By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Angry Joe's Sea of Thieves Angry Review

LudicrousSpeed said:
pokoko said:

Actually, I would hope the game developed by a large studio over several years, with a large budget and state of the art facilities, would have at least as much content as an indie game developed by a handful of people. 

Either way, it's not a comparison that puts Rare in a good light.

So you have official numbers on how many employees are at Rare, how many of them worked on SoT, and how big the budget is? Please share your sources, would make for interesting reads, thanks!

NMS = SP game with randomly generated worlds using shared assets. SoT = essentially a pirate themed MMO. It’s a stupid comparison to begin with, NMS was literally designed to have endless content, which was part of its problem imho. Please tell us how you’d think a multiplayer shared world game should have as much content as a game designed to generate an endless amount of planets and animals. 

Let me make it clear though, I’m not a SoT apologist. I got it in a GamePass sub I already had, and would not have paid $60 after what I saw during the betas. It has too little content and too high a price.

If you don't think Rare has more resources than an indie studio, and used more of them on "their most ambitious game ever", then I'm going to laugh at you for a really long time.  That you're trying to suggest otherwise is also pretty funny.

As far as content, I played BioWare's Star Wars MMO at launch.  I paid full price and thought it was worth every penny.  There was so much content that I ended up leveling three different characters and probably still didn't see everything.  That was years ago.  Sea of Thieves doesn't seem to have even a fraction of that.  I don't understand what they were thinking selling this at $60.

Around the Network

No one said HG has more employees than Rare. I’m simply asking for your proof about the size of the teams working on the games and their budgets, since you’re speaking on both factually. Another post without evidence and I’ll assume you’re talking out of your butt.

I also played TOR and it did have a ton of content. Different games launch with different amounts of content. But instead of shifting goal posts, please explain how a MP game like Sea of Thieves should have as much content as a game literally made to have endless content thanks to randomly generated worlds. In NMS endless exploration is the hook of the game. No, SoT should not have that much content, nor that kind of content. Again, dumb comparison.

Bristow9091 said:
Angelv577 said:
Wow a 4/10 and that is considering he was very excited about the game. He also said no man sky has more content.

They should do a rerelease of No Man's Sky with the tag line "Has more content than Sea of Thieves", lol :P

Well, NMS has gotten a ton of free expansions/improvements on a regular basis since its launch. Alot more than any dev I ever heard of doing. It should get a rerelease. It's definitely not the same game.

Hopefully, SoT gets similar treatment by Rare/MS.

Aeolus451 said:
Bristow9091 said:

They should do a rerelease of No Man's Sky with the tag line "Has more content than Sea of Thieves", lol :P

Well, NMS has gotten a ton of free expansions/improvements on a regular basis since its launch. Alot more than any dev I ever heard of doing. It should get a rerelease. It's definitely not the same game.

Hopefully, SoT gets similar treatment by Rare/MS.

it had more content at launch even if you stay in like 1 planet

LudicrousSpeed said:
No one said HG has more employees than Rare. I’m simply asking for your proof about the size of the teams working on the games and their budgets, since you’re speaking on both factually. Another post without evidence and I’ll assume you’re talking out of your butt.

I also played TOR and it did have a ton of content. Different games launch with different amounts of content. But instead of shifting goal posts, please explain how a MP game like Sea of Thieves should have as much content as a game literally made to have endless content thanks to randomly generated worlds. In NMS endless exploration is the hook of the game. No, SoT should not have that much content, nor that kind of content. Again, dumb comparison.

I didn't make the dumb comparison, I quoted your dumb comparison as you fumbled around for some way to excuse SoT.

You're trying so hard to apologize for this game that you're being absolutely silly.  Just listen to yourself.  You don't think a large studio like Rare applied more resources to their "most ambitious game ever" than an indie studio with under 20 employees?  Answer the question.  I mean, do you know how laughable that sounds?  

I mean, this is a company that is giving away a $100,000 bunch of golden bananas in a contest.

Spin and deflect away, it won't do you any good.  

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Bristow9091 said:

You would hope so considering No Mans Sky has been on the market alot longer now, unfortunately i tried playing it acouple weeks ago and even after all the patches, its still Minecraft in Space and boring as hell.. did they finially add Multiplayer as they promise at launch?

He meant at launch, not now. 

@ OP 

Great review, as usual. It seems to me they just came up with some placeholder objectives for testing, then spent most of their time on the water tech. Then, the final deadline came faster than they thought, but said, "Fuck it, they'll buy it anyway. It's MS's biggest exclusive in awhile and we'll hype the shit out of it."

$60 early access

Why do we care what some random guy on Youtube thinks? Have we asked this question yet of ourselves? What makes his opinion better than our own? Ever wonder why we, as a society seem to need people to lead us? Why we can't seem to form our own opinions?

thismeintiel said:
Azzanation said:

You would hope so considering No Mans Sky has been on the market alot longer now, unfortunately i tried playing it acouple weeks ago and even after all the patches, its still Minecraft in Space and boring as hell.. did they finially add Multiplayer as they promise at launch?

He meant at launch, not now. 

@ OP 

Great review, as usual. It seems to me they just came up with some placeholder objectives for testing, then spent most of their time on the water tech. Then, the final deadline came faster than they thought, but said, "Fuck it, they'll buy it anyway. It's MS's biggest exclusive in awhile and we'll hype the shit out of it."

This is coming from someone who hasnt played the game at all haha. 

How can i take your post seriously with little to no experience of the game?

AlfredoTurkey said:
Why do we care what some random guy on Youtube thinks? Have we asked this question yet of ourselves? What makes his opinion better than our own? Ever wonder why we, as a society seem to need people to lead us? Why we can't seem to form our own opinions?

What makes you think your opinion is worth reading when you type your comments here?

You share your views on things here. Why should it be different for him?

Or is it just about people enjoying his comments/views/opinions and not yours?