By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 9): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - February 26 - March 04, 2018

Switch down massively YoY, what a flop.

At least sales increased WoW though.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:

Guess I'll clarify then and just say I'm referring to the percentage of Switchs sold divided by the sum of Switches sold plus PS4s sold.

Basically that the Switch won't dominate the PS4 in Japan as much in '18 as it did in '17. But again, that's a pure guess since the second half of the year for Nintendo is a giant question mark at this point.

Honestly it was more surprise at the original comment that it didn't reference the buttkicking the Switch put on the PS4 last year and only thinks that now the Switch is starting to dominate, which is a really strange comment to come by after a month or so of the PS4's best sales in Japan in a long time.

Nah, Switch will dominate PS4 this year just as much as it did last year.

PS4 is ahead at the moment but that is 100% because of Monster Hunter which is by far the biggest game PS4 has gotten or will get.

With the exception of a few possible weeks where PS4 gets a big game, Switch will have a solid lead throughout the rest of the year and the holidays will be an absolute slaughter.

PS4 really doesnt have any big hitters set for Spring so we shouldnt expect Q2 to be anything special and last Summer had Dragon Quest so we should expect Q3 to be down YoY.

PS4 should sell ~2 million this year in Japan while Switch will sell 4 million or more.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PAOerfulone said:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Japanese Sales Tracker (Single SKUs): UPDATE!!

1. (NES) The Legend of Zelda - 1,690,000
2. (NES) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - 1,610,000
3. (N64) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1,450,000
4. (SNES) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 1,115,000
5. (DS) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 950,000
6. (NS) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild* - 896,455 (+12,675)
7. (GC) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 890,000

*Without Digital

The physical Switch version of Breath of the Wild has surpassed Wind Waker to move into 6th place on the All-Time Single SKUs Legend of Zelda Japan Sales List.

And now, Phantom Hourglass is next!

Suprised to see no Twilight Princess in there!

zorg1000 said:

PS4 should sell ~2 million this year in Japan while Switch will sell 4 million or more.

After just over 2 months PS4 is at 620k and Switch is at 490k according to Media Create.

May I ask, what is it that you expect will result in the Switch selling 3.51 million units the remaining 10 months while the PS4 only sells 1.38 million?

Not really, Twilight Princess was made to cater specifically to the teenage/young adult Western Audiences. So the fact that it didn't sell at the same levels as past Zelda games in Japan, even when combining both the Wii and GameCube versions isn't that surprising.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:

Guess I'll clarify then and just say I'm referring to the percentage of Switchs sold divided by the sum of Switches sold plus PS4s sold.

Basically that the Switch won't dominate the PS4 in Japan as much in '18 as it did in '17. But again, that's a pure guess since the second half of the year for Nintendo is a giant question mark at this point.

Honestly it was more surprise at the original comment that it didn't reference the buttkicking the Switch put on the PS4 last year and only thinks that now the Switch is starting to dominate, which is a really strange comment to come by after a month or so of the PS4's best sales in Japan in a long time.

Hum PS4 will maybe be slightly up this year but switch had huge stock problems in Japan for the entire 2017. It will be way up this year and will destroy the PS4 even more. Its doing 50k with no big games for months in Japan and there was no big Japanese system seller yet last year except Splatoon 2(even Odyssey is a 3D mario which isnt that popular).

Hey, if that happens that means that Nintendo put out an awesome slate of games, so more power to them. Nintendo did an awesome job in 2017 so I'd like to see them repeat that for 2018 but there being a literal void of information about the second half of 2018 doesn't inspire the most confidence.

Megiddo said:

zorg1000 said:

After just over 2 months PS4 is at 620k and Switch is at 490k according to Media Create.

May I ask, what is it that you expect will result in the Switch selling 3.51 million units the remaining 10 months while the PS4 only sells 1.38 million?

Did you miss the part when i said 100% of the YOY increase is from Monster Hunter? The MH boost has essentially run its course and PS4 will go back to selling 20-30k/week. Q2-Q4 will more or less be the same as last year.

Switch is consistently selling 40-50k each week with no big releases, Mario Rabbids is the biggest debut of the year so far at like 70k, with DQ Builders & Bayonetta being the 2nd & 3rd biggest at 28k & 20k.

If it can sell that well with nothing major than what do you think is going to happen when big games release?

If PS4 averages 30k/week & Switch 50k/week from now thru Sept than YTD numbers will be PS4-1.5m & Switch-2m.

That brings us to the holiday quarter which heavily falls in Nintendo's favor. Q4 typically makes up about 50% of yearly sales for Nintendo.

PS4 on the other hand has averaged 500k in Q4 for the last 4 years.

PS4, 1.5m+500k=~2 million

NSW, 2m x 2=~4 million

Switch will sell roughly double what PS4 sells this year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

But the MHW boost has not run its course. That's why there is a wide-scale shortage for the PS4. And that's why MHW is still in the top 3 for Amazon JP. Its legs are going to be enormous.

Then you have games like Spider-Man (Homecoming grossed 25 mil in Japan) and Kingdom Hearts 3 which are going to sell some systems.

Everything I've read on it (which admittedly isn't much as I'm not a KH fan) says that there's a 2018 release.