By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85

I think 400 is the sweetspot they could make a $400 model with low storage cappacity and a $450 model with more storage. Sony could however make a loss on the PS5 hardware, with the PS4 profits.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

$399 is the sweetspot for a fairly powerful console at launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Can they afford to do it? I don't know, can they afford to take a loss on console sales? That is another question.

Even if it's weaker than the competition, going over $400 is not wise.

They have to come out full force with a $500 price tag. I could see it being done. But like others have said $400 is the sweet spot. I think they will stick to that.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

Can they ? Xbox One X sales on amazon sometimes show it beating PS4 Pro though Microsoft would not show there number sales of One X but I guess Microsoft isn't losing money on every Xbox one X sold or that One X is just sitting on store shelves not being sold for a very long time ? I'm curios if Sony can take a bite and go for an even more powerful console like somewhere like 500 or is it to risky and best bet for PS5 is 400 what if that 400 dollar PS5 comes out in 2020 and is slightly more powerful than One X but One X at that time will be 400 .

Do you prefer a slightly more powerful PS5 vs One X or a 500 dollar Bonafide beast I know 600 dollars is extremely risky which is why they lost money back in 7th gen and because the consumers weren't ready to spend 600 dollars . I still think consumers aren't ready for a 600 dollar console but are they ready for a 500 dollar Sony console? What do you think is the sweet spot for PS5 and do you think 450 or even 500 is risky or can the consumer go big for a 600 dollar machine again? You yourself can you afford a 500 dollar machine ? How much should it cost to compete with 500 dollar Xbox two without kinect 3 ?

X1X is not even beating Pro in the US, let alone worldwide. 500 is too much that late in the gen. Doesn’t mean it would be too much for a new gen, but I’d still recommend going for the 400 price point. It’s the sweet spot.

Doubtful. My guess is that PS5 and PS5 Pro will launch simultaneously, so they can already have the more expensive high end model for those that want the extra hardware and are willing to pay more.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

399 is the sweet spot, those who want more power will now wait 3 years for the eventual PRO update.

dx11332sega said:

Do you prefer a slightly more powerful PS5 vs One X or a 500 dollar Bonafide beast I know 600 dollars is extremely risky which is why they lost money back in 7th gen and because the consumers weren't ready to spend 600 dollars . I still think consumers aren't ready for a 600 dollar console but are they ready for a 500 dollar Sony console? What do you think is the sweet spot for PS5 and do you think 450 or even 500 is risky or can the consumer go big for a 600 dollar machine again? You yourself can you afford a 500 dollar machine ? How much should it cost to compete with 500 dollar Xbox two without kinect 3 ?

I think in 2020, you can see a 10 Tflop+ PS5 at 399$.

That ll be enough with the stronger CPU, to make a big differnce over the Xbox One X, and it ll be enough.

Good price + Games > everything else with the consoles.

estebxx said:
399 is the sweet spot, those who want more power will now wait 3 years for the eventual PRO update.

A "sudo" 8k for those people that buy 8k TV's? nah.
I think next gen, there wont be a "mid-way" upgrade.