By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85

Sure they can and I hope they do.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Only it it isn't too expensive.

I think they could take $450 no problem. $500 will be pushing it a little bit, they'd lose a little steam but nothing they can't recover from and then some.

$550 or more is just asking for it.

They tried it once and how did that work out? I think they learned their lesson.

I suppose they could go for a more expensive and powerful console if they wanted, but that's risky, especially if their competition goes for a lower price. It could be a repeat of the PS3 if they weren't careful in this situation. A stellar line of launch and 1st years games could help prevent a high price turning people away.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

If Microsoft can get away with launching a less $500 console with a good chunk of that price going towards a useless camera with a ton of backlash after the reveal and still sell a lot of units, Sony should be just fine at $500 provided they don't have an even worse PR disaster. If they put all of that cost towards raw power and have a lot of games to show for it, the console will do well.  $500 in 2018 is not $600 in 2006.

Seriously, the launch Xbox One was such a huge ripoff that I'm still amazed they pulled off 2nd place.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Errorist76 said:

Be assured Sony has very close ties to AMD (they even developed some Vega features together)...

That is a bold claim. Now prove it.

Errorist76 said:

You also forget, that the Pro‘s GPU is indeed more advanced, as it even uses Vega features the X1X is lacking. Optimisation can do a lot if developers take their time.

...Like...?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/6tmtvq/amd_vega_coming_to_ps4_pro/

It’s not a bold claim, it’s the truth. Sony helped on the development and AMD got to keep the features (can’t find the exact article, but there’s are many similar ones). Can’t believe you didn’t know that....you always seem to know everything.

https://youtu.be/z-qLsuPTgvE

https://www.techradar.com/news/why-amds-new-graphics-cards-could-mean-good-news-for-ps4-pro-owners

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 03 March 2018

$450 should be fine. At some point they've gotta increase from $400 due to inflation. I think $450 will fly just fine right about now.

4 ≈ One

Zach808 said:

If Microsoft can get away with launching a less $500 console with a good chunk of that price going towards a useless camera with a ton of backlash after the reveal and still sell a lot of units, Sony should be just fine at $500 provided they don't have an even worse PR disaster. If they put all of that cost towards raw power and have a lot of games to show for it, the console will do well.  $500 in 2018 is not $600 in 2006.

Seriously, the launch Xbox One was such a huge ripoff that I'm still amazed they pulled off 2nd place.

It’s got outsold by 4:1 during the first months worldwide...they dropped Kinect and price to get back on track.

I say 500 would be fine, provided they have some real blockbusters ready at launch. GT7 and Horizon 2, for example...and backwards compatibility to PS4 of course. Plus an UHD drive. Then it would be a perfectly good price.

zorg1000 said:
$399 is the sweetspot for a fairly powerful console at launch.

Agreed.  

Sony and MS have both learned this lesson the hard way.  If you want widespread adoption, the price has to be something that feels reasonable.  $399 is the top of the market in that regard.  

I hope they hold off on releasing the console until the tech is at a point where PS5 can sell for $399 and hit 4k and 60fps for most games. With the X being as powerful as it is, I think it will at least have to hit those specs to feel like a generational leap.