By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PlayStation 5 Is Still A Ways Off - Jason Schreier Kotaku

Tagged games:

So when PS5 will be announce

It will be coming on 2018 1 2.70%

I believe 2019 will be a perfect year 12 32.43%

Nah it's too early 2020 is the right time 19 51.35%

F**ck that i just get PS... 5 13.51%

Total:37
HollyGamer said:
Do you realize each of GCN architecture have their own number and code , GCN 5 is what Vega are using now, it might have some similarities, but as far as i know we haven't got  any improvement since Nvidia and Radeon invent CUDA cores and GCN.

I would never have guessed. You are just essentially rehashing my prior statement though.
And yes. There has been improvements.

HollyGamer said:
Agree that's why i mentioned it on the OP.  What they have now for SDK are probably Vega

"Probably" is not something I can adhere to.
It is likely a semi-custom GCN base with forward-like navi features.
Maybe just maybe... AMD has sorted out their Primitive Shaders and Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer in Navi? :P

Graphics Core Next is modular remember... AMD can take a Graphics Core Next layout and just update certain blocks on the chip whilst leaving the rest identical.

HollyGamer said:
Reducing the cost by making it it more smaller

There is more to chip costs than just size.
Patterning, Leakage, Spare-Area... You name it.

And contrary to popular belief... Just shrinking a chip doesn't always mean it will be cheaper to produce, sometimes the contrary can remain true.

HollyGamer said:
Try to look at the AMD GPU road map, it clearly said "scalability " in Navi

"Availability" is one of the design principles of GCN to begin with.

HollyGamer said:
That's obvious. Jaguar that used on PS4 and Xbox One are clearly not the whole chip they cut a corner to make it simple and reducing cost and TDP.

Not only that... But in the consoles things like power delivery, power states, video decode/encode, caches, memory controllers and various other bits and pieces can be consolidated/reduced.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Pemalite said: 

I would never have guessed. You are just essentially rehashing my prior statement though.
And yes. There has been improvements.

Then you  agree ,Vega and Navi are different. Even thou we know that they are using a similar GCN but have different quality and optimization, let alone die size. 

Pemalite said: 

"Probably" is not something I can adhere to.
It is likely a semi-custom GCN base with forward-like navi features.
Maybe just maybe... AMD has sorted out their Primitive Shaders and Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer in Navi? :P

Graphics Core Next is modular remember... AMD can take a Graphics Core Next layout and just update certain blocks on the chip whilst leaving the rest identical.

They could but what for, the primary function of early SDK is to test the possibility outcome of performance close to the target. If they tried to build a modified vega costume then it will take times  just for the prototype. I bet they prefer using pure Vega chip for now. 

That's possible if SONY in hurry and run with time, but there is no indication that SONY want to release PS5 soon. They prefer waiting for the next GCN architecture to come.

Pemalite said:

There is more to chip costs than just size.
Patterning, Leakage, Spare-Area... You name it.

And contrary to popular belief... Just shrinking a chip doesn't always mean it will be cheaper to produce, sometimes the contrary can remain true.

agree

But for now it still another decade to worry for that, probably after we achieved 5 nm? 

Pemalite said:

"Availability" is one of the design principles of GCN to begin with.

No , I am talking about the benefit of GCN that they mentioned in the GPU road map, which is scalability  

Pemalite said:

Not only that... But in the consoles things like power delivery, power states, video decode/encode, caches, memory controllers and various other bits and pieces can be consolidated/reduced.

Agree you name it, i just simplified it 

I agree with OP and others, 2020 will most probably be the first year when the most important factors will be favourable for PS5 launch.
About PS4 Pro being less powerful than XBOneX, this doesn't look like it's affecting sales negatively, PS4 as the whole brand still outsells XBOne 2:1 or more, but should it become necessary, a more powerful PS4 Pro 2 could be made to fill the high end in the last PS4 years without rushing PS5.
Launching early to replace a very successful product doesn't look like a sound strategy, the last successor to a market leader that was launched earlier than competitors was Wii U, just to say...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

HollyGamer said:
They could but what for, the primary function of early SDK is to test the possibility outcome of performance close to the target. If they tried to build a modified vega costume then it will take times  just for the prototype. I bet they prefer using pure Vega chip for now.

Not just performance. But features.

HollyGamer said:

That's possible if SONY in hurry and run with time, but there is no indication that SONY want to release PS5 soon. They prefer waiting for the next GCN architecture to come.

Vega or Navi isn't next gen though.

HollyGamer said:

Then you  agree ,Vega and Navi are different. Even thou we know that they are using a similar GCN but have different quality and optimization, let alone die size.

They have allot that is going to be the same.

HollyGamer said:

But for now it still another decade to worry for that, probably after we achieved 5 nm?

It's an issue now. Hence threadripper.

HollyGamer said:
No , I am talking about the benefit of GCN that they mentioned in the GPU road map, which is scalability 

Spelling error. I of course meant scalability not availability.
AMD builds it's GPU in blocks based on library's that it scales upwards and downwards. It's been a design emphasis for years.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Good we can get a couple more years out of it. I feel like I still just bought mine.

Around the Network

It's always funny the way people vote with their own motives instead of objectively. Human psychology.

HandofPrometheus said:
Good we can get a couple more years out of it. I feel like I still just bought mine.

Good for you, bad for people who bought their console FIVE YEARS AGO this fall. PS4 is an old console.