By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PlayStation 5 Is Still A Ways Off - Jason Schreier Kotaku

Tagged games:

So when PS5 will be announce

It will be coming on 2018 1 2.70%

I believe 2019 will be a perfect year 12 32.43%

Nah it's too early 2020 is the right time 19 51.35%

F**ck that i just get PS... 5 13.51%

Total:37

Well of course its not coming this year or even next year. I think I've been singing that tune like a broken record for a while. There are-just too many factors each of which on their own oretty much gaurantees an earliest 2020 release.

Around the Network

Good. 2018 was a laughable rumour. Imo 2019 was too. Holiday 2020 makes sense or anytime in 2021 either.

VAMatt said:
StokedUp said:
GOOD, there’s plenty of life left in the PS4. People are far to wanty wanty nowadays.

Agreed.  The current gen has at least 2-3 more good years in it.  

More than 2-3 "good" years,... Playstation consoles usually dont just drop dead when a new gen launches.
But I suspect you ll get 2 years, 2020 seems to be the most likely date for a PS5 launch.

Qwark said:
JRPGfan said:

2019 is if they want to punish Xbox...

People that just bought a Xbox One X (which basically launched 2018 (late 2017)) would feel burned, if Playstation 5 / Xbox Two launch in 2019.

2020 is if they want to milk in the success & profits:
This could lead to 130-140m console sales down the line, and tons of money made off of this user base.

I think 2020 is more likely tbh.... but I wouldnt rule out a 2019 launch.

For what a slightly more powerful X1X for $400. Talk about a lacklustre upgrade.

For a twice as powerfull console atleast.. for 400$.
it would make MS look bad imo, there wouldnt be talk about a lacklustre upgrade, it would be all about "why the hell did I get a xbox one x?".

If in 2019 Sony releases a PS5 thats like ~12 Tflops and with a Ryzen CPU, that would be bad for xbox.

Qwark said:

For what a slightly more powerful X1X for $400. Talk about a lacklustre upgrade.

The shift from Jaguar to Zen is already a big upgrade. And this doesn't take other factors into account such as a larger RAM pool and higher memory bandwidth. The issue is more of whether a 7nm Zen/Navi APU will be ready for late 2019.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Qwark said:

For a twice as powerfull console atleast.. for 400$.
it would make MS look bad imo, there wouldnt be talk about a lacklustre upgrade, it would be all about "why the hell did I get a xbox one x?".

If in 2019 Sony releases a PS5 thats like ~12 Tflops and with a Ryzen CPU, that would be bad for xbox.

But Sony will take massive losses to do that. A 12TF console with a Ryzen CPU and at least 16GB RAM for those Sweet 4k texturez will not be cheap to make. Q4 2020 it might be possible to break even.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Aura7541 said:
Qwark said:

The shift from Jaguar to Zen is already a big upgrade. And this doesn't take other factors into account such as a larger RAM pool and higher memory bandwidth. The issue is more of whether a 7nm Zen/Navi APU will be ready for late 2019.

Probably not and especially not in the bulk demand for two new high spec consoles. If we want a decent upgrade from the X One X it will take at least till Q4 2020 if Sony wants to make profit on the hardware. Also Xbox can't release a new console in 2019 either or they will lose credibility for gamers who invested in a Xone X.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

twintail said:

The mistake wouldnt be the same. They are focusing on more user friendly architecture. They have marketing deals for the most important games atm. They have an online sub service that locks in many users into their ecosystem (hence why PS5 will have PS4 BC because they wouldnt want to start that again from scratch). They have the exclusives. Sure they can counter, but they have little need to.

... presuming that nothing would change apart from the raw power ... and that'd be exactly the same mistake. Apart from the blu-ray and more FLOPS, PS3 brought nothing new to the table. I mean, why would they? PS2 outsold both of its competitors combined almost 3.5:1! It was truly unprecedented domination, despite the fact that it wasn't the most powerful system of its generation. Yet just four years later, MS came up with cheaper system and excellent online service, where Nintendo went with motion controls. Both offered something different from "just more powah" and both turned up to be very successful, especially when compared to their previous systems.

Apart from MS (and probably Sony), no one knows what their plans are for the next gen system, but if they want to be competitive they need to come up with something really impressive. Just another, beefier XB1 won't cut it and I think they know that. And locking anyone in their ecosystem isn't as big in console world as people make it. MS's been "locking" users since 2002, so where all those people are now?

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 11 April 2018

We don't need new hardware yet. Late 2019 at the absolute earliest. The same people complaining about a drawn out 7th gen will complain about cross gen games between PS4 and PS5. The majority of PS4 games the first 12-18 months were cross gen barring a few exceptions. It wasn't really until 2015 that things started to transition proper to 8th gen only. Do we really need new hardware now if that will be the case again ?

My guess for now is October 2020 for NA and EU, with Spring 2021 for JP and Asia. System will be $400-450 range so whatever they can make at that time for that price and not lose much money at launch is about the power leap we will get from PS4 to PS5.