By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PlayStation 5 Is Still A Ways Off - Jason Schreier Kotaku

Tagged games:

So when PS5 will be announce

It will be coming on 2018 1 2.70%

I believe 2019 will be a perfect year 12 32.43%

Nah it's too early 2020 is the right time 19 51.35%

F**ck that i just get PS... 5 13.51%

Total:37

Jason Schreier from Kotako have some info and opinion regarding the arcticle from semi accurate. It seems Jason agree with the leak but does not agree on the release date. The leak it self it's semi accurate (pun intended ) , He said the SDK are real but it's not the final Devkit, also having a couple of SDK it does not mean a release date is near, many developer had their SDK a way before the consoles releasing on the market.

" A recent online rumor got people buzzing about a possible 2018 release of PlayStation 5, but that’s probably not going to happen. In fact, from what we’ve heard, the next PlayStation is a ways away—it may not arrive until 2020.

Over the past month, I’ve spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony’s new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting. “On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward,” one person said. “At some point, Sony’s probably looked at every possible date. It’s all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware.” A surprise move by Microsoft or another competitor, for example, could trigger a change in plans.

Most of the developers I spoke to, via phone and email and text, said they had not heard anything about plans for a new PlayStation. Even employees at Sony’s first-party studios said they have not yet been briefed on the existence of a PlayStation 5. People across all the disciplines (design, art, engineering, etc.) at major studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond have told me that if there is information about the PS5 at their companies, they haven’t heard about it. (Those people said they haven’t heard about a new Xbox, either.)

In summary: There is information about the PlayStation 5 floating around at both first- and third-party companies, but it’s far more limited than it would be if the console’s release was imminent.

Last week, an article from a website called Semiaccurate alleged that a large number of PlayStation 5 development kits had gone out to game makers. The article also speculated that the console could be out by the end of 2018. This article is behind a paywall—“Pricing is $1,000 for a year’s worth of access”—but ResetEra rounded up some of the details. When I showed those details to one person familiar with Sony’s plans, they laughed. For the PlayStation 5 to be out this fall, they said, it would already be in manufacturing. (And if that was the case, it’d come as a big surprise to a lot of people who are making games for this fall and beyond.)

PlayStation 5 development kits are another question. A development kit is a proprietary piece of hardware that allows game-makers to build and optimize games for a specific console. It usually comes with proprietary software, too, such as a console’s operating system and other “debug” features that allow developers more access to the hardware than they’d have with a retail device. It’s possible to replicate a console’s development environment by using software on a computer, and these days, game engines like Unity and Unreal can facilitate that process, but in order to release games on the PlayStation, developers will ultimately need the tools and licenses provided by devkits. These development kits are especially useful for debugging and preparing for certification, the process that Sony uses to test and approve of new games.

But the term can be misleading. To say that “PS5 devkits” are out in the wild could mean several different things. “Super early devkits are often PCs with the CPU and GPU,” said a source familiar with Sony’s console development, referring to the processor and graphics card of the future machine. Early “development kits” might not resemble a PlayStation at all.

An early devkit “is a literal desktop tower—it doesn’t look like anything,” the source said. “First devkits are almost always that. They might have a custom motherboard or might literally be a PC. You want to get one or two of those out to the lead graphics programmer [of a studio] so they can see what’s possible, start planning what they can do in their game based on that. That’s early devkit stuff.”

As a result, before a new console is released, studios will typically work with multiple versions of development kits. One person who worked in a high role at a major game developer said that their company had received proper PS4 devkits, then code-named Orbis, about a year before the console launched in November 2013. Another person who worked for a major game studio said they were working with PCs dressed up as development kits around 18-24 months before the PS4 came out. The PlayStation 4, unlike its predecessor, was built with PC architecture, allowing more flexibility there

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-playstation-5-is-still-a-ways-off-18251

Yes i agree with this, I said many times, PS5 will not coming in 2019 let alone 2018, probably 2020 or 2021. The reason are:

1. The tech is not quiet mature, If SONY going to choose affordable tech, AMD is the number one choice and  Ryzen  is just barely out on the market, and the mobile version also need to have several configuration and tweek, even they will have a new configuration and model next year, probably Sony will still be waiting for more model to come and wait for the price to be drop. SONY definitely are going to use a mobile version of Ryzen APU and try to get as affordable as much, but better in performance in ratio compared to the old jaguar. 

Navi is still in development, AMD is not yet announce the official spec, but i am sure a big company like SONY or Microsoft already have the prototype, but i am sure it not included in the SDK (software development Kit ) , That's why Semi Accurate mentioned " Uses AMD's Navi as its base architecture, not specifically using Navi. " They mentioned “Not specifically using NAVI" it's mean they for now still using whatever available GPU in the market that can be used for SDK . I bet it's modification of Vega architecture GPU. 

The price for the mentioned spec will be monstrous for gaming consoles , Ryzen is still very expensive , even it's considered low compare to intel but to include a medium to high  end GPU will be very expensive not include RAM, cooling system, PSU, controller ,etc.

