By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Crash Bandicoot Nsane Trilogy coming to Switch

Pyro as Bill said:
RolStoppable said:

It's a port by Alfredo's definition. If you don't like his definition, complain to him.

I'm going to be generous and assume he didn't mean remastered compilations of top tier games with 'new' content (Lost Levels) when he said 'old games'.

Lost levels came out for the Famicom in 1986 the version in Mario All Stars was a port of that onto the SNES.

and when it comes to "remasters" the Switch versions of most WiiU games even up the resolution a great deal or iron out framerate issues like in Bayonetta to the point where they're on a technical level a remaster of the last gen stuff. Obviously massively so when it comes to something like Okami HD from the PS2

It's also worth remembering that the Switch so far... in the first 12 months of existing has over 850 titles available on it, to compare that to previous systems, the Gamecube had a total of 661 games over all regions, the more popular SNES has a total of 783 games, even if you go back 2 generations the Wii in it's entire life of "shovelware" being pumped out for the system it has a total of 1529 games available after 11 years and over 100million consoles sold, the Switch is looking like it could have more games available than the Wii by the time it enters year 3 of its life if the current trend continues.

But yeah.... you cannot compare the games library of a system which is snowballing in size like the Switches, sure it has a tons of ports from other places, but equally it also has more software already than most systems which came before it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I'm going to be generous and assume he didn't mean remastered compilations of top tier games with 'new' content (Lost Levels) when he said 'old games'.

Lost levels came out for the Famicom in 1986 the version in Mario All Stars was a port of that onto the SNES.

and when it comes to "remasters" the Switch versions of most WiiU games even up the resolution a great deal or iron out framerate issues like in Bayonetta to the point where they're on a technical level a remaster of the last gen stuff. Obviously massively so when it comes to something like Okami HD from the PS2

It's also worth remembering that the Switch so far... in the first 12 months of existing has over 850 titles available on it, to compare that to previous systems, the Gamecube had a total of 661 games over all regions, the more popular SNES has a total of 783 games, even if you go back 2 generations the Wii in it's entire life of "shovelware" being pumped out for the system it has a total of 1529 games available after 11 years and over 100million consoles sold, the Switch is looking like it could have more games available than the Wii by the time it enters year 3 of its life if the current trend continues.

But yeah.... you cannot compare the games library of a system which is snowballing in size like the Switches, sure it has a tons of ports from other places, but equally it also has more software already than most systems which came before it.

If you don't see a problem equating a compilation of 3 of the 4 best selling games from the previous gen (and the jump from 8 to 16-bit) with Captain Toad getting a few extra pixels, fine.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Mbolibombo said:
curl-6 said:

Agreed. So far, the Switch is severely lacking in substantial new games this year. Nearly everything is regurgitated leftovers or C tier filler.

Coming the year after we got Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Kingdom Battle, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2 all in less than 9 months, it sucks to be back in the doldrums.

I dont know about you, but I dont see Kirby, Yoshi, Labo, Fire Emblem, MT: Aces, Smash (yes I believe it's a new entry), Octopath Traveller, No More Heroes, World Ends with You: Final Remix  is lacking in substantial. All exclusives no less (sort of). Then there's new multiplat releases in DQ Builders 2, Mega Man 11, Dark Souls Remastered, Street Fighter 30th Collection, Starlink, Attack on Titan 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Titan Quest as well.

And saying regurgigated leftovers / C-Tier about the likes of DKC:TF, HW: DE, Owlboy, Undertale, Crash, Southpark, Darkest Dungeon, Little Nightmares: CE, Captain Toad, YS VIII, Battle Chasers, Wolf 2.. well then that's on you.

We're 2 months and 9 days in to the year. There's going to be more revealed at the very least at E3 and through out the rest of the year as well.

Pretty all of those either came out years ago, or look way below the standard of games like Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, and Kingdom Battle. Wolfenstein 2 I'll grant you, because its a current gen title only a few months old and looks excellent, but where is it? It wasn't even featured in the direct.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 March 2018

Pyro as Bill said:
Ganoncrotch said:

If you don't see a problem equating a compilation of 3 of the 4 best selling games from the previous gen (and the jump from 8 to 16-bit) with Captain Toad getting a few extra pixels, fine.

When you say few extra pixels are you talking about the New Donk City stages? I'm fairly certain a stage in a 3d 1080p stage in 2018 has more than a few pixels.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Pyro as Bill said:

When you say few extra pixels are you talking about the New Donk City stages? I'm fairly certain a stage in a 3d 1080p stage in 2018 has more than a few pixels.

Sorry, I meant LESS pixels. I was referring to the 3DS port.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Ganoncrotch said:
Pyro as Bill said:

You win. Running a 3DS game in 1080p with 2018 pixels is a massive technical achievement compared to the jump to 16-bit.

curl-6 said:
Mbolibombo said:

I dont know about you, but I dont see Kirby, Yoshi, Labo, Fire Emblem, MT: Aces, Smash (yes I believe it's a new entry), Octopath Traveller, No More Heroes, World Ends with You: Final Remix  is lacking in substantial. All exclusives no less (sort of). Then there's new multiplat releases in DQ Builders 2, Mega Man 11, Dark Souls Remastered, Street Fighter 30th Collection, Starlink, Attack on Titan 2, Pillars of Eternity 2, Titan Quest as well.

And saying regurgigated leftovers / C-Tier about the likes of DKC:TF, HW: DE, Owlboy, Undertale, Crash, Southpark, Darkest Dungeon, Little Nightmares: CE, Captain Toad, YS VIII, Battle Chasers, Wolf 2.. well then that's on you.

We're 2 months and 9 days in to the year. There's going to be more revealed at the very least at E3 and through out the rest of the year as well.

Pretty all of those either came out years ago, or look way below the standard of games like Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, and Kingdom Battle. Wolfenstein 2 I'll grant you, because its a current gen title only a few months old and looks excellent, but where is it? It wasn't even featured in the direct.

Yeah all the games I mentioned are stellar. Do you even know what those games are? 

Mbolibombo said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah all the games I mentioned are stellar. Do you even know what those games are? 

Can't see a single title there that remotely deserves to be called "stellar". Just what are these allegedly "stellar" games?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 March 2018

PortisheadBiscuit said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

When you think of the NES, what do you think when you think software? Now do the same for SNES, Genesis, PS1 etc. Did a fucking PORT come to mind? I'm guessing not.

And why do you think that is? Is it because back then, ports were treated by gamers like a case herpes?  Is it because game companies back then knew that they were third-hand titles that not many people wanted and kept them in the background? 

The answer to both is yes. We didn't WANT ports. They were scoffed at and dismissed. 

Games like Donkey Kong, Pacman, and even Tetris were ports and people LOVED them

Tetris on Gameboy, sure, people loved. But that was because it was the first time it released. The NES version was ignored for the most part. The other games you mentioned were also... you want to know the truth? I didn't even KNOW they existed in 1986 and I just got my NES. No one cared about those old games. We wanted Super Mario Bros., Metroids, Ninja Gaiden, Mega man and Zelda... we didn't give two shits about Pac-Man on our NES. That was old hat.