By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 9): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - February 26 - March 04, 2018

Busters 2 out of the top 20 T-T

Around the Network

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6274579
Sony commenting about the Shortage for PS4 and the shortage is because of MHW.
I think Sony was caught off guard as well with Monster Hunter effect.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6274579
Sony commenting about the Shortage for PS4 and the shortage is because of MHW.
I think Sony was caught off guard as well with Monster Hunter effect.

I think the whole world was to be honest. Can't say capcom didn't warn us though. They even mentioned it in the title. World domination for the title. 

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Japanese Sales Tracker (Single SKUs): UPDATE!!

1. (NES) The Legend of Zelda - 1,690,000
2. (NES) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - 1,610,000
3. (N64) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1,450,000
4. (SNES) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 1,115,000
5. (DS) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 950,000
6. (NS) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild* - 896,455 (+12,675)
7. (GC) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 890,000

*Without Digital

The physical Switch version of Breath of the Wild has surpassed Wind Waker to move into 6th place on the All-Time Single SKUs Legend of Zelda Japan Sales List.

And now, Phantom Hourglass is next!

tbone51 said:
Splat2 vs DQ11

Splatoon2: 2.084mil
DQ(ps4): 1.423mil
DQ(3ds): 1.822mil
DQ(Com): 3.245mil

Still kinda bold but i should of made a thread that BotW will be the best selling Zelda in Japan... Too late?

If you do, that would be the perfect home for the Sales Tracker.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Megiddo said:

Switch certainly dominated Japan last year, but the same cannot be said this year. Pretty sure PS4 is still way up in terms of YTD Japan sales.

Do you believe that the PS4 can put up a fight for the whole of 2018?

I believe that barring a massive push by Nintendo in the second half of the year, the marketshare for the Switch in Japan in 2018 will be lower than the marketshare for the Switch in Japan in 2017. Switch will still win, but it won't be as dominant as last year, which is that the mod's comment was stating ('starting the dominate' I believe was the wording used).

Guess I'll clarify then and just say I'm referring to the percentage of Switchs sold divided by the sum of Switches sold plus PS4s sold.

Basically that the Switch won't dominate the PS4 in Japan as much in '18 as it did in '17. But again, that's a pure guess since the second half of the year for Nintendo is a giant question mark at this point.

Honestly it was more surprise at the original comment that it didn't reference the buttkicking the Switch put on the PS4 last year and only thinks that now the Switch is starting to dominate, which is a really strange comment to come by after a month or so of the PS4's best sales in Japan in a long time.

Another good week for PS4 and Monster Hunter! 2M retail soon!

PS Vita still selling in Japan is nice.

Carl2291 said:
I wonder how long the Switch can hold >50% marketshare.

It really is starting to dominate the Japanese market, even with apparent supply issues.

PS4 is still higher YTD so I wouldn't call the Switch perfomance "dominating".

Besides that PS4 has supply issues in Japan too.

Dr.Vita said:

PS4 is still higher YTD so I wouldn't call the Switch perfomance "dominating".

Besides that PS4 has supply issues in Japan too.

Of course it does, because it just had a gigantic launch with Monster Hunter and we're only just hitting March.

Both PS4 and Switch are seeing reported stock issues, PS4 maybe more-so, but that doesn't really change anything. The Switch has hit a solid baseline without any major release, it's only going to get stronger as the year progresses and more titles are hitting the shelves.