By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony afford to make PS5 more expensive than PS4 launch price?

How much should it cost?

400 45 52.94%

450 15 17.65%

500 21 24.71%

550 0 0%

600 0 0%

600+ 4 4.71%

Total:85
devon1011 said:
They could afford it obviously. Just look at ps3, starting price isn't always necessarily some kind of death sentence. The Sony brand carries a lot of weight in itself, Sony can pretty much do what they want in the console-space.

That price along with the fact that they delayed the system really hurt the Ps3 early on. It will be a long time before we see a launch of a console anywhere close to the 600 dollar range.

Around the Network

I think it varies by market. NA has shown virtually no "loyalty" dating back to the days of Atari, always going with whatever they (or "we" rather, as I've done this myself) deem the best deal. If the next Playstation is priced higher than Microsoft's offering they will inevitably lose some of their share of the market here.

In a place like Europe or Japan, though, I'm not sure it would have too big of an impact. Those two regions just don't seem particularly fond of the Xbox brand regardless of circumstance.

I'm curious about whether or not the Switch would cut into the sales of the other two... It has long seemed like whereas Sony and Microsoft's sales directly eat away at the other's, Nintendo doesn't seem particularly affected by this competition.

It will be $349/$399.
99% positive.

400$ digital only+ 1 month PSplus+, 500$ with a bluray drive, more storage and 6 months PSplus.
Released after PSVR2 which is retrocompatible with PS4, no bundles.