By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm boycotting Bandai Namco

VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

For which thing? My Bethesda stance? No EA or Activision? The 2 Wolfenstein collectors editions? I'm guessing it's the last one. I found them at Best Buy knocked down from the original MSRP of...I think $110....reduced to $60. Plus, like I said TWO dollies!

I meant not buying Bethesda-developed games.

I had massive problems with both Oblivion and Fallout 3. With Oblivion ( 360 version ), which I really liked, it was mostly the usual Bethesda problems. A litany of glitches that were mostly just annoying. Although the game did freeze and crash on me more than should be considered acceptable, it wasn't so bad it was a deal breaker. Then, one day, I simply lost all my data. Hooray! Everything else on the HD was fine, but when attempting to load any Oblivion save, I got the very strange notification that " an artifact was missing " or something close to that. I wasn't happy, and resolved to stay away from Bethesda. Without going into details, my experience with Fallout 3 ( PS3 version ), was much, much worse. Absolutely riddled with crashes and freezing, and an infuriating chain of events that lead to my progress being totally halted. Essentially it was a game breaking situation. It was complicated enough that pouring over all the details is more that I want to address. Nasty experience. Easily the worst of my entire time as a gamer.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
spemanig said:
I will never understand the one-man boycott.

Effecting change isn't a goal. It's just principle. I haven't bough a Bethesda developed game since Fallout 3 in 2009, and won't do so ever again. I WILL buy games they merely publish however. I have 2 Wolfenstein collectors editions. That means I have TWO B.J. Blazkowicz dollies to play with! EA and Activision are on my perma-shit list. :)

Boycotting on principal only hurts you, though. You can only really boycott something you'd ideally want to own, other wise you'd just be claiming to not buy something you never intended to get. If you're not buying something you otherwise would though, with no expectation that the thing you don't like will change, you're literally just giving your life less enjoyment with no upside at all.

NintendoPie said:
pokoko said:
Do you boycott developers and publishers who put games on Nintendo platforms but skip either Playstation, Microsoft, or PC? Just curious.

People usually don't boycott things that don't have any affect on them. Seeing as how OP seems to be a Nintendo (only) fan, he would have no reason to do so.

He indicated in his OP that it a boycott based on principle.  If that's the case, then he should feel the same way about any company that does the same thing.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The basic principal of what you're asking isn't that unreasonable, but you don't have to act like a crybaby to express your feelings.

You shouldn't expect a Dragon Ball Fighter Z port to be announced when the company that makes the Switch can't even give people a clear expectation of what to expect from them FOUR MONTHS into the year. Dragon Ball Fighter Z isn't even old.

You think Nintendo can't give people a clear expectation? The reason they don't give more than 4 months notice (usually, as you say) is because they want to announce games when they are ready, not too early. A lot of companies will announce one game and then it launches 1-3 years after their "initial window." This is a lie to their fans. Nintendo, except for Zelda, doesn't tend to do this; they announced shortly before they launch.

But if you actually believe Nintendo doesn't have a clue about every game they want to launch in the next few years then I don't know what to say to you lol.

Dulfite said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The basic principal of what you're asking isn't that unreasonable, but you don't have to act like a crybaby to express your feelings.

You shouldn't expect a Dragon Ball Fighter Z port to be announced when the company that makes the Switch can't even give people a clear expectation of what to expect from them FOUR MONTHS into the year. Dragon Ball Fighter Z isn't even old.

You think Nintendo can't give people a clear expectation? The reason they don't give more than 4 months notice (usually, as you say) is because they want to announce games when they are ready, not too early. A lot of companies will announce one game and then it launches 1-3 years after their "initial window." This is a lie to their fans. Nintendo, except for Zelda, doesn't tend to do this; they announced shortly before they launch.

But if you actually believe Nintendo doesn't have a clue about every game they want to launch in the next few years then I don't know what to say to you lol.

How do you actually write something as stupid as that last sentence? Yes, I totally believe Nintendo doesn't know what their own properties will be in the next few years, and that's a totally normal thing to extrapolate from a comment where I say that Nintendo and third parties should be judged on a similar level when it comes to game announcements. 

Seriously, what a shitty reply. 

Around the Network

Is it really wise to carry out such a boycott roughly 2 and a half months before E3?

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

I agree with the others, this just reeks of sour grapes to me. I don't boycott any company unless they legitimately prove they don't deserve my money; Bunglevision (Bungie AND Activision) for all the shady shit they pulled with Destiny 2 (continued support is letting them know that what they're doing is A-OK) and hell, every game they touch and Konami because I don't wanna give money to a company that actively goes out of their way to make employees lives a living hell.

PS, what if I told you https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-08-yes-namco-bandai-is-working-on-metroid-prime-4">Bandai-Namco is working on Metroid Prime 4? Are you still gonna put your money where your mouth is?

spemanig said:
COKTOE said:

Effecting change isn't a goal. It's just principle. I haven't bough a Bethesda developed game since Fallout 3 in 2009, and won't do so ever again. I WILL buy games they merely publish however. I have 2 Wolfenstein collectors editions. That means I have TWO B.J. Blazkowicz dollies to play with! EA and Activision are on my perma-shit list. :)

Boycotting on principal only hurts you, though. You can only really boycott something you'd ideally want to own, other wise you'd just be claiming to not buy something you never intended to get. If you're not buying something you otherwise would though, with no expectation that the thing you don't like will change, you're literally just giving your life less enjoyment with no upside at all.

Well, there are few different factors at play. There are different levels of want and desire. There may be the odd time when, yes, I'm not buying a game I otherwise would because I have something of a grudge against company X ( I have to point out, this is rare, and limited to those I mentioned in my initial post ). The best example would be this: From 2009 to 2014, I would not buy ANY game with the Bethesda lable, even one's they only published. The biggest case self denial came in the form of Wolfenstein, which I thought looked fun. I eventually relented, bought it, loved it, and also bought The Old Blood, and the DLC for Dishonored ( which I had in my PS+ backlog ). Enjoyed them all. Having said that, even though that's the best example of denying myself of something I wanted, I would have been just fine without them. Like many of us here, I'm lucky enough to have a large library. Large enough that I have little doubt I'll never make may way through it. I mean....shiiiitt. I still haven't play UC4, Horizon, MH World, a ton of JRPG's, Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 0....The list is ridiculous, and any one of those titles still sitting in their original wrapping, or on my HD's could have easily subbed in for The Wolfy games and Dishonored. There's just so much to choose from that I'm genuinely interested in, that missing a few here and there to vote with my wallet is worth it, and not much of a sacrifice. Looking at EA and Activision, there are some games I'd likely never purchase, but several that I might have bought, at the very least, on a lark and at a discount. There is truth to your words though. That's why I crumbled with Wolfy. :)

Last edited by COKTOE - on 25 March 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

pokoko said:
He indicated in his OP that it a boycott based on principle.  If that's the case, then he should feel the same way about any company that does the same thing.

I see. Maybe OP doesn't understand the idea of doing something based on principle.

Why does every publishers HAVE TO HAVE their game on Switch?

I understand the frustration on some of the cases, but as long as there's a big difference in technical specs, there will be multiplat games that skip Switch. 

Last edited by outlawauron - on 25 March 2018

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.