By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85

$499.99 will be perfect for PS5.

People are way out of reality if they think a $399.99 PS5 in 2019 is going to have any worthwhile gains over PS4 Pro and especially XBO X.

Best thing Sony could have happen is a $499.99 PS5, built with ZEN 3 and Next Gen on 7nm+ fabrication in late 2020. 32GB of RAM, and a 1TB NVMe SSD would be a perfect. Allow users to upgrade the NVMe card and run external SSD via USB3.1 Gen 2. That will deliver a full generational leap in resolution, graphics, physics, and animation, and be well worth the $499.99 price tag.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

The only way a $499 PS5 is coming is if Sony believes they will retain their user base with little hassle from PS4.

While I think the PS5 will obviously be PS4 BC, I dont see any other incentives for someone to automatically jump to PS5. I dont think there is enough embedded in the PS4 eco system to justify a PS5 price increase over the PS4 launch.

You are going to get a $399 PS5 becaues hardware isnt where Sony is seeing their money. Its through software and networks on PSN. You only have to look at their financial statements to realise where they are making money for the PS division, and getting that money means ensuring ppl actually buy into your ecosystem in the first place.

They'll be okay as long as the competition is also similarly priced

I hope they make it more expensive personally, we don't want a jaguar potato 30fps generation part 2. Ofcource it will have Ryzen cuz prices have dropped down but if they spent an extra 100 on more RAM that will make the next 5 years so much better, they could also choose to take a bigger loss/hit and sell it at 400 but for the love of god make it powerful.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

They can and it would work as long as it's gaming focused again.

If XB drops last gen and delivers a $300 console that's worth $300, PS can drop the price to $400 if they feel they are losing sales. I don't see this happening unless we're talking 2021, because XB1X owners won't be impressed enough by a $300 'XB2' in 2019/2020.
If XB sells a $400 console for $400, PS5 should still be fine being more capable to match it's price. PS can always drop the price to $450 or $400, but most likely XB would follow suit as well so $100 gap remains.
If XB sells a $500 console for $500, PS5 will be just fine. Why jump from PS to XB if both consoles are practically the same? If XB sells it for $400, PS will most likely follow suit, or won't be far off.
If XB sells a $600 console for $600, PS5 will be just fine. If XB sells it for $500, then PS5 will have to drop to $450 or $400.

I still think a base PS5 and PS5 Pro at launch is the best idea. Have the base at $350-$400 and the Pro at $500-$600. Make sure both consoles have the hardware to back up the price. The base gets you 50% 4k/60 and 50% checkerboarding, and Pro gets you 95% native 4k/60 and 5% checkerboarding. This way if XB only launches just one console around the same time, they would be in trouble no matter what price bracket it fits in.
If XB launches two models as well, it shouldn't change the sales stats from this gen much (mostly NA).
If XB sells a base and an X version at launch, for around $375 and $550, and there is only one PS5 for $500, it will leave PS in a bad spot because if they try to drop the price to compete with both, then XB is in control to drop the base, the X, or both. This is the only scenario where I see PS having a tough time next gen because a $500 PS5 probably means no Pro model coming, or a longer wait than three years.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 04 March 2018

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

Can they ? Xbox One X sales on amazon sometimes show it beating PS4 Pro though Microsoft would not show there number sales of One X but I guess Microsoft isn't losing money on every Xbox one X sold or that One X is just sitting on store shelves not being sold for a very long time ? I'm curios if Sony can take a bite and go for an even more powerful console like somewhere like 500 or is it to risky and best bet for PS5 is 400 what if that 400 dollar PS5 comes out in 2020 and is slightly more powerful than One X but One X at that time will be 400 .

Do you prefer a slightly more powerful PS5 vs One X or a 500 dollar Bonafide beast I know 600 dollars is extremely risky which is why they lost money back in 7th gen and because the consumers weren't ready to spend 600 dollars . I still think consumers aren't ready for a 600 dollar console but are they ready for a 500 dollar Sony console? What do you think is the sweet spot for PS5 and do you think 450 or even 500 is risky or can the consumer go big for a 600 dollar machine again? You yourself can you afford a 500 dollar machine ? How much should it cost to compete with 500 dollar Xbox two without kinect 3 ?

Both Sony and microsoft will probably sell their new consoles for 449$ as max, but are likely aiming for 399$ price. These consoles need mass adoption from the start so launching at 499$ will likely result in failure.

For myself, I'm fine with 399-599$ launch price. I mostly just want faster cpu and hard drive for more stable framerate and faster loading times.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Errorist76 said:
Ljink96 said:

lol, at that point it's just a PC then, and a not so good one at that if we're keeping costs low. I think we give "generation" too much power as a progressive word in terms of console technology. 

