By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85
Ljink96 said:
Errorist76 said:

FIrst you say generations are over...then you say you’ve said nothing of that sort. Decide please. XBox One was never 599,- btw.

Yeah, I still think gens are over...where did I say I didn't say that? 

3) Never said the Xbox One X will hold its own against the Next PS Console

^^those two things are contradictory.

Intrinsic said: 
Ljink96 said: 

Umm...buy a faster CPU? And um you said PCs are being held back by the CPUs (i.e. Jaguar) but then you say your 7 year old i5 is faster than the One X? Am I missing something? Just get an i9 or Ryzen 7, and a 1080TI and you should be good to go. Should be more than enough. 

Sheesh.... how can you be so confidently wrong.

What he means is that games are made with the jaguar CPUs in the consoles in mind. So they are holding back the advancements that would otherwise be possible on the current generation of PCs on the market today.

What sense does it makw for him to buy a i9 or ryzen 7 when the game was designed to run on a jaguar?

Thank you.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Ljink96 said:

Umm...buy a faster CPU? And um you said PCs are being held back by the CPUs (i.e. Jaguar) but then you say your 7 year old i5 is faster than the One X? Am I missing something? Just get an i9 or Ryzen 7, and a 1080TI and you should be good to go. Should be more than enough. 

What he means is that games are made with the jaguar CPUs in the consoles in mind. So they sre holding back rhe advancements that would otherwise be possible on the current generation if PCs on the market today.

What sense does it nakw for him to buy a i9 or ryzen seven when the game was designwd to run on a jaguar?

There's a difference between your PC itself being held back and games that run on your PC being held back. I wasn't referring to the latter. He literally said PCs are being held back by those CPUs, not Games being developed by software teams are being held back. Just mean what you say.

Ljink96 said:
Errorist76 said:

FIrst you say generations are over...then you say you’ve said nothing of that sort. Decide please. XBox One was never 599,- btw.

Yeah, I still think gens are over...where did I say I didn't say that? All I said is you/whoever can think what they want to think. I'm sticking with Microsoft. And I meant 499, just a typo.

You do realize that "gens are over" means forward compatibility right?

Its going to shock you when in 2020/2021 MS releases an XB2 whose games can't run on the XB1/XB1x (and that will be the end of this generations are over nonsense).

Hence why i said you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Ljink96 said:
Intrinsic said:

What he means is that games are made with the jaguar CPUs in the consoles in mind. So they sre holding back rhe advancements that would otherwise be possible on the current generation if PCs on the market today.

What sense does it nakw for him to buy a i9 or ryzen seven when the game was designwd to run on a jaguar?

There's a difference between your PC itself being held back and games that run on your PC being held back. I wasn't referring to the latter. He literally said PCs are being held back by those CPUs, not Games being developed by software teams are being held back. Just mean what you say.

Man....comprehension is not your thing, right?! Sorry...I thought you were following our discussion.

Ljink96 said:
Intrinsic said:

lol... you're good.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
Ljink96 said:

Yeah, I still think gens are over...where did I say I didn't say that? 

Please...please tell me how. I think "Generations" by how the average gamer interprets them, are over. Then I said the Xbox One X wouldn't hold it's own against PS5... how do you even connect the two?

The poll speaks pretty loudly. $400-500 US seems to be where the companies should aim.
I personally find that $400 like with PS4 was a good price for release. I would probably be okay stretching up to $450, however if it was $500 they really need to justify it. You have to remember that these prices do not translate in a simple currency exchange which can effect rest of the world buyers.

Sony does have good sales going for them which may help to get a good bargain in production.

Ljink96 said:
Errorist76 said:

Please...please tell me how. I think "Generations" by how the average gamer interprets them, are over. Then I said the Xbox One X wouldn't hold it's own against PS5... how do you even connect the two?

Just read Intrinsic‘s comment on top of this page. He has already addressed that point.

Intrinsic said:
Ljink96 said:

Yeah, I still think gens are over...where did I say I didn't say that? All I said is you/whoever can think what they want to think. I'm sticking with Microsoft. And I meant 499, just a typo.

You do realize that "gens are over" means forward compatibility right?

Its going to shock you when in 2020/2021 MS releases an XB2 whose games can't run on the XB1/XB1x (and that will be the end of this generations are over nonsense).

Hence why i said you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think we have a disconnect between what we think are generations. And using compatibility as a standpoint is just off. There are consoles that support software emulation, or hardware emulation that are considered previous gen and next gen, respectively. All I'm saying is the chronological generations are done, there won't be a collective 9th gen, or 10th gen, as like I said, we don't even want to acknowledge Nintendo Switch as 9th gen. It's not a mid hardware upgrade, it's an entirely new device.

There were features of the 32X (4th) that wouldn't be available until 5th gen (without integrated chips) and yet it was still considered a 4th gen console. So using features as a way to quantify is never solid either. I just think it's silly to put consoles in a box of a generation now.  

Errorist76 said:
Ljink96 said:

Just read Intrinsic‘s comment on top of this page. He has already addressed that point.

Obviously, there's a disconnect between what each of us thinks a generation is. I'll just leave it at that. Using CPUs to gauge generational leaps is as broken as ever, as Nintendo again puts a wrench in the logic in this thread as Nintendo consoles haven't been generational leaps since the 64 to Gamecube. There's just no right or wrong answer, I'll just stick with my interpretation. And that's really all you can do.