By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch outsell the Wii?

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Monster Hunter World proves you wrong, many people can be interested but not deem it worth buying a whole platform for the second MHW became available to a number of people it sold 7-8m. Pokemon is the same a console player may have an interest in it but not in portable platforms.

Not really. A single example wouldn't "prove" anything anyways, but Monster Hunter World wasn't really releasing on a platform it hadn't been on before anyway. It was on PS2. It's just become a more popular franchise as time has gone on and therefore the later entries have sold better than the earlier ones, pretty much the opposite of how Pokemon has gone so far.

PS2 was the last time it was release on consoles in the west yet the series has been available on portables for over a decade the series became popular with the PSP release of the PS2 game so it was popular back then, World is the first console release since and showed that people who didn't buy portables did have interest in them but not portable platforms the same applies to Pokemon as the main line games are all on portable.

Around the Network

i think it will.At first switch will not be able to keep with the initial pace of the wii,but instead will continue to sell well for a much longer period than the last.Wii was never a healthy platform,much less had the attach rates the NS has now.Hardware only exists to sell software after all,and i think this will push it above good ol wii.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

PS2 was the last time it was release on consoles in the west yet the series has been available on portables for over a decade the series became popular with the PSP release of the PS2 game so it was popular back then, World is the first console release since and showed that people who didn't buy portables did have interest in them but not portable platforms the same applies to Pokemon as the main line games are all on portable.

Wii and Wii U weren't consoles? Monster Hunter 3 released on both of those in the west.

Forgot about Tri but funny enough they prove my point as well as they sold well, Tri sold 1m in the west something only 2 of the portable games managed with one being 4U which capitalised on Tri's performance this further pushes my point thanks for the reminder.

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:

Thats really not the same thing at all.

Its not playing handheld games on a home console that people want, its a home console level Pokemon game that people want.

The GB/DS hardware lines were always like 2 generations behind home consoles of the time and while Switch isnt on par with PS4/XBO, it is a decent step up from PS3/360 and can produce console quality software.

Being able to play 8/16 bit handheld games on a TV in the late 90s/early 00s is just not comparable in any way.

This is what a Game Freak developed home console level game looks like...

So really they probably want a Pokemon game developed by someone other than Game Freak

Do you really expect a serious response to that?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

Forgot about Tri but funny enough they prove my point as well as they sold well, Tri sold 1m in the west something only 2 of the portable games managed with one being 4U which capitalised on Tri's performance this further pushes my point thanks for the reminder.

Your point that Pokemon will sell more Switches than it did 3DSs or Gameboys? How does the success of a franchise that has been steadily growing since the first entry and regularly breaking it's sales record prove that a franchise that peaked with it's first entries and has never even come close to those sales since will suddenly become a greater system seller than it has ever been before?

I think you should go back and read the posts because you're arguing a load of waffle you've made up in your head here, Fatality was asking why people bring up Pokemon and I told him it's because it'll be console level which is a massive jump for the series, gameboy and 3ds was never even mentioned you're imagining arguments that were never said.

Ka-pi96 said:
zorg1000 said:

Do you really expect a serious response to that?

It's a joke at Game Freak's expense

But seriously, people shouldn't get their hopes up too much. Game Freak have shown nothing to indicate that they'll make a home console Pokemon game on the level that people expect. They've shown that they like to play it safe as much as possible and aren't particularly ambitious, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Pokemon Switch is only a marginal upgrade from Sun/Moon.

Im expecting visuals similar to Inazuma Eleven Ares, i think thats a realistic expectation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I would guess that it will, but its just a guess. Maybe labo can help it lure some interest among people that don´t play that much? Labo could be something that parents could do with their children and that could lead to moms and dads and children playing Switch. Getting even multiple Switches, who knows.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wyrdness said:

I think you should go back and read the posts because you're arguing a load of waffle you've made up in your head here, Fatality was asking why people bring up Pokemon and I told him it's because it'll be console level which is a massive jump for the series, gameboy and 3ds was never even mentioned you're imagining arguments that were never said.

Maybe you should go back and read previous posts.

His post was clearly about people thinking Pokemon will be some ridiculous system seller the likes of which have never been seen before. It will be a system seller, no doubt. But it was a system seller for every single Nintendo handheld so far. It's been seen plenty of times before and there's no reason to treat it like it's suddenly going to be a much bigger system seller for the Switch than it has been for Nintendo's handhelds.

His post to me comes across as why people keep bringing up an obvious system seller I explained to him that people are bringing it up because the Switch game will be the first console level Pokemon which is a large jump, this combined with the Switch's momentum can lead to strong sales as currently only one Nintendo platform has sold faster than Switch in the GBA. When you add Pokemon's selling power you can see why people bring it up.

System sellers combine with momentum, you are looking at it as people just saying Pokemon when in actual fact people are putting Pokemon and the Switch's momentum together.

A bit early to say, but I'm feeling confident it will be able to surpass Wii.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won