By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch outsell the Wii?

Currently, it seems to early to say. I feel we may know better in a year or 2, but hey, the possibility is always there.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Kinda unrelated, but I still find it hysterical that a year ago, we went from people marking their words that the Switch would bomb harder than the Wii U, to genuinely questioning if it will outsell Nintendo’s most successful platform.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

No. Everyone and their moms had a wii the same doesn't apply to switch.

curl-6 said:

Nintendo would have to fuck up pretty badly for it not to, honestly.

Mainline Pokemon, hardware revisions, multiple purchases per household, and a longer lifespan should push it passed the Wii.

Exactly.

Plenty of people who have a Switch now will buy some new Switch revision a few years down the line. That's something that handhelds get that consoles don't (for the most part).

The Wii went totally nuts for like 3 years then really fell off because its massive new market of non-gamers started to not be interested anymore. No reason to think the Switch will suddenly go from crazy popular to mediocre sales all of a sudden like that.

Pokemon. Exactly. For the first time in history pokemon will be on a home console and it will be the only place to play new pokemon games.

All that plus the Switch is going to totally take over the Japanese market - Switch will probably sell about 15 million more in Japan than the Wii did. And of course as the 3DS fades away Nintendo will be entirely focused on software for a single system for the first time since before Gameboy came out! The only thing left for Switch to get for it to smash Wii's sales is to get good AAA third party support. It's got great indie support so far and gotten some good older third party games, but we're still waiting on new game AAA support.

Anyways, I think it has a good shot of beating the Wii as long as they get good third party support and keep making great games. I think 110 million is doable if Nintendo makes smart decisions.

I think it will for three reasons: 

1. It is currently on par with the Wii sales-wise.

2. A large percentage of the Wii's sales were front-loaded, because Nintendo support dropped off. I don't see the same happening with the Switch. Nintendo learned their lesson. 

3. The Switch is more revision friendly. I can see people buying second or third switches, especially if we have a "New" Switch that boosts performance and/or a "portable" Switch that is in a slimmer handheld-friendly form-factor.  

Around the Network
HandofPrometheus said:
No. Everyone and their moms had a wii the same doesn't apply to switch.

But you know, I don't see a lot of people saying that "everyone and their moms" has a PS4, yet it's on track to eventually SURPASS the Wii. Really, the whole "everyone and their moms/grandparents/aunts" thing seems to be more so a caricature of how wide an audience can possibly be, but not necessarily how big it is as a whole. If the Wii actually catered well to all of it's potential audience ("everyone and their moms") then it would have sold a hell of a lot more than 100 million. That sentence is just a description used for consoles like the Wii, or the PS2, which have exterior factors to get people to buy them (DVD drives, motion controls) and as a result have a wide audience. That doesn't necessarily mean much if, like with the Wii, some of the demographics are being neglected.

It's kind of like the idiom : wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle. Sometimes what matters is how well you cater to a few select demographics, and not how many you can fit under your belt. 

Like people already stated, integrated platform with all big Nintendo IPs on one platform, great concept that aims at handheld and home console owners at same time, some big 3rd party games in full handheld mode, multiply revisions, Nintendo said they want longer life span than usual 5-6 years....It's still hard to tell but definitely has good chances to do 100m+ at end, I mean Switch will end 2018. year with 30m+ (thats less than 2 years on market), so minimum that Switch will sell at end is 70-80m, so I wouldn't bet against 100m+.

It will not because momentum will drop fast. handheld market just isn't what it used to be.

sc94597 said:

I think it will for three reasons: 

1. It is currently on par with the Wii sales-wise.

2. A large percentage of the Wii's sales were front-loaded, because Nintendo support dropped off. I don't see the same happening with the Switch. Nintendo learned their lesson. 

3. The Switch is more revision friendly. I can see people buying second or third switches, especially if we have a "New" Switch that boosts performance and/or a "portable" Switch that is in a slimmer handheld-friendly form-factor.  

this year wii will demolish  in sales, only reason switch is ahead is because wii was so supply constrained. 

Don't think so. Expecting something around 80m.