a new configuration and model next year, probably Sony will still be waiting for more model to come and wait for the price to be drop. SONY definitely are going to use a mobile version of Ryzen APU and try to get as affordable as much, but better in performance in ratio compared to the old jaguar.

Ryzen has been on the market for over a year.
Mobile Ryzen is using the Zen+ core.

Not even an excuse at this point when AMD is developing it's next Ryzen core.

Whether Sony will opt for an APU really depends on economics, if the chip is going to be rather monolithic, then they might take a thread ripper approach and have multiple chips on the same package as it would reduce costs.

HollyGamer said:

That's why Semi Accurate mentioned " Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi. " They mentioned “Not specifically using NAVI" it's mean they for now still using whatever available GPU in the market that can be used for SDK . I bet it's modification of Vega architecture GPU.

Graphics Core Next is extremely modular all things considered.
You can have a Graphics Core Next 1.0 based GPU with Navi features tacked on... This is the same approach Microsoft and Sony took with their consoles.

That doesn't make it a new architecture, it's still Graphics Core Next, it's just a variant.

HollyGamer said:

The price for the mentioned spec will be monstrous for gaming consoles , Ryzen is still very expensive , even it's considered low compare to intel but to include a medium to high  end GPU will be very expensive not include RAM, cooling system, PSU, controller ,etc. 

Pretty sure I read that AMD has a 61% profit margin on it's Ryzen CPU's, some a little more than that, some a little lower, these semi-custom console chips have a different pricing structure and thus shouldn't be compared to what is on the PC.

But if you think the consoles will get an identical CPU found on the PC/Desktop, then you are kidding yourself, that has never happened in the world of consoles, there is always changes to things like buses, caches and so on.
Even the Original Xbox with it's x86 processor had cutbacks to things like cache in order to cost reduce.

HollyGamer said:

2.  PS4 Pro legacy, Like I said a while ago. PS4 pro has just been release, even if some people said is not on par with its competitor, PS4 is still doing well on the market, and it's still have potential to grow on sales.

It is not on par with the Xbox One X.
We are entering the second year of the Pro being on the market though.

HollyGamer said:

SONY are waiting for its competitor first to react , their direct competitor are Microsoft , because SONY are in good position with their sales, even thou Nintendo surpassed their sales on Japan , it's not affecting their current base sales around the world.

Evidence?

taus90 said:

like just buy one game and it will automatically have better fidelity on PS5 cause of x86 architecture, like PC.

Uh. No.
The PC gets away with it because it has a plethora of graphics options exposed to the user.
The only Playstation 4 games that will have better fidelity on the Playstation 5 are ones that will be patched... And in the case of games with a dynamic resolution employed... Will run at maximum resolution.

You get what you are given on consoles, that's life.

JRPGfan said:

People that just bought a Xbox One X (which basically launched 2018 (late 2017)) would feel burned, if Playstation 5 / Xbox Two launch in 2019.

Would they really though?

VAMatt said:

Agreed.  The current gen has at least 2-3 more good years in it.  

Sooner it ends the better though.

Aura7541 said:
Qwark said:

For what a slightly more powerful X1X for $400. Talk about a lacklustre upgrade.

The shift from Jaguar to Zen is already a big upgrade. And this doesn't take other factors into account such as a larger RAM pool and higher memory bandwidth. The issue is more of whether a 7nm Zen/Navi APU will be ready for late 2019.

Well. If Microsoft/Sony wish to eat some costs, they could build their next gen chips on 12nm instead and quickly drop to 7nm when it's matured.

Still. AMD needs to get it's shit together, not having draw stream binning rasterization and Primitive shading (Available only if you access an API) is a big omission for Vega and forward architectures that I hope doesn't have a flow on effect to next gen.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

A 2020 launch makes sense in terms of allowing PS4 to have the spotlight as long as it can, but it also allows XB to potentially compete side by side once again like in 2013. Assuming XB has learned their lesson and has a much stronger launch than XB1, PS may very well want to get a head start with PS5.

Now if PS launches PS5 late 2019, they may lose some PS4 sales because of this, but may also just transfer some of those potential sales to PS5. This would lead me to believe that PS may give PS4 the 2019 holiday, and then announce PS5 early in 2020, say February, with a launch somewhere between then and E3. I would have to assume a late 2019 or early 2020 launch would mean a $450 or $500 price, with it dropping to $400 by holiday 2020 if necessary, to be competitive with the 'XB2' specs or price, if it launches then.

I really think PS should drop Pro and sell a Pro II (PS4k) and end up slightly above XB1X specs. Whether PS just uses the Pro hardware now and shrinks it from 16nm to 12nm but increases the clocks to do it, or uses newer compatible hardware, as long as the price can be $400 to $500, it should sell well enough. It would also give them some indication of how a PS console would sell at a higher price point than $400. Better to find out if it's not going to work now while PS4 is doing so well, then to find out at the PS5 launch.

Another PS4 upgrade soon, would allow PS to sit back and see what XB does. If they decide to launch 'XB2' late 2020, PS should be able to announce PS5 before 'XB2' launches and let gamers know they only have to wait 3 to 6 months for PS5, and that should work out fine for them. Having to wait an entire year would be more risky. If XB waited the full 4 years and went with a late 2021 launch, which would be the latest they would wait, PS could have PS5 ready to launch early 2021 regardless, and if they decide to get it out before "XB2' then great, and if not, just keep quiet and launch it late 2021 as well.

If PS5 were to really launch late 2018, I could only guess that PS has planned on a 5 year gen with no upgrades. There is so much new tech that is here now, just slightly too expensive still, that dragging PS5 and PS5 Pro out from 2018 to 2024, would seem like a misstep to me.

I know some say it will come early cause PS4 come early, but that was necessary due to the start the PS3 had.

There is no reason for PS5 to come out in 2018 as PS4 is selling so strongly. Games sell consoles not 4K native resolution lol,