By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Can the Rape Culture in the West be Reduced with Guns?

the-pi-guy said:

No one likes rape.  Conservatives don't like it.  Liberals don't like it.  

The problem is that people don't understand how rape happens, or even exactly what it is. 

Why people don't know what rape is:

There's a lot of instances where it's really hard to say what consent is.  If two drunk people have sex together, legally they are not in their right mind.  Legally they might not be able to consent.  Does that mean that they raped each other?  Does that mean that one raped the other?  Just based off those details, it's hard to say what the right answer is.  Maybe one of them drunkenly shoved the other into having sex, maybe it was consensual because they both agreed to it.  

There's also instances where someone is manipulated into having sex.  Or even blackmailed or something else.  

There's also a misunderstanding about why people dress up the way they do.  "Well, she dressed up sexily because she was looking for sex.  So clearly it was consensual."  Even though that's not how that works.  

People don't always understand how rape happens: 

Rape isn't always a kidnapping and being shoved against the bed. Sometimes it's a lady sleeping at a lifelong friend's house, and they creep into their room and stick their penis inside them while they're sleeping.

Sometimes, it's done by the "nice guy" who is taking her home one night after drinking (but actually being drugged), and takes advantage of the situation.  

Sometimes, it's being manipulated by someone.

Do we have a rape culture because people don't care about it?  No, but we do because people make excuses about what it is.  

I feel like you started out strong, but then gave three clear examples of rape under the pretense of being part of the grey area of rape.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Around the Network

Guns already reduce crime in US

www.asiaone.com/asia/woman-india-raped-broad-daylight-onlookers-do-nothing-stop-it

That doesn't happen in United states because someone would shoot them or the police would stop it.
Some people don't realize how safe US is compared to other countries.

Evidently, firearms ownership does not reduce rape culture. West Korea has the most firearms of any nation on the planet, but condoning sexual assault is apparently acceptable 'locker-room talk', the upper echelons of Fox News (sic) reportedly had a pervasive culture of sexual harassment, and the so-called 'tough-on-crime Party of family values' is mired in a steady stream of sex scandals ranging from kidnapping to pedophilia.

Increasing gun ownership evidently didn't diminish that (West Korea's pro-gun crowd tend to be the most supportive of the parties listed above), but it would certainly increase the problems associated with gun ownership.

VGPolyglot said:
darkenergy said:
I'm pretty sure the US doesn't have a rape culture.

Read Jaicee's post.

Rape and sexual harassment aren't the same thing.

Proud to be a Californian.

o_O.Q said:
OhNoYouDont said:

I should not be surprised at the impotence of your sophistry and yet I am.

You demonstrate a fundamental misapprehension about what it means for something to be normalized as well as when causality is involved. Your examples that were an effort to produce support for your ideas instead promote your abject obliviousness to the topic and only further advances my point. A book depicting unsavory actions is no more causally linked to sexual exploitation as grand theft auto is to...well, grand theft auto. It's a resoundingly debunked idea and you would do well to take note.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180116131317.htm

As to study, again you fail miserably at understanding the point. (Ignoratio elenchi fallacy)

Were rape normalized as is your claim, then the language would make no impact. Because it did have an impact, we can safely state that is it not the case that rape is normalized.

Will you learn this time or continue defending an absurdity? Judging from our last encounter I expect more red herrings and perhaps another statement about technology.

As to technologies which do not produce waste, you've apparently never heard of green technologies which is quite frankly shocking. Do you go outside ever?

Anyway, the argument was never about technology and waste. It was specifically about your claim that waste is intrinsic to technology, which is fundamentally incorrect as any waste would be a byproduct and thus extrinsic. So again I see you fail to grasp knowledge most children comprehend. 

"It's a resoundingly debunked idea"

the notion that media has an impact on our behavior has been debunked? can you post some evidence of that?

"Were rape normalized as is your claim, then the language would make no impact."

behavior is what is being studied here... not language

the fact that they admit that they would coerce women into having sex with them is the problematic aspect of this study, not whether they responded differently based on the language

its kind of gross that you missed that point btw

"As to technologies which do not produce waste, you've apparently never heard of green technologies which is quite frankly shocking."

lmao green technologies do not produce waste?

ok narrow this down to one type and lets have a crack at this lol

"which is fundamentally incorrect as any waste would be a byproduct and thus extrinsic."

lmao we've been through this before and i can't believe that i apparently have to again

waste is a part of the essential nature of technology, meaning that its intrinsic to technology

maybe with green technology you'll finally be able to prove me wrong so name one type and we'll see what happens lol

Read my post again. You seem to have not read any of it or maybe didn't understand any of it. Either way, none of this warrants a reply.

Around the Network

The easy way for a psycho is resolving something with a bullet to the head. This is why I hate the politics section. Its a magnet for creeps, terrorists, psychos, fanatics and manipulators. They make a shitstorm of everything for their own ill ways. This a videogame site and should be that way. Most gamers are teenagers. Dont have any criteria yet. And we as adults couldnt tell what’s the less evil of everything. But I can tell you that there is people very ill. And you should avoid those type.Remember my words.

Gamer147 said:
Guns already reduce crime in US

www.asiaone.com/asia/woman-india-raped-broad-daylight-onlookers-do-nothing-stop-it

That doesn't happen in United states because someone would shoot them or the police would stop it.
Some people don't realize how safe US is compared to other countries.

Uhh, gang rape happens all the time in the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_the_United_States#Gang_rape

Including in public with dozens watching: http://www.thestar.com/amp/news/world/2009/10/29/girl_15_gang_raped_while_dozens_watched.html

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

OhNoYouDont said:
o_O.Q said:

"It's a resoundingly debunked idea"

the notion that media has an impact on our behavior has been debunked? can you post some evidence of that?

"Were rape normalized as is your claim, then the language would make no impact."

behavior is what is being studied here... not language

the fact that they admit that they would coerce women into having sex with them is the problematic aspect of this study, not whether they responded differently based on the language

its kind of gross that you missed that point btw

"As to technologies which do not produce waste, you've apparently never heard of green technologies which is quite frankly shocking."

lmao green technologies do not produce waste?

ok narrow this down to one type and lets have a crack at this lol

"which is fundamentally incorrect as any waste would be a byproduct and thus extrinsic."

lmao we've been through this before and i can't believe that i apparently have to again

waste is a part of the essential nature of technology, meaning that its intrinsic to technology

maybe with green technology you'll finally be able to prove me wrong so name one type and we'll see what happens lol

Read my post again. You seem to have not read any of it or maybe didn't understand any of it. Either way, none of this warrants a reply.

lol ok

The infamous Golden State killer/East Bay killer has finally been captured. During his reign of tyranny during the 1970s and 1980s, he raped 50 women and murdered 12 victims. Capturing and bringing cowardly  serial killers and rapists to justice will help to reduce crimes. Multiple crimes are committed by repeat offenders, taking those scum bags off the streets helps to reduce crimes.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 26 April 2018