By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch outsell the Wii?

with no 3rd party support no

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
LethalP said:

By "everyone and their moms" it means casual buyers. People who don't play games often or ever. This explains the surplus sales of the Wii and DS and games like Brain Age and Nintendogs. The reason PS consoles sell so well is because the core console market is solidified (about 170-180 million buyers). PS and Xbox substitute eachothers sales. What Nintendo has been doing since the Wii is totally seperate. It's not rocket science.

What’s a casual buyer?

A person who buys games I do not like. 

FATALITY said:

Note to self: Wii sold due to 3rd party titles.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Jumpin said:
LethalP said:

By "everyone and their moms" it means casual buyers. People who don't play games often or ever. This explains the surplus sales of the Wii and DS and games like Brain Age and Nintendogs. The reason PS consoles sell so well is because the core console market is solidified (about 170-180 million buyers). PS and Xbox substitute eachothers sales. What Nintendo has been doing since the Wii is totally seperate. It's not rocket science.

What’s a casual buyer? It doesn’t sound like an actual thing.

A person who doesn't play games outside of games like Brain Age or Nintendogs, or nowadays something like candy crush.

It's still too soon, but not impossible at all, because Switch is a handheld console. Considering past handheld performance of DS and 3DS. It cat hit 100m, yes. 3DS didn't, though, but I think Switch has far better chances.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

killeryoshis said:

FATALITY said:

Note to self: Wii sold due to 3rd party titles.

the switch has nothing on wii appeal

wii was a phenomenon with the casual crowd and motion controls 

what switch has?

exactly

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network

The Switch will become the best selling console of all time. However you won't be able to tell it by 2018's performance. 2018 will be mostly ports and a few new 1st party titles here and there. In 2019, there will be Pokemon and more 3rd party exclusives. That is when Switch will really start to take off.

I'm starting to thinks yes, and a year ago I use to think that it would only sell 25/35 millions units.

The Switch has 2 big advantages over the Wii.

-The selling point is not something that will worn off over time, people got over motion gaming, but the "handheld that can be use on TV like a home console" is something that people will still love in many many years.
-The Switch like all other Nintendo handhelds will get new models, the Wii didn't. It will help drive sales further.

So yeah, with the sales numbers we got over the year, the strong first and third party support, I don't see why the numbers would slow down.

LethalP said:
Jumpin said:

What’s a casual buyer? It doesn’t sound like an actual thing.

A person who doesn't play games outside of games like Brain Age or Nintendogs, or nowadays something like candy crush.

That accounts for under 0.5% of the Wii’s total software sales. Also, I don’t think more than a handful of Wii owners bought these sorts of games exclusively.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
LethalP said:

That accounts for under 0.5% of the Wii’s total software sales. Also, I don’t think more than a handful of Wii owners bought these sorts of games exclusively.

The Wii Series (Sports, Fit, Play, Party, Music) sold nearly 200 million units and made up over 20% of total software sales on Wii.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I'm usually pessimistic about sales, but I'll go and say yes, it will

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]