2.  PS4 Pro legacy, Like I said a while ago. PS4 pro has just been release, even if some people said is not on par with its competitor, PS4 is still doing well on the market, and it's still have potential to grow on sales.

3. Sales Potential of PS4. PS4 sales estimations are 76 million and it will be higher more then ever before in the 2019 to 2020 it's not even on the peak level yet. It still have a lot exclusives to come from first party and third party.   From price point PS4 scan still go down to 250 USD and PS4 pro cab still go down to 400 USD price point. Sony are not going to kill it with PS5 announcement. 

4. SONY are waiting for its competitor first to react , their direct competitor are Microsoft , because SONY are in good position with their sales, even thou Nintendo surpassed their sales on Japan , it's not affecting their current base sales around the world. 

So what do you think guys 

Around the Network

Jason Schreier is one the very few gaming journalists I know of who are actually genuinely credible, and well informed. If his sources say it's a ways off, it's probably a ways off.

Yeah I dont believe that.. months before the announcement of PS4 in 2012, sony did mention that they had no intention of announcing any hardware as they have just started to make profit on PS3 and would wait to see what their competitor does.. but bam few months later PS4 was announced in Feb 2013.

I have a feeling they will follow the same strategy as it proved successful to them, and also I dont think sony would like PS4 Pro to be inferior console to the competition for 3 to 4 years. Coz trust me disparity in games between OX and pro be get quiet evident in a years time, and sony knows this.

GOOD, there’s plenty of life left in the PS4. People are far to wanty wanty nowadays.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

twintail said:
taus90 said:

Yeah I dont believe that.. months before the announcement of PS4 in 2012, sony did mention that they had no intention of announcing any hardware as they have just started to make profit on PS3 and would wait to see what their competitor does.. but bam few months later PS4 was announced in Feb 2013.

I have a feeling they will follow the same strategy as it proved successful to them, and also I dont think sony would like PS4 Pro to be inferior console to the competition for 3 to 4 years. Coz trust me disparity in games between OX and pro be get quiet evident in a years time, and sony knows this.

Nah. Late 2019 maybe. 2020 definitely. Sony has little reason to go earlier and ppl aren't going to jump ship that quickly with PSN signups in affect etc.

Keep cultivating their consumer base. Ps5 with PS4 BC. And thy are basically set for next gen. 

I think its something sony would do.. like I said even during PS3, sony had started selling well and started making profit when they announced PS4, Also sony already has a huge base who are tied with huge digital library and games and i doubt they are going anywhere or migrating to xbox as long as PS5 has PS4 BC.

Its just that they are dismissing the rumors coz they dont want PS4 sales to plateau until the announcement. Also remember the year PS4 came out PS3 was getting big AAA titles in the same year, like the last of us, god of war A, GT6, Beyond two souls, ni no kuni, sly cooper etc, same thing happened with PS2.

So i wont be suprised if TloU2, Ghost of tsushima, death stranding and all the games baking at first world wide are forward compatible. like just buy one game and it will automatically have better fidelity on PS5 cause of x86 architecture, like PC.  and probably all of them will be launching in the ps5 launch window and some at launch like Switch and Zelda.

I know it will be stupid for Sony to announce, but sony is stupid enough to do it.. and by current electronic industry standard 7-8 year is a long time for a hardware refresh. Its time that console caught up with how tech is improving. 

Around the Network

Sony will probably release the PS5 as soon as 7nm manufacturing is cheap enough to use for a low margins product.
Unfortunately 5nm development apparently ran into some serious trouble, so it may take several years before that is a viable alternative/has good enough yields, meaning that during that time frame advancements in computational power/efficiency will likely slow to a crawl.

My guess is November 2020.

Maybe it´ll go like this:

PSX 2019 - a small tease of the next system
February/March 2020 - first details
E3 June 2020 - full reveal
Launch 5 months later in November

March 2020 would mark the 20th anniversary of the PS2 release in Japan, so why not release PS5 that month

2019 is if they want to punish Xbox...

People that just bought a Xbox One X (which basically launched 2018 (late 2017)) would feel burned, if Playstation 5 / Xbox Two launch in 2019.

2020 is if they want to milk in the success & profits:
This could lead to 130-140m console sales down the line, and tons of money made off of this user base.

I think 2020 is more likely tbh.... but I wouldnt rule out a 2019 launch.

melbye said:
March 2020 would mark the 20th anniversary of the PS2 release in Japan, so why not release PS5 that month

with PSX already established as a quite big event it could serve well as the "huge stage" to show off the next gen games on, so I think Q1 2020 is a possible release window for Sony

maybe that will cut quite a bit into holiday 2019 PS4 sales, but the early-in-the-year release date could make sure to have enough units ready for holiday 2020 and catapult it ahead of NextBox, which should release in the same year (but due to MS's E3 reliance it probably is locked into a holiday release window) and with similar specs