Like I said, couldn't care less about the Xbox Brand at this point, but their feats should not be downplayed. And for now, it's the most powerful device on the market. This conversation isn't about games, or exclusives, or anything of the sort. It's about hardware and hardware costs. The CPU is a downfall of the X, but it's still able to push more pixels and at least at the same FPS as the Pro. Any issues that degrade One X performance are at the fault of the devs at this point, not the hardware and yes they have a reason not to want to put in that effort. Doesn't detract from the fact it's more powerful.

If you desire not to be held back, PCs are waiting But I get it, PS has exclusives fair enough.

I game on PC, thank you. Problem is PCs are also held back by those weak CPUs. The Jaguar was already outdated at release 5 years ago.

My 7 year old i5 is faster than the CPU in the X1X! That’s why it’s still sufficient for 99% of games.

Ahh yes pc games like league of legends, dota 2, world of warcraft and overwatch are really pushing them graphics and are not shackled by a console.

Uncharted: Lost legacy and Horizon: zero dawn on my ps4 pro just can't compete, looool

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Errorist76 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
The question for me is more can they afford not to?

PS5 needs to be substantially stronger than the PS4 Pro to give a real incentive to upgrade as due to diminishing returns it needs bigger differences in hardware power for noticeable visual differences. Thus the GPU part needs at least 10-12 TFlops of raw calculating power to stand out visually over the Pro, and that doesn't come cheap. Graphic cards in that power range cost more than an entire console right now, and even by 2020 it doesn't look like their price will be under 200$ by then. Add to this the need for more RAM and a stronger CPU plus the price of all the rest of the hardware and I hardly see how a price of 399$ can be achieved without resorting to an unhealthy heavy amount of subventionning

Holiday 2020 is more than 2.5 years away..a lot can happen until then. I remember the 360 giving highend PCs a run for their money at release. And I also remember no one expecting the PS4 to have 8GB Of GDDR5 RAM back then. All I’m saying is Sony are market leader, by far, and in a great position to make some special deals. 

@bolded: True, especially in the CPU department. It's main problems where a too small RAM (even at the standards of the time, where 512MB to 1GB where becoming standard for high-end PCs and high-end GPUs having 512MB for themselves. So in short, RAM should have been twice as big to keep up with the rest of the stats) and the GPU part only being DX9 and even then just good, not extraordinary (DX10 could have been more effective due to unified shaders and allowed somewhat better graphics - but mostly, having both PS360 on DX9 dragged PC gaming down, as all the multiplats had been on DX9 out of necessity long after that was dead on PC). Still, 2 years after release, PS360 looked pretty weak from high-end PC player perspective, especially the GPU part as that had tripled in performance in the meanwhile, and the lack of RAM has started to become very apparent.

@italic: Also true, in a way: I remember many being disappointed the PS4 and XBO not having more than just 8GB as again, High-end PCs already had more at their release. Even medium range PCs at the time where more and more getting 8GB of RAM, and the AMD Radeon R9 290X, which came out in October2013, so one month before the current gen consoles, had a 8GB version (though that one only came out a couple of months after the console's releases, but still).

Sony's position isn't actually that great in most cases:

-CPU/GPU? Only AMD can make a competitive all-in-one package, and with Ryzen and Epyc being pretty successful, they don't need the money nearly as badly as they did with the current gen consoles

-RAM? Sony is actually small fry here, as the  graphics card manufacturers and leading smartphone producers are buying so much more of it than Sony ever can for the Playstation, and that would still be true if we include their smartphone business as it's relatively small compared to giants like Samsung or Apple who buy about as much RAM as the PS4 needs in a year on a daily basis.

-Hard drives? There they have a pretty good position, but that's because by the time they reach a capacity the PC market already is moving on past that capacity. If they would come with bigger capacity or even SSD then that advantage is mostly gone, too.

-As for the rest, Sony may have a good dealing position here but that doesn't matter too much anymore as what's left doesn't account for much of the price anymore.

Depending on the competition, up to $500 sounds plausible, but it could be risky. $400 sounds like a safe spot.

Trumpstyle said:
Errorist76 said:

I game on PC, thank you. Problem is PCs are also held back by those weak CPUs. The Jaguar was already outdated at release 5 years ago.

My 7 year old i5 is faster than the CPU in the X1X! That’s why it’s still sufficient for 99% of games.

Ahh yes pc games like league of legends, dota 2, world of warcraft and overwatch are really pushing them graphics and are not shackled by a console.

Uncharted: Lost legacy and Horizon: zero dawn on my ps4 pro just can't compete, looool

You obviously didn’t understand what I was talking about. Trump style for sure.