By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 11): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - March 12-18, 2018

zorg1000 said:
kopstudent89 said:

That was quick! 

Switch might catch up next month. Wonder what sort of impact Labo will have in Japan

In the last 3 weeks Switch has cut the lead from ~150k to ~80k so ya it should overtake PS4 in the next few weeks.

Switch will also hit 4m in next 2-3 week in Japan.

Around the Network

Woah, Kirby sold good numbers! Hardware is solid for Switch. The PS4 has slipped to WiiU numbers and MonHun fell pretty badly. Are there still shortages? Cause the amazon JP site gave a shipment date of about mid march.

Good start for Kirby. Great legs for Splatoon, Monster Hunter, Mario Kart and (to my surprise) Zelda. Zelda really seems to break one million in Japan.

Comparing the sales for Attack on Titan 2 it seems, that Switch can sell about two thirds of PS4 units in a head-on-head-start (was another game so far released at the same time amongst the platforms?). Seeing the respective userbases this looks not too bad for Switch.

And funny japanese game names:
Future card buddy fight was born! Our strongest buddy!
Gail ☆ Cancer 2

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Miyamotoo said:

I expected Switch numbers to be around 70k but almost 55k is good in any case, great debut for Kirby and Splatoon 2 is unstoppable.

I expected 60k myself, but I’m more curious to see the result from now on. I think the baseline will be 50k going forward.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Pavolink said:

DMC HD Collection

Pretty big flop. They should've put DMC4 and maybe the new DMC to add value. I think this "HD" trilogy has been released far too many times for what it is 

Around the Network

Pretty sad numbers for PS4. Good to see Kirby did well out of the gate!

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Great numbers for Kirby, and good week for Switch.

outlawauron said:
Switch didn't get boosted as much as I thought, but Kirby debuted pretty well.

Attack on Titan 2 did pretty meh, but Switch > Vita is good sign for KT. I don't know if anyone really asked for this game though. >_>

We have to wait for week 2... There were shoratges for the nsw sku in some major retailers. That said anime season 3 coming soon and we might jist might have a dbxv2 situation here. If it falls off next week then i be wrong lol.

Yeah switch needs to do better. Itll still be up YoY but it can be doing 55k on slow weeks... That said hopefully its the naseline starting apr!

As a continuation of last week, here is the break down for week 11 in terms of the paths the PS4 and Switch have to meet the estimates for units sold in 2018 in Japan that have been largely passed around in these threads in the past, 2 million for the PS4 and 4 million for the Switch.

TWS GD YTD AWN (Change)
PS4 22,627 -9564 670,572 32,425 (+234)
Switch 54,342 -28149 589,717 83,177 (+686)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

A big release with Kirby but the Switch is still losing ground on its estimate. A rather poor showing for the PS4 as well makes its trek slightly more difficult as well.

So, it looks like 1 million WW is going to be a very easy accomplishment for Kirby.